Juggular

Any guess on re-re 2019?

With the Super Astute coming out my vote is for a King cab and/or the Monster Racer.

• Like 1

The more I think about this the more i feel we will see a Grasshopper Super G and maybe a Super Hornet. 

Ok, so once more I pray for a 959/GrB re re on the eve of the show. That's all I want lol. :P Come on Tamiya, deliver to me.

• Like 1

959 please.. that way I wont be tempted anymore by the £1500 one that was on ebay...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Theibault said:

Ok, so once more I pray for a 959/GrB re re on the eve of the show. That's all I want lol. :P Come on Tamiya, deliver to me.

is there another show on the Horizon that I don't know about ????, I thought that I had put the 959 Demon to bed LOL

Don't get your hope up guys, the 959/celica is one of the least likely tamiya models to be ever re-released. Not impossible but too many factors against it.

The Super Astute was a good surprise this year. Let's hope we get something as fresh next year. A lot of people are hoping to see a Falcon. It might take a few years but my guess is at some point it will happen. 

We just keep hoping... there's no news and nothing on the horizon. I think there's just a view that if you put something out into the universe enough eventually it might come true. That's certainly the case with the 959 lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, OOZZEE said:

is there another show on the Horizon that I don't know about ????, I thought that I had put the 959 Demon to bed LOL

Tamiya Fair is this weekend.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, didcos said:

Don't get your hope up guys, the 959/celica is one of the least likely tamiya models to be ever re-released. Not impossible but too many factors against it.

At first I thought the Fox will never be the-released as it’s a once off design but it did.

I believe 959/Celica will be re-released. It’s just a matter of time.

But nevertheless, I would like to hear your reasons on “too many factors against it” 😄 

This is going to be a VERY long post. I apologize in advance. Just trying really hard to conjure up a Falcon here.

THE FUTURE OF TAMIYA RE-RELEASES

Maybe, just maybe, there’s an underlying  pattern  to Tamiya’s re-release strategy.

Ok, if you look long enough, you’ll find patterns anywhere, but just consider this:

Looking at Tamiya’s off-road “buggy” category (excluding all “car” and “truck” bodied off-road vehicles like the XR311, Audi, Opel, Willys, Brat and so on, but including for historical reasons the Sand Scorcher, despite and because of the VW bug body), you’ll find that between 1979 (when the Rough Rider and Sand Scorcher appeared) and 1996 (when parts numbers for the kits crossed the 200 mark), Tamiya released 42 “Buggy” type vehicles.

Out of those 42, a total of 24 have so far been re-released, re-re-released or even re-re-re-released.

THE BUGGIES OF THE FIRST 100

For the First 100, it’s 36 buggies  total  between 1979 and 1991 with 23 re-released so far.

While re-releases might appear to be random, it just happens to be that those re-releases so far cover the model years 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984 and 1985 in their entirety. Every single buggy from those first seven years has been re-released.

For the 1986 model year, only one out of four buggies is as of yet un-re-released: The Falcon.

For 1987, three out of four haven’t been redone: The Striker, Hot Shot II and Super Sabre. The one exception being the Thunder Shot, which happens to be one of the earliest re-releases ever.

For 1988, only two out of six have been done so far, those two being the Avante and the Grasshopper II, both icons in their own right. Still missing are Sonic Fighter, Thunder Dragon, Terra Scorcher and Vanquish.

1989 scores two out of four re-released, as we’ve seen the return of the Egress and the Fire Dragon, but are still missing the Astute and Madcap. The Egress needs no explanation, while the Fire Dragon probably can be explained as a JDM phenomenon.  

1990 comes in one out of three, that’s the Manta Ray re-re’d  several times, while Avante 2001 and Saint Dragon are still outstanding.

1991, last year for the First 100, had three buggies originally released, Bear Hawk, Super Astute and Top Force. Being  #100, Top Force of course has been re-released a long time ago, with Super Astute joining the re-re ranks only right about now, and Bear Hawk still missing.

