Sign in to follow this  
smirk-racing

help with clodbuster aluminum gears (need pinion that won't kill gears)

Hi all,

I have a dual brushless clod and even with the torque turned down to 30%, the gears are under a lot of stress. I tend to break teeth on the smaller part of the counter gears (15 tooth sections) so I upgraded to aluminum gears.

Now the problem is that a hard steel pinion meshes with a "soft" aluminum counter gear, so on the first run, the pinion sharpened all the teeth on the counter gear. This is obviously not going to work.

Are there any options for a 13t 32p pinion that can mesh with aluminum gears? I have not found any online... Is anyone using the aluminum gears with their clod? If so are you having issues like this?

Thanks!

50mph Clod  now,, is it?. lol To chase the lunchbox. lol

Sorry, cant answer your question, but I do own a clod now so I would like to know your solution

The 15 tootjh diff gears are normally the weakest part, you either shed teeth from those or shatter the main diff spool.

Easiest option is probably to revert to the stock Tamiya aluminium pinion gear, at least you have similar materials meshing together.

Are the teeth profiles of the replacement gears the same as the pinions though ?   People who switched to Traxxas steel pinions with the stock plastic gears sometimes reported noisy gear train, which you don't get with Tamiya aluminium kit pinions or Robinson Racing steel pinions

Are the gears definitely 32dp? Integy made a Clod gearset that was Mod1 http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=9447#.Wlx1gHlpzaY
If a steel pinion's chewing alu gears, then I guess an alu pinion is your only option unless you can get a steel counter gear?

I never busted a gear in a Clod but plenty of driveshafts and cups so something's always going to break if you put enough/too much power through it - might be better off sacrificing a part that's easy to replace, like an alu pinion

20 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

50mph Clod  now,, is it?. lol To chase the lunchbox. lol

Sorry, cant answer your question, but I do own a clod now so I would like to know your solution

Funny you should say that:

A little over 40MPH... not quite enough to catch the lunchbox. These massive tires balloon terribly. That seems to be the limiting factor for me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Percymon said:

The 15 tootjh diff gears are normally the weakest part, you either shed teeth from those or shatter the main diff spool.

Easiest option is probably to revert to the stock Tamiya aluminium pinion gear, at least you have similar materials meshing together.

Are the teeth profiles of the replacement gears the same as the pinions though ?   People who switched to Traxxas steel pinions with the stock plastic gears sometimes reported noisy gear train, which you don't get with Tamiya aluminium kit pinions or Robinson Racing steel pinions

Percy - thank you so much! I have been scouring the web for "32p 13t aluminum pinion" and finding nothing... turns out just searching for the stock tamiya pinion does the trick. The new gears I have appear to be 32p but I'll have to double-check.

20 hours ago, TWINSET said:

Are the gears definitely 32dp? Integy made a Clod gearset that was Mod1 http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=9447#.Wlx1gHlpzaY
If a steel pinion's chewing alu gears, then I guess an alu pinion is your only option unless you can get a steel counter gear?

I never busted a gear in a Clod but plenty of driveshafts and cups so something's always going to break if you put enough/too much power through it - might be better off sacrificing a part that's easy to replace, like an alu pinion

Twinset, thanks. Now I have to check very carefully, as I had not realized this was a possibility before.

If the aluminium option doesn't work, a UK company called HPC (www.hpcgears.com) make off the shelf gears in all sorts of sizes. They are not cheap, but could well be able to make you steel spur gears (They can even harden them for you if you have very deep pockets). I have used their gears in the gearboxes of my War Rig and my home made Skidder, and in my experience the gears are high quality items.

5 hours ago, smirk-racing said:

Percy - thank you so much! I have been scouring the web for "32p 13t aluminum pinion" and finding nothing... turns out just searching for the stock tamiya pinion does the trick. The new gears I have appear to be 32p but I'll have to double-check.

Twinset, thanks. Now I have to check very carefully, as I had not realized this was a possibility before.

Mod1 gears will be pretty obvious in terms of tooth sizes - I doubt you'd get them to mesh well enough to even drive the clod forward with a  mix of 32dp and 1M

5 hours ago, Percymon said:

Mod1 gears will be pretty obvious in terms of tooth sizes - I doubt you'd get them to mesh well enough to even drive the clod forward with a  mix of 32dp and 1M

In that case the pinion and the first gear counter gear to which it meshes are definitely both 32p. It ran fine for about a pack, after which the steel pinion started to 'sharpen' the aluminum counter gear. Now there is a lot of gear mesh noise, although the truck still drives more or less correctly. I think it is pointless to drive it like this, though. It is just grinding a gear to dust inside the gearbox.

On 1/16/2018 at 4:07 AM, MadInventor said:

If the aluminium option doesn't work, a UK company called HPC (www.hpcgears.com) make off the shelf gears in all sorts of sizes. They are not cheap, but could well be able to make you steel spur gears (They can even harden them for you if you have very deep pockets). I have used their gears in the gearboxes of my War Rig and my home made Skidder, and in my experience the gears are high quality items.

@MadInventor , thanks!! I am very interested in getting some steel (or other strong metal) gears cut. Do you know of anyone who has dimensioned drawings of clod gears, or CAD files? I've researched a few other custom shops thanks to your tip (I live in the US) and all require cad files in order to proceed.

6 hours ago, smirk-racing said:

@MadInventor , thanks!! I am very interested in getting some steel (or other strong metal) gears cut. Do you know of anyone who has dimensioned drawings of clod gears, or CAD files? I've researched a few other custom shops thanks to your tip (I live in the US) and all require cad files in order to proceed.

Sorry, don't know of any dimensioned drawings. However, all you really need to specify a gear is the number of teeth, the pitch or module of the teeth, how wide you want the teeth, and the size of the centre hole. If you know the pitch of the gears, the number of teeth forces the diameter of the gear. I believe that as Tamiya make pretty much all of their stuff to metric measurements, all of the gears should be made to a specific standard module. (E.g. 0.6 module for Avante size pinion gears, 0.8 is the 32DP equivalent, so the meaty clod gears are probably somewhere between MOD 1.0 and MOD 2.0, it is possible to work it out by measuring the outer diameter of the gears and counting the teeth.

Alternatively, you could always ask them if they will accept a sample. Then you could just send them the plastic gears out the clod box and say (These, but in steel please. :) )