Steve_i_o

Help with the kids xmas present

Afternoon all,

For xmas my kids got a Grasshopper kit, its all built but now we are having issue with the receiver/speed controller, i've configured the ESC for a brushed motor but i am unable to get it to connect to the receiver.  

I've tried binding it but im not getting the red LED (im a complete novice when it comes to this) and now at a loss

Many Thanks

Steve

http://20180106_135743.jpg upload photoes

Red led on RX not flashing? Try the bind plug in CH3 hole.

Although if you've bought a new radio set, they usually come bound ready to go don't need to rebind. Plug the servo into CH1 and see if that responds?

I would start by connecting the battery servo and motor. I assume you have the battery plugged in and the esc turned on. This supply’s the power to the reciever. Your tx and rx should already be connected out of the box.

We had it all built and connected assuming it would be plug and play but nothing, i removed it all from the chassis for diagnosis 

Sounds like an issue with power getting to your receiver. Make sure the lead from the esc is plugged in to channel 2 and the right way round (white is signal, then positive and negative) Make sure it is fully seated. If you have power to your esc and it is switched on you should get a light on the receiver regardless of it being synced to the transmitter.

(I think)

The sort of thing that is easy to resolve in person but tricky via message.

i would have the servo plugged in as you normally hear it twitch when powered up which confirms power to the RX. Do you have a multimeter handy to check?

Lentner,

Thanks for the help, however, when all connected up i don't get anything from the servo when power is applied.

Annoyingly i dont have a multimeter handy

Here are some things to try....

Is your 7.2 volt battery fully charged?

Are the batteries in the transmitter / hand control new?

Are you turning the hand control on first and the car on second?

Have you got the switch on the ESC turned on?  Have you tried it in both the on and off positions (maybe the label got switched around?)

After you bound the hand control to the receiver, did you remove the bind plug before testing the ESC, receiver and servo?

Are you connecting to the blue and yellow wires from the ESC to the green and yellow wires on the motor?

Carefully remove the ESC plug from the receiver, and check that you can see all 3 pins in channel 2 on the receiver..

Backlash has given you some sensible things to try. But you really need to know if power is getting to the rx. Can you confirm at least that the esc light is on?

Sorry for the delay in responding

I have borrowed a multi-meter and the ESC is sending out power, i have a green flashing light on the ESC

Is your 7.2 volt battery fully charged?   It is

Are the batteries in the transmitter / hand control new?    Everything is new

Are you turning the hand control on first and the car on second? Just tried it this way around and its still the same

Have you got the switch on the ESC turned on?  Have you tried it in both the on and off positions (maybe the label got switched around?)   it is on, i have a green flashing light (i assume this means its on)

After you bound the hand control to the receiver, did you remove the bind plug before testing the ESC, receiver and servo?      Have not been able to find out the binding status of the hand control and receiver

Are you connecting to the blue and yellow wires from the ESC to the green and yellow wires on the motor?    I haven't connected the motor yet

Carefully remove the ESC plug from the receiver, and check that you can see all 3 pins in channel 2 on the receiver..      All the pins are all present   

I am beginning to think its the receiver not working 

Are you leaving the bind plug in the receiver when you are trying to test everything?

All of the 2.4GHz radios that I have, you have to remove the bind plug after you have gone through the binding process.. I turn the power off to the receiver (turn off the ESC, unplug the battery etc) before I remove the bind plug, and then turn the power back on to the receiver once the bind plug has been removed, and test if the binding process worked..

Is this what you are doing?

I'm not sure what Flysky radio that you have, but Willy explains the Flysky bind process in post 4 of this thread..

Thanks Backlash,

Had a read and i'm not even getting a red light on receiver or any twitching of the servo

im going to see if i can get a proven receiver i think  

Yeah could be a dud, best way is to swap in a known-good unit.

Use your multimeter to check there's power coming out of its servo lead just to be sure... should be 6V DC between the red & black wires.

Also use the continuity tester to make sure the bind plug is conductive between the 2 pins in the plug. Have had some FlySky bind plugs that weren't connected, probably a break in the wire somewhere. I usually don't bother taking new ones out the bag anymore, I just use an old faithful tried&tested bind plug (from Spektrum). 

Steve, are you measuring between the red and black wires?

As Willy said, you should be getting between 5 to 6 Volts DC on your meter..

Check the volts across the battery... it should be at least 7.5-8.0V after coming off the charger.

You didn't say what charger you're using, it it a slow (over 2hr?) type? BrandNew nimh packs can sometimes go into lazy hibernation & refuse to wakeup, slow charging might not be enough to wake them up. Needs a kick with a fast charger to get every cell awake then 5-10cycles before they're operating normal.

Yeah its across the red and black. I've got the standard charger that came with the kit (Slow i assume) just checked the battery and its at 7.8V 

1 hour ago, Steve_i_o said:

Yeah its across the red and black. I've got the standard charger that came with the kit (Slow i assume) just checked the battery and its at 7.8V 

yeah ok your batt is alright, it's not asleep

Something suss about the ESC then, assuming you're poking the right pins (or even if you aren't...) there shouldn't be any way if getting 0.99V reading. It'll be either 0V or 6.0V across any combination of those 3 leads to the plug.

Try another ESC or find another power source to juice the RX. I keep a 4xAA cradle or external BEC with servoplug around the workbench for testing. Test everything before taping them into car, avoids headaches later.

Probably best to do that. The TBLE-02 is quite reliable for the most part, but sometimes the BEC goes on them, as appears to have happened with yours.

Well Fellas, 

Cant thank you all enough for all the help, it was the ESC at fault, replaced it this morning and it all now works and the kids are now trashing it :lol:

Many thanks

Steve

2 hours ago, Steve_i_o said:

Cant thank you all enough for all the help, it was the ESC at fault, replaced it this morning and it all now works and the kids are now trashing it :lol:

Rare occurrence but guess you got short straw :) better luck next kit!