(For the record: Only six more buggies were released among kit numbers -101 and -200 or between 1992 and 1996, and out of those, only Dyna Storm has seen a re-release, and that was before anyone came up with the term “re-release”. )

Bottom line: Out of the buggies among the First 100, model years 1979-1985 have been completely re-released, 1986 is almost done, 1987-1991 have been done 25%, 33%, 50%, 33%, 66% respectively.

So whileat first glance re-releases have been all over the place with no discernible strategy apparent, there seems to be an underlying long-term progression from A to B, or from 1979 to 1991, so to speak. One might assume that Tamiya are trying to re-release all the First 100 buggies, some earlier, some later, for whatever tactical reasons (shared platforms, anniversaries, market demand… ) might present themselves at the time, but in general they’re moving along the original time line.

Or can you think of any other reason why we still haven’t seen the return of the Falcon? Mathematically, it is due, and right about now. In fact, it marks the divide between “Complete” and “Incomplete” re-re model year runs.

Out of buggies among the First 100, these are the Missing 13: Falcon, Striker, Hot Shot II, Super Sabre, Sonic Fighter, Thunder Dragon, Terra Scorcher, Vanquish, Astute, Madcap, Avante 2001, Saint Dragon, Bear Hawk.

THE CARS

And just to complete the picture here – out of the First 100, a whopping 60 were off-road or semi-off-road vehicles, 36 out of those in the buggy category leaving 24 “other” vehicles, namely 18 off-road trucks and 6 semi-offroad or Rallye-type passenger cars (including for several reasons the not entirely off-roadish Willy’s Wheeler. Sorry, it doesn’t fit the on-road categories of the time either).

NONE of the car-bodied vehicles have been rereleased, Audi Quattro, Opel Ascona, the Honda City known as Willy’s Wheeler, Lancia 037, Porsche 959 and Toyota Celica, and even though you can’t really put the latter two into the same mechanical category with the others, they’re still car-bodied and – it seems – therefore un-re-released.

NONE of the car-bodied vehicles have been rereleased - in what, some 15 years since the re-re-thing began in earnest? The Honda-body of Willy’s Wheeler and the 037’s body have been reused, yes, albeit not in classical re-issue fashion.  The Lancia seems to be a bit of an all-time-favourite regular though, with three separate appearances on three different platforms over the years, and the Honda… was that ever successful in the western world? Another Japanese home-market thing, maybe?

THE TRUCKS

As for the trucks – and this includes stadium trucks, monster  trucks, and  three-speeds, too  – one thing stands out: With the exception of the XR311, NO early (1977-1982) kit has been re-issued – ever (compare that to the buggy class). Cheetah, the SRB F-150, the “lower” three-speeds, even the original Wild Willy (along with Pajero) remain un-re-issued.  1983’s Subaru Brat is the first kit on the timeline to become available again.

Yes, the “higher” three-speeds (Bruiser and Mountaineer, the latter being outside of the First 100) and almost all early ORV-based monster trucks HAVE been re-released, but really, on the other hand, the Lunch Box/Midnight Pumpkin “stunt truck” category and the Clod Buster type of trucks, and even the ORV/revised ORV Blackfoot family never really went away in the first place, with Midnight Pumpkin sporting an astonishing 18 years of active service, longer than any other of the First 100, followed by Clod Buster’s 17 and Bullhead’s 14. And that is not counting Super Clod Buster.

Yes, the Clod Buster, Mud Blaster, King Cab and Hilux Monster Racer are all missing, along with several earlier truck-type vehicles, but this appears to be more or less random, especially considering the Mud Blaster – technically, it is a Monster Beetle  with a Brat body, and therefore already 100% available in the Monster Beetle and Brat kits, so it’s re-release is probably just a matter of time, and Super Clod Buster is still out there. That leaves ORV Blackfoot and Monster Beetle and the higher-level  three-speeds as the only two “real” re-released truck platforms, and King Cab/Hilux as the one “really missing” truck, and of course the one totally unexplained absentee from the Re-Re roster: Wild Willy. Sorry, Wild Willy II just doesn’t cut it.

