Juggular

How is Sandmaster?

While perusing on ebay, Kyosho Sandmaster kit caught my eye.  How is it?  What Tamiya kit would be comparable to Sandmaster?  

If we are talking about the modern Sandmaster kit / ARTR then its comparable to the more basic Tamiya's like the Rising fighter and DT-03 buggies.  It's probably closest to the Rising Fighter given they are both feature pogo stick shocks.  I quite enjoyed building and tinkering with my SandMaster but utlimately it was more of a build experience than a running model for me..

IMG_0560.jpg

• Thanks 1

I've just got a SandMaster from eBay and am pleased with it. Only cost me £30 + P&P. Had to add motor, esc & battery, but all in all i'm chuffed with it. (I do like Kyosho stuff though!). Think it's has some upgrades (turnbuckles, wheels/tyres and strengthened rear shock holder. Doesn't look like it's ever been run though - soon put that right!

IMG_3851.JPG

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Percymon said:

If we are talking about the modern Sandmaster kit / ARTR then its comparable to the more basic Tamiya's like the Rising fighter and DT-03 buggies.  It's probably closest to the Rising Fighter given they are both feature pogo stick shocks.  I quite enjoyed building and tinkering with my SandMaster but utlimately it was more of a build experience than a running model for me..

IMG_0560.jpg

That is One Good Looking Buggy!!  The look of it alone makes me want one.  I quite like that "relentless" also.    

I have noticed stiff suspension in most of the running videos. Bottoming out also. One video, however, had shown quite dynamic movements in the front. I suspect he installed better shocks. Sadly videos don't show how controllable or enjoyable it is to drive it. 

If you install better shocks, wouldn't it be closer to DT-03 than Grasshopper II?  

@Phil_H had good results with the samdmaster, enough for me to start contemplating getting one! 🤔😁

• Like 1

Oil filled shocks will bring it more in line with the that-03’type buggies but I would say the DT-03nlooks a racist set up in terms of stance, track width/wheelbase/height ratios.

adding £20 of oiled filled shocks to the Sandmaster improves the rise and handling (kit springs are way too hard) , but then it’s cost more than a DT-03 which I feel with lexan body and less exposed chassis is a better runner.

i bought the sandmaster when it first launched out of curiosity   Something to tinker with, but DT-03 better runner imo 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

@Phil_H had good results with the samdmaster, enough for me to start contemplating getting one! 🤔😁

I generally prefer offroad-ability over speed.  Softer suspension, good handling, etc over speed.  Having said that, though, that video was impressive.  Sandmaster's very low ceter of gravity works quite well with brushless.  That's another thing I noticed.  Very low CG.   

I don't know if it's Percymon's photo skills or my eyes that are stuck in the 80's, but your silver Sandmaster looks a lot better than sleek looking DT03.  I never had Kyosho.  But now, Sandmaster is definitely on my target list.  

If you've not read it there is a rather lengthy thread going back to 2013 when a few of us got hold of the SandMaster at launch time - shows some of the mods undertaken and a fair bit of feedback on the build, some of the issues in stock form and some mods..

Sadly some of the photo links to peebucket will now be broken (unless you have the Chrome plug-in fix), but the text is still good ;)

• Like 1

That was an interesting thread.  

Plastic pinion is interesting.  I thought body panels were Lexan too.  Instruction I downloaded had shock piston with 3 holes.  So I assumed they were oil filled.  Not that I will keep the original shocks.  GregM said binding beyond 20mm clearance, others saying 30mm clearance without binding...  I would not want 20mm clearance.  Grinding dog bones GregM did seems like a lot of work.  It all seems like some change occurring after initial production.  I wonder if Kyosho Nexxt had fixed issues with Sandmaster.  Maybe later production of Sandmaster had parts from Nexxt? 

And now I understand why you compared it to the likes of Grasshopper II.  Lowest cost buggy with drive quality reflecting the price.  

If I ever get it, I'll get it with an expectation of "toy level RC."  For $160 I could get a Sandmaster RTR, or I could get a Konghead kit.  Konghead is obvious preference for me.  If I could find a used Sandmaster cheap, I will get it then.  It's such a great looking buggy though.  

Thank you for all your information Percymon.