TwistedxSlayer

At which point does...

The original car / model stop being the original?

Ive owned my Tamiya TB01 since 2001. But replaced the main chassis (twice), wheels, hexes, dog bones, suspension mounts, shocks, shock towers, differentials, motors, prop shafts, upper decks, steering linkages, servos and Rx. The only thing that has never been changed are the front and rear diff casings.

But when asked... ive owned my TB01 since 2001 despite it being rebuilt several times. I still say its my original one.

So when does it stop being the original one ? And is anyone else in the same boat?

• Like 1

I think that if the replacement parts (other than standard upgrades, eg bearings instead of bushes, cva instead of friction dampers) are TB01 then its the original car. If its all aftermarket then it would no longer be a TB01 though, it would be a custom car.

I've modified a lot of Clods and TLTs, retaining only the axles in most cases, and they were still referred to (by others as well as me) as TLTs and Clods.
I guess if you have to buy TB-01 compatible parts to repair it any of it, then you still have a TB-01

Have a read of this; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

or search for 'trigger's broom' on Youtube

• Like 4

Crikey this is all a bit philosophical for a Monday morning. Am I on the wrong forum...?? :blink:

I was actually about to liken this to the urban myth that all of the cells in your body are renewed and replaced every 10 years. So really the you from 10 years ago could be argued to be a different you. However, apparently this is just an urban myth and latest research implies the different cells in your body renew at vastly differing rates, and some not at all. http://askanaturalist.com/do-we-replace-our-cells-every-7-or-10-years/

• Like 3

Still a TB01. 

I have a boat trailer built by my father. Over the last 40 years it has carried a number of different boats and had the wheels, axles, frames and hubs all replaced many times. Still has the original license plate and is listed as homemade built in 1978, so must be the same trailer. Government says so. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

What bothers me is not so much is it the original car, but are the old parts also the same car?

Let's say for example you buy an NIB TB01 58257 Lancer and you build it in stock form, with the plastic chassis and the stock body.  You list it in your showroom as 58257.  Later on you buy a Subaru body and update the photos.  You add hop-up shocks, hop-up gears, Evo arms and hubs and CVDs.  At this point you've got almost enough running gear to build a second car.

So you buy an NIP chassis tub and a few other plastic bits and assemble another car.  You put your old Lancer shell on it.  What do you list it under your showroom as, and more importantly, which one is the 58257 Lancer?

Let's go a stage further.  Let's say you don't buy a new chassis tub for your old parts.  Let's say you buy carbon chassis for your original car.  You update your showroom with new photos of the carbon decks under your Subaru body.

Then you realise you need a tiny handful of plastic bits to make a whole new car.  You acquire the bits, build the car.

Which one is the original 58257 Lancer?  How do you enter your first and second cars in your showroom?

It is things like this that keep me awake at night.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

If you put it in the box with a decaying radioactive substance, is it alive or dead?

If the the box falls over in the loft, will it make a sound even when you don’t hear it?

😩

Should we be asking Tamiya to put VIN numbers on chassis?

I have a NIB M04 Alfa and all (I think, need an inventory doing) the NIP parts for a replica. If I put them all in the same box I’ll have no clue which is the original.

This won’t keep me awake tonight but my back is very sore so I might mull it over for a bit...

• Like 2

My Lancia 037 has a body from another TC member, a Frog chassis and a new gearbox from a re-re Brat and I have a spare old style body with no decals and a re-re body too that I have modified to fit.

My Monster Beetle is originally a re-re Blackfoot, but it now has a new grey Frog chassis. It has a re-re Monster Beetle body but I also have a re-re Scorcher body I am working on that will be made to fit.

My Scorcher is a  actually a Fighting Buggy front with the rear end of a re-re Scorcher that had the RCChannel upgrade rear suspension. The wheels are aftermarket alloys with replica Sand Blaster front tires from Japan and RC4WD shocks all round.

I do have the Blackfoot body for the Monster Beetle, the Fighting Buggy body for the Scorcher and am about to get a Brat body for both the Lancia and the Monster Beetle chassis.

My next plan is to buy a Rock Socker CR01 and put the Blackfoot body on it. That will fry your brain!

• Like 1

At what point, do WE become "vintage" like Sand Scorcher or  Willy's M38 we own?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Juggular said:

At what point, do WE become "vintage" like Sand Scorcher or  Willy's M38 we own?

I feel vintage after a short run these days...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

You must be in good shape if you can run.  I have to do 20 squats a day before snow, so I won't keel over when I'm shoveling snow.  I'd say I'd become a true vintage, if I cannot do RC.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

You mean 5km!

There was a new youngish lad in my gym this morning, he jumped on the treadmill in front of me and started off at 13.5KPH while I cruise at 11.5KPH.

I thought he’ll run out of puff at 1KM but no he did a full 5KM with the last 1KM at an increased 14.5KPH.

He easily did the 5KM in about 23 minutes something which is faster than my lung busting once in a lifetime PB of 24 minutes something... and he stepped off with only a mild sweat! 

