TwistedxSlayer

TB01 - Levant Rebuild/Build.

Cheers guys.

I stole the wheel idea from @ALEXKYRIAK

After seeing his TT02B. And they have worked even better than i could have hoped for. I just need the motor to turn up now. Gone for a cheap and cheerful HPI 15t Firebolt. Should work great a HW 1060 and 8.4v pack

20180312_141913.jpg.d672180f5edf26e6bb60

New motor arrived today, taken a HW1060 out of one of the kid’s Madbulls, and fitted it with a TBLE02.

So I’ll be running the Firebolt, 19t Ti Coated Pinion, HW1060 on I think it’s a 54t spur gear. I’ve fitted the HW1060 and motor already, I just need to solder the wires in place, and hopefully it will be running tomorrow!

• Like 1

Finished!

Well almost.

Soldered the motor in, and stoke the heat sink from the TB01 and took her out around the garden for about 15 minutes, and everything got quite hot. Very hot, failed the 5 second rule, but during that time it handled and performed exactly like I wanted it to.

Brought her back in and decided to swap out the 19t for a 17t pinion gear, I forgot running a 54t spur with a 19t pinion and them large wheels is going to need quite a bit of torque to move, so onto 17t for an easier life, and if that doesn’t work I’ll go for either a 57t or 62t spur gear.

48F3DD62-30FF-47C8-BB8C-7800718F96AB.jpe

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Love it,TS! Looks mean. How’s it running?

Still getting warm, need to run it again without the snow and see how it goes. I may have to increase the spur gear size, or go back to brushless like it was in the 1st place. 

C0C76780-F70A-4AC9-81CE-240E321552EB.jpe

Took the dust cover off the TB01 after wet grass ended up killing the RX, as I hadn’t put it in a balloon or any other type of water proofing. Needed to cut a new hole in it as the aerial is at the front on the Levant, not the rear of the middle chassis brace.

• Like 1

Didn't like the 23t motor either.

Gone brushless. Novak 17t Vulcan motor. With the TBLE02. 17t pinion. OMG it flies. ESC still getting warm. May drop to 16t but also considering switching to a much larger spur gear but it will be 0.4 and I'm not sure if the teeth will hold up off road.

• Like 1

Sticking with 0.6 mod spur and pinion. Going to attempt 61t spur and either 14, 15 or 16t pinion. On the plus side running the TBLE02 over the HW1060 means ive actually got brakes!

61t spur and 14t pinion gear on order. Trying my best to lower these temperatures. If that fails i may have to get a decent ESC like a HW 10BL60 and/or LiPos once again but i really dont wanna use LiPos but i really want this truck to run perfectly. It could be absolutely brilliant with the right combo in it.

The absence of a slipper clutch has limited you in some way in your adventures?

1 hour ago, vodka said:

The absence of a slipper clutch has limited you in some way in your adventures?

Lack of a slipper isnt so much of an issue. Possible swapping to TB01 diffs with a slightly lower gear ratio than standard may not be helping.

14t pinion fitted. Slightly concerning that it already had a 61t spur gear in there. Now i got 3 new spare gears i really dont need. If this doesnt work ill have to get a new ESC like a Hw10BL60.

14t pinion worked a charm but still a little warm for my liking.7

So i like trying to find parts that arent designed for Tamiya models and trying to make them fit. Example TL01B suspension onto a TB01, TB01 diffs into a TT02B. Nothing to major.

My latest attempt....

DF02 spur gear (67t) into a TB01/Levant. The biggest spur for the TB01 in 0.6 is 61t but i wanted a taller drive ratio. So i thought id try to fit the DF02 spur as its 67t and looks like it should fit...

Well i was wrong.

TB01 prop shaft is 6.5mm thick.

DF02 prop is 5mm thick.

There lies the 1st issue.

2nd issue. The flange at the front and rear is longer than the TB01 spur.

Solution.

Drill out the opening to 6.5mm

Done.

Cut the flanges down so they fit.

Done.

Test fit.

Fits good.

Until you fit the top plate back onto the vehicle.

This is the part which is a current work in progress. Im thinking i may need a custom top brace or to try a brace off another model like a TB Evo style.

The 67t does fit with modification. Its not perfect yet. But it will be.

Pictures to follow once ive stripped it back down again

• Like 1

A8sXkev.jpg i think my heat issues are coming from this.

I swapped out the smaller one for the bigger one to run the alloy gpm prop. Its 2 teeth different. 15t for the TB01. 13t for the Levant. Adding the extra teeth is clearly causing issues. Im going to swap back to the standard Levamt setup and go from there. Hopefully it will be more sensible with heat from the ESC with the whole drive train being under less stess.

All drive train swapped back to standard. In a much quicker time.

Going to keep the 14t pinion in the Levant on 61t spur. If the temps are fine I may switch to a 16t pinion then 17t if they behave. I've got the option to swap out the spurs between 58t and 55t. I seriously doubt the 55t will ever be seen in the Levant

• Like 1

Currently having issues with the rear diff skipping teeth on..

With the torquey brushless motor I may swap it back to the TB01 alloy prop and splined 15t bevel gears. Bit of faffing around but it should be OK running a 14t pinion on 61t spur and the brushless motor.