Returner

Advice please

I am returning to RC building after a break of 15ish years and it would seem things have moved on a bit since I last looked. 

I would like to build a 4wd buggy but i am a bit confused by the choice. So the question is what should I go for ? 

I am quite happy with any build difficulties, I don’t have any think left from 15 years ago so will need a “kit”, I’m based in the uk. So far I’m torn between the Neo scorcher and the plasma edge which look and are priced similarly. 

Any suggestions ?

Welcome to the club.  @Returner

4wd buggy?, you say?, have you thought about a crawler, scaler, monster truck, drifter or racer yet? you will......

Not sure about those cars but someone will advise soon.

Welcome! So the two buggy choices you made are good, tough entry level buggies. The only difference would be the bodies as they’re both based off the tt02b platform (I’m assuming you mean plasma edge II as the 1st one has been discontinued). So the problem with RC’s is that once built, you won’t leave it alone and want to start adding mods... in which I would suggest you bypass the two cars you posted and by the tt02b-ms, same chassis but it comes with a lot of mods saving you some loot in the process... well sorta as you’d need to buy tires and an esc if I remember correctly. 

You could go vintage and find a tl01b and run the ******* outta it as they’re really tough... and parts are still available.

If returning after 15 years are you in for some changes...

1st, the two buggies you have shortlisted are built of the TT-02 chassis with the B at the end for Buggy. (longer wishbones and ride higher but not what you would have been used to Back In The Day) There are a few other 4WD Buggies on this chassis. 

I got one second hand to get me back in but find it WAY to low for my backyard bashing needs. I ran a Boomerang and then a Thundershot BITD. 

I built a Mud Blaster 2 on the WT-01 chassis. (well 2 one for me and one for my eldest, then bought another for the middle boy......)

2nd up, Batteries, ESC & Motors, so much choice at so little money compared to BITD.

As mentioned above there is also more choice on your layout options with more different type of vehicles than you were used to. Welcome back and be prepared to have an empty wallet.

I have restored 2 of my old cars, bought 3 new ones and 3 second hand ones all in 3 months......

Thank you for the replies so far all very welcome ... my budget was around £200 total but I can see with all the different options this will need to increase.  I just wondered if there was any other models I should be considering?

Welcome back, your story sounds very familiaer!

What do you want to do with the buggies? Just bashing around the backyard, racing against friends, club racing?

I bought the TT02B Plasma edge II as my reintroduction a bit over a year ago. They were straightforward to build and allowed my son (4) and me to play around with them. Then the Boomerang was rereleased so that got added. I now have 10 and the 2 I wouldn't buy again are the Plasma Edge II's. Their performance is similar to the rere buggies, they handle better on tarmac but low ground clearance makes them worse offroad. I like the look of the old buggies better so would always choose to run one of those. In saying that the TT02B can handle a ton of abuse so they have become the loaners for anyone who wants to run them.

The TT02B can't race, but will be fine against friends with similar buggies or rerelease buggies.

Unfortunately Tamiya don't really have a mid level buggy. You could find a DB01 Durga kit, more expensive but a far more capable car. They also offer the DB01RR which is much more expensive but could do some club racing. 

• Like 1

Jon thank you for your response ....To be honest I hadn’t really thought about racing so I guess I would just thrash about the local bmx track ... so what do you think about the Dark Impact  ? Or am I going off at a tangent? 

Previous builds were the Mad Fighter 2wd and a 4wd I can’t remember the name of ! And is there any other stockists other than time tunnel?

If you looking to go BMX track bashing you need something thats good at jumps, which is not a TT-02B. Its why I went for a WT-01's in hope that they will take a beating on BMX tracks and caravan parks from me and two lads!!!

2nd hand wild dagger 4wd possible 4ws, big wheel truck. £50-70. This is the 4wd WT-01 that @Baddon is talking about.

2.4Ghz radio + receiver £20

Lipo battery and charger £40

2x Brushless combo's £60

Then you have a 4wd brushless go anywhere monster truck. for under £200

I was going to say, be mindful of other options like DF03 (Dark Impact) or DF02.  Though there had been reports of DF03 shaft gears failing... BlackholeSun describes it as "too perfect" to have fun with.  A sentiment I agree with, about many 4WD buggies.  I end up preferring 2WD, because 2WD can slip, slide, spin and drift easier than 4WD.  4WD is much more obedient to your command.  It just goes where you want it to go.  2WD, you often have to fight it.  Which makes it more fun to drive, imo.  I have Wild Dagger (WT01) and Blackfoot (2WD).  I prefer 2WD Blackfoot because it's more fun than 4WD.  But that could be my personal preference.  (How's that for going off on a tangent?)

