Sign in to follow this  
ThunderDragonCy

If I want to fit Wild One rear wheels to a Thunder Shot rear suspension, how would I do it?

Bit of a pie in the sky idea, but if I wanted to fit Wild One rear wheels to a Thundershot, would they go straight on the 3 prong Thundershot adapter, or do I need something like a NovaFox adapter?

No, you'd need the 4-hole, short-axle hub from a Fox/Novafox, Falcon, Striker, or Sonic Fighter. If there is enough suspension clearance, you could do the same at the front, and run 4 rear WO/Fox wheels.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Bit of a pie in the sky idea, but if I wanted to fit Wild One rear wheels to a Thundershot, would they go straight on the 3 prong Thundershot adapter, or do I need something like a NovaFox adapter?

Why do you want WildOne wheel? when Hotshot wheel fits straight on

Just WildOne has a deeper dish more offset... never measured the difference.

9 hours ago, WillyChang said:

Why do you want WildOne wheel? when Hotshot wheel fits straight on

Just WildOne has a deeper dish more offset... never measured the difference.

All will be revealed in a build thread if the parts I need turn up 😉

Interestingly, on the topic of fitting wild one rims on another buggy, when I was younger in the late 1980s, I hated the narrow width tyres in front of my Boomerang and had always dreamt of fixing the rear wild one wheels onto the front of the Boomerang so that the rear and front looks the same size. I guess I was influenced by the Kyosho Optimas which I thought looked well balanced with  4 same sized tyres .

I would look at the top view drawing of the wild one and hot shot from the radio control car guidebook, measured and traced and always believed that the wild one rims would fit and clear the front Boomerang suspension.

I have both the re-re buggies now but I have not built them yet. Hope in time to come, I will get to test my 35 yr old theory 🤔

4 hours ago, kyosho1 said:

Interestingly, on the topic of fitting wild one rims on another buggy, when I was younger in the late 1980s, I hated the narrow width tyres in front of my Boomerang and had always dreamt of fixing the rear wild one wheels onto the front of the Boomerang so that the rear and front looks the same size. I guess I was influenced by the Kyosho Optimas which I thought looked well balanced with  4 same sized tyres .

I would look at the top view drawing of the wild one and hot shot from the radio control car guidebook, measured and traced and always believed that the wild one rims would fit and clear the front Boomerang suspension.

I have both the re-re buggies now but I have not built them yet. Hope in time to come, I will get to test my 35 yr old theory 🤔

Yeah you're probably right, WildOne wheel with Fox hub should fit on Boomerang front :) haha got all those 3 here, one day if ever they're all out on the bench together I'll have a try

bitd I just bolted Hotshot rears to the front wrong side out ^_^ makes super wide front... causes more oversteering though, not as balanced as before... but when one is desperate to get front end grip on an understeering Boomerang, it can be done!

Optimas had wide fronts but by tine LaserZX appeared Kyosho also went to narrower fronts.

On 12/01/2018 at 11:42 PM, WillyChang said:

Yeah you're probably right, WildOne wheel with Fox hub should fit on Boomerang front :) haha got all those 3 here, one day if ever they're all out on the bench together I'll have a try

bitd I just bolted Hotshot rears to the front wrong side out ^_^ makes super wide front... causes more oversteering though, not as balanced as before... but when one is desperate to get front end grip on an understeering Boomerang, it can be done!

Optimas had wide fronts but by tine LaserZX appeared Kyosho also went to narrower fronts.

Hi Willy, thanks. I hope to hear from you soon 😋.

haha... its only been 30yrs, haven't seen anyone do it yet

So whilst was digging for project parts, pulled out a few oldies onto bench.

Borrowed Fox's rears onto Boomerang:-

Fox hub fits fine in place of triangle hub.

AvHIEOr.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/01/2018 at 11:42 PM, WillyChang said:

Hi Willy, thanks. I hope to hear from you soon 😋.

13 hours ago, WillyChang said:

haha... its only been 30yrs, haven't seen anyone do it yet

So whilst was digging for project parts, pulled out a few oldies onto bench.

Borrowed Fox's rears onto Boomerang:-

Fox hub fits fine in place of triangle hub.

AvHIEOr.jpg

Wow !! It looks like I envisioned it 😄😄. Do they clear the front suspension arms (no rubbing) especially on turning?

2 hours ago, kyosho1 said:

Wow !! It looks like I envisioned it 😄😄. Do they clear the front suspension arms (no rubbing) especially on turning?

Yeah pushed it around making vroom vroom noises a bit, nothing catching. 

Inner sidewall gets pretty close to the arm triangle but it ain't rubbing; its inside of corner anyway so the tyre should be rolling the other way when in motion.

(Boomerang in pic is a nonrunner after it last got cleaned up & restored. Feels like it hasn't got a servo even & it got rebuilt with plastic bushings at least in the axles -_- dunno it's been 10+ yrs ago)

• Thanks 1

Willy, you have made my day! 🤪

Thank You so much 🤩

I tried explaining to my 8 yr old why I am so happy but he couldn’t appreciate it.

I doubt my wife will understand my thrill 😄

I will get 4 sets of fox/wild one rims and adapters and fit them on 4 corners of the Boomerang/hotshot.

I bet she will look great with a”la semi shallow dish fox gold rims!

• Like 1