If this were true, and trucks are taking a re-re backseat, it would explain why only #3 of the four SRB-based vehicles hasn’t been brought back alongside the other three: #3 had a truck body, that’s why. 1981’s SRB-based F-150 is a truck, and even though chassis and (a close-enough) body are both available in other kits (much like the Mud Blaster’s situation), there seems to be no real emphasis on truck-re-res. Or we would have seen an SRB F-0150 re-re instead of re-re-res for the other three..      

Yes, ALL the Falcon-based “Blitzer” type of stadium trucks have been brought back – but they’re not even part of the First 100, and they all had very long model runs (13 years for Stadium Blitzer, 12 years for Blitzer Beetle), they were still on their first time around when Re-Re began to take its course! (All three Falcon-based trucks were discontinued together in 2004). Which underlines one thing even more:

THE CONCLUSION

Early model off-road Re-Re is a buggy thing. No car-type re-re has been attempted so far, and the early  trucks, with few exceptions, never really went away in the same sense that the early buggies did,  so no concentrated re-re-effort is being made.

So if you’re looking for a pattern, look to the buggy class. That’s where it will be decided, that is the underlying  timeline Tamiya seems to be – more or less - following. 1979 to 1985 are done. 1986 is up. 1987-1991 will follow.

The timeline of the Missing 13 becomes even more apparent when broken down by model and model year:

Falcon (1986)

Striker, Hot Shot II, Super Sabre (all 1987)

Sonic Fighter, Thunder Dragon, Terra Scorcher, Vanquish (all 1988)

Astute, Madcap (both 1989)

Avante 2001, Saint Dragon (both 1990)

Bear Hawk (1991).

So? It isn’t a matter of “if” Falcon will happen, only a matter of “when”.

THE FUTURE

2WD EARLY

Falcon, last un-re-re’d of the really early 2WDs and last un-re-re’d 1986 model overall, will happen - and open the door eventually for the much later Bear Hawk (1991) currently the last – as in “release date” of the still-un-re-re’d buggy on the First 100 timeline.

2WD LATE

Astute (1989) already has it’s foot in the door thru the upcoming re-release of Super Astute (1991), and both will inevitably lead to Madcap and Saint Dragon (1989 and 1990, respectively).  Again, there’s the timeline - Tamiya only now (in 2018) got started on this 1989-up platform with the Super Astute, for whatever reason, reappearing first. And if you don’t think Tamiya will bring back Madcap – Madcap served for 14 model years, longer than any First 100 buggy, double the Fox’s time on the market, almost 5 times that of the Hotshot.

Hotshot is, by the way, one of the First 100’s most short-lived models, and so is Super Astute. Long availability is not equal to reputation and reputation not equal to commercial success, obviously, and all three may be deciding, but not key factors in re-re decisionmaking… 

4WD EARLY

Hot Shot II and Super Sabre  (both from 1987) – are probably just waiting out Hotshot (1986), Super Shot (1986) and Boomerang’s  (1986) current terms to bring up the rear of the Hotshot family.

Same goes for the successors  to the Hotshot platform, the already come-and-gone re-re’d  Thunder Shot (1987), which will probably come around again and maybe bring along either of the remaining Thunder Shot series cars, be it Thunder Dragon (1988) or a second re-issue of Fire Dragon (1989), if only for the sake of the home market.

