Sign in to follow this  
Rccar2018

DF-03 and installing Brushless Motor

Very new to RC and have just almost completed my first build of a Black Dark Impact DF-03. I was very lucky and got to visit Tokyo and specifically a fantastic store called RC Champ/RC Adviser and pick up a complete RC setup.

I have some questions about installing a Brushless Motor to replace the 540 stock motor. My problem is that I am trying to install a Yokomo BL-SP4 Brushless Motor but it is not the same length as the stock 540. By disassembling the rear of the chassis I was able to get the Yokomo fitted but the solder mount for the three wires is an extremely tight fit and I had to bend the wires back to get them leading the correct direction and out of the motor mount to reach my ESC. 

Secondly, I just am too stupid to understand how to Setup the ESC correctly. I hold down the SET button but don't understand how long I am supposed to wait for the LED Lights to change when setting Neutral, Forward, and Brake. The Yokomo manual is very poorly written.

Reading the setup part of the BL-SP4 manual can anyone help me out? Setting up an ESC should be very simple but not for a beginner with no experience,

BL-SP4 manual

Welcome.  

Dark Impact is a nice choice.  

I don't have a Yokomo brushless, but the instruction seems to show the similar procedure for most other ESCs.  You press the set button for 3 seconds--it's set for neutral.  You pull the throttle (going forward) all the way--it's set for forward.  Then you push the throttle (going backward) all the way--it's set for reverse.  That's it.  Do all this with wheels off the ground, so it won't go anywhere.  

I think most manuals are not well written.  Tamiya is good in that regard.  

Good luck with your Dark Impact.  If you have any question, just ask. There are a lot of guys who know much more than me in Tamiya Club.