WillB888

What motor should I use to upgrade my Grasshopper?

I am new to R/C cars and I would like to upgrade the motor on my Grasshopper but I am not sure which to go for. I would like to get a brushless motor but I am not sure where to start. Any suggestions? Also, ignore the lights, I have not drilled holes for them yet!

image3.JPG

image2.JPG

image1.JPG

If your new to RC then dont go mad, better to get your control good on a "normal" motor possibly a stock 540 Silvercan.

They are cheep as chips new and then you can think about upgrading later. 

If you go to fast early on it gets expensive when you hit stuff and you may loose interest, better to get used to it at a good pace then up the speed as your control improves.

• Thanks 1

Even if you are an old hand at RC, the chassis isn't really suited to big power. The gearbox is tough enough but the suspension is rudimentary, thus so is the handling. A Sport Tuned is about optimal from what I have read. So if you want to go brushless, you'll want around the 21.5t mark.

• Thanks 1

someone said to me long ago, "if you put a hot motor in  grasshopper, you just end up scratching the roof paint off!"

So a Silvercan or a Torque/Sport Tuned is about as far as you should go...

• Thanks 1

If you are still running the stock 380 which it appears that you are.  Any 540 sized motor will be a huge jump in power.  Really a stock 540 puts you at the limit of what the stock "suspension" can handle. 

That being said I have one running a 15T HPI motor that came out of a Blitz.  It's really too fast but fun and I agree with the previous poster.  All you are really doing is scratching the paint off the rood and breaking the rear edges off the body.  Definitely go with a Lexan body. 

• Thanks 1

I have seen some on youtube using crazy fast brushless setups and even going 3s lipo. 

for fun I am putting a 13.5 2543kv brushless and oil shocks from a dt03. 12mm hex adapter and some holiday buggy front and rear wheels/tires. steel 18t 32p pinion.

Oh yeah don’t forget to buy bearings if you want to go brushless!