This section of the market seems a bit overcrowded in any case, owning to the commercial success of the early 4WDs and the amazing number of Hotshot/Thundershot-family models released between 1985 and 1990, so it will probably take another 5 years for all of this to happen. Since the target market for these cars probably includes everybody born before 1985 and up to 50 years old, there’s at least another 10, maybe 15 years left for Tamiya to get it all done…

4WD LATE

Having said that, in class of their own,  Vanquish and Avante 2001 will follow the already re-re’d Avante at some point – Vanquish is a late 1988, Avante 2001 came out in 1990 - which leaves only the 1988 Terra Scorcher’s fate to be guessed at, the unlucky missing link between the Hotshot/Thundershot cars and the Avante and Post-Avante models.   

OTHERS

And of course, the Striker and the Sonic Fighter. While the latter is the most short-lived First 100 Tamiya buggy ever (on par with the Super Shot), the Striker was available for a full five model years – Tamiya First 100 buggy average is around 5.33 years – so “They are ugly and no-one wanted them” doesn’t quite explain why neither of them has been re-re’d yet, but their model year does. Striker is from 1987. Sonic Fighter is from 1988.

The bulk of Tamiya’s re-re-efforts however, is still working on getting 1986 squared away. But 1987 is probably ready to go, with 1988 and 1989 coming soon.

Now can I have my Falcon, please?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Please be the Falcon, if not the whole car, just the spares that everyone needs.
And do the Striker as well, just for a laugh.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, kyosho1 said:

At first I thought the Fox will never be the-released as it’s a once off design but it did.

I believe 959/Celica will be re-released. It’s just a matter of time.

But nevertheless, I would like to hear your reasons on “too many factors against it” 😄 

Here they are the main ones:

1) The body. Tamiya doesn't have the mould for the Celica and 959 bodies anymore. These body were made using a "reverse mould" in order to have some really excellent details (and the result was some very fragile bodies). As far as I know, this technique hasn't been used on other models since then. Sure, Tamiya could create new mould using the standard method but that costs money. And a lot of detail would be lost. I'm not even sure the lower part of the bumpers could be moulded correctly. We could also talk about licensing, not really from toyota or porsche but from all the companies which have their logos on the cars.

2) The chassis. It sure looks very nice but the way the gearboxes are attached to the main chassis is a joke. Especially the link between the main chassis and rear part. Any small jump and the chassis will break there. A realy lack of rigidity and definitely not strong enough to be driven nowadays. Up to now, Tamiya has tried to correct the weaker points in their models when re-releasing their models. Well, at least some of the main ones 😄 . I can't see how you could make that chassis strong enough without some major re-design.

Don't get me wrong, I like those cars. Despite their faults, they are really iconic. I just can't see them being re-released, expecially when there are so many other models that tamiya could make a buck from re-releasing with a lot less trouble. I hope I'm wrong 

• Like 1

I would have agreed on many views that it may never be released again until earlier on in the year that HG Clone Bruiser was released. This changed my mind about everything as if a company can rip off the Tamiya Bruiser, and do it well, for what would be expected to be a far lesser quality, experience and excellence, then absolutely Tamiya could re-make anything they wanted. I remain optimistic. 

I think the irony is that we'll probably get it one day and it'll be awful to drive and an average build! HAHAHAHAHAH

If they re-release the Saint Dragon I'll flip!  My first brand new hobby grade RC back in 91.  Ugly as sin but I still wish I never sold mine.  I'd love to get another.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, didcos said:

Here they are the main ones:

1) The body. Tamiya doesn't have the mould for the Celica and 959 bodies anymore. These body were made using a "reverse mould" in order to have some really excellent details (and the result was some very fragile bodies). As far as I know, this technique hasn't been used on other models since then. Sure, Tamiya could create new mould using the standard method but that costs money. And a lot of detail would be lost. I'm not even sure the lower part of the bumpers could be moulded correctly. We could also talk about licensing, not really from toyota or porsche but from all the companies which have their logos on the cars.

2) The chassis. It sure looks very nice but the way the gearboxes are attached to the main chassis is a joke. Especially the link between the main chassis and rear part. Any small jump and the chassis will break there. A realy lack of rigidity and definitely not strong enough to be driven nowadays. Up to now, Tamiya has tried to correct the weaker points in their models when re-releasing their models. Well, at least some of the main ones 😄 . I can't see how you could make that chassis strong enough without some major re-design.

