jhoneyman

Help with Ta01/02 Touring car rebuild

Just joined and will most certainly be a regular.
Some 15+ years ago I morphed a ta01/ta02 and made it into a touring car.

Bought my son a tamiya at christmas and now the bug has bit me so want to get my old car running again (in some capacity anyway)
Been trying to figure out what I had done all those years ago..  The front end seems fine (as per the photo's) 
It is the rear end that is odd to say the least.... The rear suspension arms don't line up with the mounts so I must have constructed a 'spacer' to make it work all those years ago....  Obviously I want to make this as near a perfect build as I can.. 

I must have changed over the rear arms so that the bodyshell would fit.

I also need new steering gear and can't figure out how the steering servo attaches to the chassis (Tape?)

Who can a) figure out what I done and b). what parts I need to make this work (Properly)

20180109_132836.jpg

20180109_132923.jpg

20180109_133055.jpg

20180109_133032.jpg

20180109_133815.jpg

Looks like you may have TA02 rear arms (fitted in reverse) and a TA01 gearbox/mount setup hence the need for a spacer. 

The TA02 chassis is a different length to the TA01, it also looks like you have a DF02 carbon chassis, I'm not sure whether there is any difference there as well but it may be a factor.

Yes I have discovered as to why I reversed the rear arms - It was to fit the bodyshell I had at the time. 
By reversing the arms It pushes the rear wheels into the chassis which then fits the bodyshell.. Draw back is the need for spacers and ill fitting dampers..
unsure which route to take her to get the car on the road again.

Measure the wheelbase (axle centre to axle centre) and pop it on this thread. There are loads of variants of touring car body wheelbases, especially based around the TA01/2 chassis. If you post that up that someone will be able to figure out what to do. 

Good advice ...

Ok so size is 255 when rear arms are switched from where they should be (allowing the body shell to fit)

Which means in their original position the size is 280 which means no body shell would fit (could be wrong)

My main issue is those **** botched spacers..  When I switch the arms to original position there is no need for them as the link arms reach the damper stay... but then have the long wheel base.

I think you need the rear arms from a TA01

1 hour ago, jhoneyman said:

Good advice ...

Ok so size is 255 when rear arms are switched from where they should be (allowing the body shell to fit)

Which means in their original position the size is 280 which means no body shell would fit (could be wrong)

My main issue is those **** botched spacers..  When I switch the arms to original position there is no need for them as the link arms reach the damper stay... but then have the long wheel base.

280 with them in the correct sounds to me like you have the wrong length chassis plates on it. It you want it properly shorting then you need to get yourself a TA02 tub chassis (or carbon upgrade if you like the carbon) and then flip the arms back to their correct position sweep backwards. That will give you a 257mm wheelbase which will fit your shell.

The car/parts originated from a mantaray.. so that is probably why i went for the carbon chassis (DF01 / 02 ?)
I remember wanting a touring car so bought parts and ended up with the above Frankenstein creation :)

So to get my head around this and what I need:-

I have Ta02 rear arms - Good to know 
Front and rear gear boxes are the same for Ta01/02 - Good to know
I don't require Ta01 arms afterall.... ?
I just need a Ta02 chassis and I am golden?  Is this the correct part number for the bathtub type? = 50637

I can see the following too , are these compatible? 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-84431-Porsche-934-Jagermeister-TA02SW-53166-4025040-14025040-Lower-Deck/292369573650?epid=2085689105&hash=item441295a712:g:V7UAAOSwA3dYPD1p

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-58128-Alfa-Romeo-155-TA02-FF01-9335609-19335609-50637-0445264-Chassis/292150866395?hash=item44058c71db:g:eKAAAOSw~gRVzfno

Try the TA01 arms. They aren't expensive, and if the chassis is of Manta Ray origin this is the same length as a ta01 which was 257mm wheelbase. 

Will take a look at them then.
I am assuming the rear (and front) drive shafts remain the same lengths.. 39mm i believe.

at the moment the rears are 39mm and the fronts are longer. 

luckily I have spares so will see how these new arms pan out for fitment with the shafts.

Ok thanks..
I actually found the "D" parts I purchased all those years ago.
Clearly i can see I used the rear arms and left the fronts...
Who can determine what they are from?

test.jpg

They should have a part number on them starting with a 5 then Google that, but they look like TA02 to me.

30 minutes ago, jhoneyman said:

Tracked them down to FF01 parts = 50640 
What was i trying to do exactly?????

Ah! I see🤔 I didn't think the rear arm you have fitted were TA02 as the dampers on a TA02 don't mount on the out side of the arm but in a recess.

I can't take a picture of mine as I fitted ta01 rear arms to shorten it!!!

15 hours ago, jhoneyman said:

Tracked them down to FF01 parts = 50640 
What was i trying to do exactly?????

These are for the FF chassis which included Touring car models like the Mondeo - so you might have been swayed by that at the time as you were trying to achieve a Touring car chassis ;)

Fitted the new rear arms and all aligns now..  Will fit the fronts soon but would rather like the car running.. (The front Ta01 arms look shorter - Doesn't affect the wheelbase though, again will fit at a later date)

However the body mount posts don't align with the body shell (more so at the rear)...  I have had to fit the posts to the damper stay the other way around to try and align with the holes in the shell.. Any advice with this?  I bought items = 50482 (Body mounts) but these seem to worsen the alignment so resorted to ones kicking about my tool box.

Also my steering setup seems to hit the gearbox when the servo runs at only 33% either way..  
The top FRP part (When fitted) also hits the servo horn so more issues here..

20180113_133521.jpg

20180113_135315 (1).jpg

20180113_141932.jpg

Not sure on most of those things, but my brief experience with a TA01 tells me that you Don't want to put those shorter new arms on the car. TA01 steering uprights are red. The ones you have are blue which are TA02. These used longer front arms and 42mm driveshafts (compared to short arms and 39mm on the TA01) for better kinematics. You have the longer arm, better setup already.