Dear Colleagues,

i am quite new here and this is my first post.

After 20 years out of RC cars a project with my small son brought me back to Tamiya 🤗. It is great to find this old vintage cars in the net and retrofit them. 💪🏻

Ok our latest project: The Striker

This is the actual state now we start disassembling.

Cu the next days :-) 

Jochen

65F253AE-EE16-42B4-83B9-85167FA15F43.jpeg

3BA3976C-DB50-4300-A4B3-D77187C2215E.jpeg

• Like 5

Nice to see another Striker get resurrected :)

Best of luck on your project! Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Yes best of luck, you have found two Striker fans so far in me and Grastens ;p

Nice to see a true plastic fantastic. I'm in the process of building a Striker.  I just need to apply decals and paint the driver and she's ready to run.  If I dare.

I can see yours has been reinforced around a couple of the usual weak spots.  If you intend to buy a new chassis, I hope you have deep pockets.  Despite being almost universally derided by the RC community, the Striker and Sonic Fighter have become even more collectable in recent years and the body parts/chassis sets often have asking prices in excess of £100.  It's almost Ironic.  A few years ago, you couldn't give them away.

Enjoy your project.  

• Like 1

Thanks for your interest guys 👍🏻

BODY:

Yes someone did some modifications 😩. But it is not THAT bad. With new decals only 1 or 2 holes are visible. There is no crack under the aluminum parts.

My questions:

- Suspension: should i use the existing yellow one? Or looking for original? Are this the same as from a Mad Fighter?

- Color: I am not a friend of chemical bleaching things. But is it allowed to paint such a Body white? 🤔 or is it something blasphemic? (If i paint i can close all holes of the aluminum🤨)

The only upgrade i want to do are the bearings. 

The yellow CVA dampers will be ok if they are not leaking now as they are better than the old friction spring originals . If they do not leak then just strip them down and clean them inside and out then refill will damper oil . The body and chassis can be painted with auto paints . Prepare body by washing thoroughly , do any filling of holes and sand down , prime up with plastic primer , then select your finish coat colour . Always paint in a warm temperature though ;)

2 hours ago, Fruitfly01 said:

A few years ago, you couldn't give them away.

Exactly .

I sold 2 of these , one was a complete parts pile to build a new built one , sold as cheap as chips - I should have kept them :(

• Like 2

I know how to paint and work with ABS 😉 my question was a bit different.

What is better for keeping the value? (Not talking about money but makes it more original)

Paint - looks better, but not original

no Paint - doesn’t look that good but is original 😬🙈

About the suspension: Is the blue one similar to the Mad Fighter? 

I know the yellow ones are better - but this is not a every day car 😉 and sometimes it is absolutely amazing to go back to the roots 💪🏻😁

tamiya recommends painting the body, which in the end looks much better!

the yellow shocks at the time were the recommended hop up route (they are in the tamiya promo vid)

my second striker is painted and waiting as parts to build, i have painted ts-26 white, i have got a set of white cva oil shocks to install to match the body colour!

my runner which has the original blue friction shocks, runs great, albeit a bit like a jelly on wheels! :-)

(i have a spare new chassis for sale for £40 as well)

the trickiest bit is painting the driver and applying the stickers so they dont peel! my runner ones lifted slightly so i may go for a mci set on the new build

Thanks Taffer for your answer.

OMG 😲 i have to paint 😞

I thought mechanical restoration only.

Ok i will try to get used in painting 💪🏻 This will destroy all my timeline 😂😂

• Like 1