Don't get me wrong, I like those cars. Despite their faults, they are really iconic. I just can't see them being re-released, expecially when there are so many other models that tamiya could make a buck from re-releasing with a lot less trouble. I hope I'm wrong 

Comment to 1):

"Tamiya doesn't have the mould for the Celica and 959 bodies anymore"

It has been repeated again and again that Tamiya doesn't have the molds anymore, so it has become "an unquestionable truth", but I still question that very much. There is so much incorrect information spread about Tamiya all the time, and often, it's sooner or later proven wrong. I've been a fanatic Tamiya enthusiast for more than 40 years (I'm 53) without any pauses, and since 1982, I've searched and collected information about Tamiya products as one of my major hobbies and I literally spend hours almost every day updating and correcting my "database".  I worked for a Tamiya country distributor from 1982 to 2000, I've asked questions like a madman, I've been to a distributors' global product workshop (in Switzerland in 1996 with representatives from Tamiya Japan). I constantly do everything I can to get credible information. I may have forgotten something, but as far as I know, the only real half decent "inside information" I've ever got, was when Tamiya representatives asked the distributors what they think a possible Wild Willy re-release (in Switzerland in 1996).  I don't think i have ever aquired any information from Tamiya Japan that wouldn't be available to anyone that would care so ask and search for information. So it puzzles me again and again how people "know" that the A: "959 molds are gone", B: "a 959 re-release is impossible because Porsche and Tamiya are enemies", C: "Egress will be release number 500", D: "The Blazing Blazer will be released next year, E: "The Sand Scorcher can never be re-released", F: "A TamTech-Gear Wild Willy and a Sand Scorcher Jr. are about to be released", just to mention a few.

A: I have never heard or seen any evidence for or against this.

B; Why would Tamiya and Porsche quarrel about the RC 959 when the 1/24 959 is still in the line-up and multiple Porsche models have been released since the 959?

C: Well, the DT-02 Sand Rover is 58500.

D: This was claimed by an "insider" some years ago and whereas the Blazing Blazer eventually may or may not materialize (I don't have the faintest idea), it would be "slightly delayed" now if the claim "next year" had been true.

E: Well....

F: Despite an enormous urge to know and all effort and time spent for many years, I know literally nothing about what's going on behind closed doors at Tamiya Inc. A TTG WW or SS Jr. prototype may have existed. Or not.... The TTG series quite obviously was a dead end for Tamiya (just like the Dangun series and RC Boy's series most likely were, and any half dedicated Tamiya enthusiast know about Tamiya products that didn't make it to series production), so the TTG WW may have been on Tamiya's agenda, but dropped when the TTG series was stopped. However, an SS Jr. would have taken very little effort considering that the MB Jr. body exists and a suitable Mini 4WD chassis exists, and from my perspective, it would seem that a SS Jr. would be popular. Still, Tamiya has (so far) not made it. So how likely would it be that it was ever "just about to be released"?

Unlike me, it's quite possible that there are Tamiya enthusiasts out there with actual insight at what's going on at Tamiya and there also may exist enthusiasts that spend more time and effort collecting information about Tamiya, or who do it in a much more intelligent way than I do. Still, "absolute truths" about new releases and upcoming re-releases have circulated since the advent of the internet and probably before that, but I don't think I have ever experienced that any of them would hold water

"These body were made using a "reverse mould""

Yes, they were blowmolded, and you are indeed right that they were extremely fragile (the 959 a lot more so than the Celica), and often the front wheel arches were already cracked on 959 bodies when kits or BPSes arrived at the distributor. With regard to other blowmolded bodies, the King Cab jumps to mind.

"Sure, Tamiya could create new mould using the standard method but that costs money. And a lot of detail would be lost. I'm not even sure the lower part of the bumpers could be moulded correctly."