Going back to 4WD buggies, I only have DF02 Gravel Hound.  DF02's body is not as flashy looking as TT02B, but the chassis is comparable.  The difference is that TT02B was built from a successful on-road chassis.  DF-02 was built as a buggy from the start.  DF02 has the shaft at the floor.  The sturdy shaft housing is about 3cm in height.  It stiffens up the floor pan so there is no flexing between the front and rear gearboxes.  (I have not heard of any flexing issues with TT02B either, thus two chassis being comparable)

Here is a summary of DF chassis from blackholesun.  

http://www.blackholesun.fr/en/39-en/tamiya/201-tamiya-off-road-chassis?start=14

His review on Dark Impact: http://www.blackholesun.fr/en/35-en/my-models/off-road/buggy-truck/128-tamiya-58370-dark-impact-df-03

• Like 1

I’d go with a WT01. It’s rwd so jumps better than the 4wd variants (I have both) and the 4wd is nose heavy for jumps and a heavier rig, the 2wd is also much cheaper to modify to brushless power. It’s super tough and my go to basher.

There’s a vid somewhere at a BMX track, I’ll have to dig it out, in the meantime, some pics...

large.image.jpeg.842c2345f1cdb0ed0e8d813

Probably the most versatile chassis, it is symmetrical and can be RWD, 4WD, badword one of mine is switcheable so can even be FWD, they can be 4ws, narrow track or widetrack and most shells will fit with a little trimming.

large.IMG_1055.JPG.ae0babd4ff0fc98ec7ccc 

4WD gearbox chassis

large.image.jpg.218b7f7469bd4a6d3e42f5b2

2WD chassis has a dummy casing in lieu of the gearbox;

gallery_28308_2248_97357.jpg

gallery_28308_2248_68741.jpg

Lots of stockists, try looking at Modelsport in the UK. The WT01 is readily available as the MudBlaster II.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m liking the look of the gravel hound ...anyone know a good stockist ?

i also agreein the 2wd verses 4wd so maybe I’ll have to get both the neo fighter looks cheap and cheerful 

• Like 1

Neo Fighter (DT03 chassis) is great for mucking about with. It's what I got to get back in this year and I would agree with comments above about 2wd vs 4wd for having fun. I have truck wheels on mine now and it's ace. The aqroshot would be worth a look if you like that idea.

Just to be a pain I think the best value 2wd atm is the TRF201 from TamiyaUSA. Its heavily discounted so wont be that much more than a DT03. BUT they only ship within the USA so it will be a pain to get. NZPost offer a service where they act as the local destination in the USA and will then deliver here, not sure if Royal Mail or anyone offer that service, or if you have friends in the USA.

I don't know about the DF03 other than seen people say it is good and others say its fragile. A number of people on here have them though.

If racing interests you then check out your local clubs, you will be abke to pick up something secondhand that is good value. There are a load of bargains down here at the moment as people are changing for the new season.

Consider the radio gear too. A lot of people like Flysky as its cheap and works well. I think its worth spending a bit more on something like Futaba 3PV (or 4PV if budget allows) initially rather than buying a cheap set per car. I have a range of sets and now I run a Sanwa MT4S and just bought my son a Futaba 3PV as it was getting to hard working out what set for each car etc, and the better sets are much nicer to use.

Unfortunately its quite expensive to setup initially to get a decent charger and radio gear, but once you have it it becomes relatively cheap to add cars

Agsin thank you for all your advice. 

The TRF looks a bit tasty but I’m going to guess out of my price range at present and maybe a bit of a handful. 

I’m currently leaning towards a easy accessible 2wd for under £200 to ease myself back in .... probably not the cheapest way in the long run but it will quench my thirst for the time being. 

Kit 42167 is usd175 on sale so don't rule it out, its 7pounds more than a TT02B...but you have the hassle and expense of getting it to the uk...

Comes with wheels and a body,  no motor, esc or tyres though

DF03 (Dark Impact) has a bottom loading battery which might not be everyone’s cup of tea.... I see your after a 2WD now so scrap that anyway ;)

Try Modelsport.co.uk and Wheelspin.co.uk for UK online retailers.

For the DT03 I would recommend looking on eBay. The Neo Fighter is available new on there for under £80 if you don't mind that body. Of course buying from Modelaport or similar might get you a better value bundle deal with radio gear servo and batteries.

Just a quick one to tie this thread up .... I went back to basics and ordered the mad fighter, which was the first car I built 15 years ago .... it won’t be a challenge but it will tell if I still have a taste for it ..... thank you to everyone who contributed with advice it is greatly appreciated.