Now I feel Vintage :(

I do console myself with the knowledge he had twiglets for arms and legs though ;)

if you’ve still got the original box it’s the original car no matter how many triggers brooms it’s been through ;)

• Haha 4

This all makes me think of the 1:1 MX5 Miata that I sold last year after eight years od stewardship. The body tub, front fenders, doors, and engine block/crank/pistons are the only things I didn't disassemble, overhaul, or replace over the years, and it was far from "original" when I got it. But I still sold it as "basically stock," because all the replacement parts were direct replacements. But I sure would not have dreamed of calling it "original." It was 80% not the same car that rolled out of the factory in 1991.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

What bothers me is not so much is it the original car, but are the old parts also the same car?

Let's say for example you buy an NIB TB01 58257 Lancer and you build it in stock form, with the plastic chassis and the stock body.  You list it in your showroom as 58257.  Later on you buy a Subaru body and update the photos.  You add hop-up shocks, hop-up gears, Evo arms and hubs and CVDs.  At this point you've got almost enough running gear to build a second car.

So you buy an NIP chassis tub and a few other plastic bits and assemble another car.  You put your old Lancer shell on it.  What do you list it under your showroom as, and more importantly, which one is the 58257 Lancer?

Let's go a stage further.  Let's say you don't buy a new chassis tub for your old parts.  Let's say you buy carbon chassis for your original car.  You update your showroom with new photos of the carbon decks under your Subaru body.

Then you realise you need a tiny handful of plastic bits to make a whole new car.  You acquire the bits, build the car.

Which one is the original 58257 Lancer?  How do you enter your first and second cars in your showroom?

It is things like this that keep me awake at night.

I’m glad I’m not alone with this!

I don't really have an opinion on this, however this is the first things that sprung to mind for me when I read it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Juggular said:

You must be in good shape if you can run.  I have to do 20 squats a day before snow, so I won't keel over when I'm shoveling snow.  I'd say I'd become a true vintage, if I cannot do RC.  

Not the shape I wish I was in, new years resolution to fix that, injury permitting.

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

You mean 5km!

There was a new youngish lad in my gym this morning, he jumped on the treadmill in front of me and started off at 13.5KPH while I cruise at 11.5KPH.

I thought he’ll run out of puff at 1KM but no he did a full 5KM with the last 1KM at an increased 14.5KPH.

He easily did the 5KM in about 23 minutes something which is faster than my lung busting once in a lifetime PB of 24 minutes something... and he stepped off with only a mild sweat! 

Now I feel Vintage :(

I do console myself with the knowledge he had twiglets for arms and legs though ;)

if you’ve still got the original box it’s the original car no matter how many triggers brooms it’s been through ;)

Haha, now you just have to keep training and then show him up! 

I do mean 5km, but never enter 5km races as theres always a 18 yo who can do it in 15mins.  I'm looking at the Auckland marathon at the end of the year, nothing like a big goal to actually make me train.

Wait this is about cars, oops I'm so easily distracted, is that a sign of being old or immaturity?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Not the shape I wish I was in, new years resolution to fix that, injury permitting.

Haha, now you just have to keep training and then show him up! 

I do mean 5km, but never enter 5km races as theres always a 18 yo who can do it in 15mins.  I'm looking at the Auckland marathon at the end of the year, nothing like a big goal to actually make me train.

Wait this is about cars, oops I'm so easily distracted, is that a sign of being old or immaturity?

Marathon is way outta my league... I can’t do anything for 4 hours! Good luck to you though pal, try doing it whilst running an RC in front of you... with spare batteries in you your backpack.

29 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Marathon is way outta my league... I can’t do anything for 4 hours! Good luck to you though pal, try doing it whilst running an RC in front of you... with spare batteries in you your backpack.

You'd be surprised  I've done 2 and the payoff is on long run day the only way to get the calories in is beer. Lots of beer. Seriously, you NEED 6 - 8 beers on a sunday otherwise you're hungry til wednesday if you try to do it with food. Worth it for that alone. Oh and being fit and able to walk up hills and stuff.

• Haha 1

The way I look at it. 

So you had the original car, then over a period of years you slowly but surely replaced and upgraded all but a few parts and each part got used in a separate combination of upgrades. Then it’s still the original car.  Each part more or less has its own history within the car with an amalgamation if the other parts. Thus each new part placed next to an older upgrade part, has learnt the past from the other parts. Therefore it has the knowledge of the family of parts and is classified as part of the family. 

if it was original, then one day you decided to rebuild it and then all at once replaced all but a couple of parts (maybe because you couldn’t find new ones) then no that’s not really the same car, it’s a pile of new parts with a couple of bits of your old car on it. 

I’ve been down that road with the FF01. Started out as a sympathetic restore. Turned into a new car and the old car sitting there still not restored… lol :rolleyes:

at the end of the day it’s your car, and it’s your journey with it that matters the most. That’s what decides if it’s your original car. The sum of parts are the journey. 

• Like 2

Vintage cars for me (like my M38) are either using original parts to consider “original” and others using restored parts and repairs considered “restored.” 

But either way it’s just more a collector thing and probably shouldn’t be seriously considered for runners.   Runners will require parts as the wear.. it’s an original if you think it’s justified. 

• Like 1

I once built a SW-01, every single part are hopups except the screw bags. I am left with enough "spares" to build a second one. Which one is the original?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

I once built a SW-01, every single part are hopups except the screw bags. I am left with enough "spares" to build a second one. Which one is the original?

The hopped up one :-)

1 hour ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

The hopped up one :-)

And only the screws are original. 😁

• Like 1