Cost hasn't stopped Tamiya from re-releasing the Sand Scorcher, Rough/Buggy Champ, Super Champ/Fighting Buggy and probably most remarkable, the Bruiser and Mountaineer. In all cases, a quick comparison with the originals is all it takes to see that countless new tools had to be made, although possibly/probably not so much for the bodies although the Hilux body at least was massively modified.

Why would a lot of detail be lost if Tamiya made new molds for the 959? Admittedly, not all new Tamiya bodies have the details or crispness of the 959 and Celica, but many do, and with the advance in design and mold making since the mid 80's and the introduction of the slide molds now commonly used, high level of details and large undercuts are obviously not a problem anymore.

"We could also talk about licensing, not really from toyota or porsche but from all the companies which have their logos on the cars."

Fully agree. Tamiya doesn't seem to have any licensing problems with Japanese manufacturers, but the replacement of actual companies' logos with "fantasy" logos is a quite solid indication that Tamiya can't and/or has chosen not to put the effort and money into licensing to ensure that all decals or re-releases are like the originals. But take the Valliant, Jägermeister and Martini Porsches released in recent years. Yes, there are some compromises made, but generally, the decals are authentic and like they were on the original releases. One actual problem with the RC 959 is however the tobacco logos. Japanese "tobacco laws" are still extremely liberal, but in 1990/1991, Tamiya released a statement, informing that they saw it as their obligation to no longer "promote" tobacco with their products. The 1/24 static model 24098 Cabin R90V Nissan released in 1990 was their very last tobacco livery product. Unless I have overlooked something, no models have been released or re-released in "tobacco colours" and/or tobacco logos since then, also not with the trick used for real racing/rally cars with "Racing" instead of "Rothmans", "Came1st" instead of "Camel" and others. In several cases, Tamiya has re-released static model kits that use more or less the same molds as the "tobacco cars" (for instance the Nissan R89C), but not the ones in tobacco liveries, even though a combined re-release would probably make sense from a financial point of view. So, although I don't know and thus would never claim that Tamiya can't possibly re-release the 959 in Rothmans colours and Rothmans logos (or even "Racing" logos), I consider it extremely unlikely. The "missing" re-releases of the Rothmans 956 in both 1/24 and 1/12  when their "non-tobacco" counterparts were re-released can be considered a further indication.  And although MCI, Tabu Decals and others could offer the "correct" Rothmans decals for a possible 959 re-release, I would guess that a Paris-Dakar 959 without the Rothmans livery would be fairly unattractive to most enthusiasts. Not counting the diehards in here, but we are a minority.

Comment to 2):

Fully agree. Again, the diehards would buy a 959 re-release with all the flaws of the originals. Some would even prefer Tamiya not to improve anything, but the majority of potential customers possibly wouldn't. However, as discussed in this forum before, the 959 body drops straight onto the MF-01X chassis. Admittedly, whereas I like the MF-01X chassis very much for many reasons, it's hardly Tamiya's finest hour, and a disappointingly poor design for being so new. Still, it's much more robust than the 959 chassis and with the addition of oil shocks (maybe even with the original pogosticks), it handles way better than the 959 chassis. It even has the motor in the right place for a 959, which is obviously something that many appreciate in their models, judging about comments in here about multiple models with the motor in the "wrong" place.

Didco, don't get me wrong, this post is in no way a crusade against you or your post. And most importantly, if you should actually know for certain that the 959 molds don't exist or aren't Tamiya's property anymore (Tamiya has actually sold some molds for static model kits (CH-54 Skycrane sold to Revell jumps to mind), so anything is possible), then I would be happy to learn. Because I don't have the faintest idea despite reading and hearing claims for and against it for years. I dare say that I would enjoy getting inside information and facts about what's going on behind closed doors at Tamiya at least as much as anyone else in here, especially so as I can't provide a single piece of it myself.

So, what I'm trying to achieve with this (too) long post is, as before, to encourage everyone to be careful in spreading of "inside information" and "absolute truths" if you haven't seen evidence. Many of us (maybe all) are extremely eager to learn more about anything relatead to Tamiya, and all the good and credible information provided is made more difficult to judge when it's cluttered with rumors, urban myths and any information that isn't and can't be verified and often turn out to be incorrect when for instance the "next car to be re-released" simply doesn't materialize.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

I love this forum, great reading, thanks to all of the above. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

Didco, don't get me wrong, this post is in no way a crusade against you or your post. And most importantly, if you should actually know for certain that the 959 molds don't exist or aren't Tamiya's property anymore (Tamiya has actually sold some molds for static model kits (CH-54 Skycrane sold to Revell jumps to mind), so anything is possible), then I would be happy to learn. Because I don't have the faintest idea despite reading and hearing claims for and against it for years. I dare say that I would enjoy getting inside information and facts about what's going on behind closed doors at Tamiya at least as much as anyone else in here, especially so as I can't provide a single piece of it myself.

Hi there. As you mentionned swizerland I few times, we might be neighbours 😄 

Very interesting long post. Sorry if it seemed I was listing "facts", I was just giving my opinion on why I think it will not happen anytime soon, using whatever little information and knowledge I have available. I am in no way an insider or even have any link to insiders. Just a fan, like most around here.

Regarding the molds, you are right, we need to be careful about rumours. I might be repeating what people have been saying for years all over the internet. But a few of these people seem to be well connected so I take that into account when forming an opinion. I didn't know about the king cab beeing blow-molded, I was under the impression that this techique was forgotten after the problems of the 959/celica bodies. I am in no way an expert on making lexan bodies but I was under the impression that some parts of these bodies would be difficult to make using the standard technique. Maybe I'm wrong.

Your comment about the MF-01X chassi is interesting. I was thinking that IF tamiya ever decide to make a 959, it would be on some kind of M-Chassis..

As I said, I really hope I'm wrong. Even tough I have a few of the originals, I'd probably buy both the celica and 959 if they were re-released again, just to be able to drive them without worrying too much.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

So, what I'm trying to achieve with this (too) long post is, as before, to encourage everyone to be careful in spreading of "inside information" and "absolute truths" if you haven't seen evidence. Many of us (maybe all) are extremely eager to learn more about anything relatead to Tamiya, and all the good and credible information provided is made more difficult to judge when it's cluttered with rumors, urban myths and any information that isn't and can't be verified and often turn out to be incorrect when for instance the "next car to be re-released" simply doesn't materialize.

Great post. So accurate.

I really want a Terra Scorcher...we had an off road track on base at Ramstein, and I campaigned a Scorcher for quite awhile, finally beating the top gun with a heavily modified Optima. Sadly, the Scorcher met her demise when I lost control, hitting a rock in the infield and cracking the tub. Took forever to get a replacement, by that time the optimamids were showing up, so I bought a Lazer ZX to race. I finally got the  tub,fixed the car and traded it to our chief master sargeant.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cashrc said:

I really want a Terra Scorcher...we had an off road track on base at Ramstein, and I campaigned a Scorcher for quite awhile, finally beating the top gun with a heavily modified Optima. Sadly, the Scorcher met her demise when I lost control, hitting a rock in the infield and cracking the tub. Took forever to get a replacement, by that time the optimamids were showing up, so I bought a Lazer ZX to race. I finally got the  tub,fixed the car and traded it to our chief master sargeant.

If you read all above you may not have to wait to long this year or possibly next year.....fingers crossed.

I had long suspected that @Mokei Kagaku was a Tamiya insider.  Or a curator for the museum Tamiya has.  I guess not. 

Maybe Matteo (of youtube fame)?  Well, Matteo looks to be a bit younger. And if Mokei were Matteo, he'd say, "As first..." (I'm fond of Matteo saying that...it kinda became his signature phrase)  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1