steelo

Looking for monster truck with personality

8 hours ago, 67CamaroSS said:

Take a look at the Axial SMT10.  The stock tires are too small but you can put clod sized wheels and tires on it.  I have a stock Clod, and  a Clodzilla II and IV and it outperforms them all, while keeping a very scale look.  It is very quick and handles well.

smt10.jpeg

I saw a YT vid of a German kid who put a 1/14 Mack Bruder body on one of these chassis's, it looked really cool and blasted everything else around it. Cant seem to find it now though  😕

Interesting to see this thread as I logon after a busy time, I’ve been thinking about an all out Bashing Monster that is ridiculously powered and bullet proof. The Arrma Outcast has caught my eye as something I could see myself going nuts with

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

The SMT10 does look cool, is it only available with the green frame and Grave digger body? I favour a black frame and traditional truck body.

The SMT10 is available as a raw builder's kit, which comes with black frame and 2.2 wheels but no tyres or body.  The wheels are odd (very wide) and apparently not many tyres fit them.

By the time you budget for a decent body, clod-size wheels and tyres and electrics, it suddenly starts to look expensive.

Also the stock wheelbase is very long (13.9") - not many bodies available in that length.  Of course you can make your own links and fit a conventional shock-to-axle arrangement, or RH Designs on Facebook do a SWB kit (12.5" or 12.9") and sway bars.

I have an NIB SMT10 which was planned to be my slow build project for 2020, but right now it's really hard to find big wheels and tyres anywhere in the UK.  I can only assume JConcepts and Proline are either not producing large quantities or not shipping to the UK.

The SMT10 Builders Kit, essentially a slider chassis comes in black.

http://www.axialracing.com/products/axi03020

I mis-spoke about the wheels.  The SMT10 uses 12mm hex.  Maybe you could put the stock clod hubs (B5) over the hexes if you wanted to mount clod wheels, but I'm not sure. I can check if you need me to.  Those B5 parts get expensive because you have to buy the whole tree, which includes the gearbox halves, and you need 2.

I bought the Jconcepts Tribute wheels which are are very nice, in that that they come with 3 different offsets options.

I'm not sure what the prices in the UK would be, but here its about 100-110 USD for the jconcepts wheels and tires.  But you still get a nice roller for about 300USD when all is done  

18 minutes ago, 67CamaroSS said:

The SMT10 Builders Kit, essentially a slider chassis comes in black.

http://www.axialracing.com/products/axi03020

I mis-spoke about the wheels.  The SMT10 uses 12mm hex.  Maybe you could put the stock clod hubs (B5) over the hexes if you wanted to mount clod wheels, but I'm not sure. I can check if you need me to.  Those B5 parts get expensive because you have to buy the whole tree, which includes the gearbox halves, and you need 2.

I bought the Jconcepts Tribute wheels which are are very nice, in that that they come with 3 different offsets options.

I'm not sure what the prices in the UK would be, but here its about 100-110 USD for the jconcepts wheels and tires.  But you still get a nice roller for about 300USD when all is done  

Hmm this topic appeals to me too. That Axial SMT10 is £260 in the uk. Apologies if I’ve missed it but what sort of speed is it? Is it similar to cold buster etc or is it geared low to be a crawler? I would want something that has a reasonable turn of speed.

Also, are they well made / high quality? I know nothing about them. Ta

It is not geared as a crawler  I never ran it with the stock brushed kit motor, but with a plain 3300kv Reedy (the ones that came with the SC10s) and a small 3s pack, it was very fast. Maybe 30-35mph? Also still had lots of torgue, as it wheelied a lot.

Thanks. Anyone have any experience of Associated Rival MT10 RTR? Seems very good value at £250 inc radio gear, electrics etc

spacer.png

I think many of those "non-scale" trucks perform better but you sacrifice the scale look of the Clod and others like it.  I thought the SMT10 is a good combination of both.

But Ii your main goal is speed and cornering (which there is nothing wrong with) then you are probably better off with something like that Associated or something from Traxxas or Arrma.  To get a Clod to perform on that level will cost you a lot more than just buying a RTR basher.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your help @67CamaroSS, I ended up getting a sort-of Short Course Truck instead - a Kyosho Rampage Outlaw Pro - not a monster truck at all! I think strength and ground clearance were my main priorities for a winter basher (my WT-01 and WR-01's seem to get broken on every outing :rolleyes:) plus there was a thread running on these forums and my local hobby shop gave me a healthy discount, it was a no-brainer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Thanks for all your help @67CamaroSS, I ended up getting a sort-of Short Course Truck instead - a Kyosho Rampage Outlaw Pro - not a monster truck at all! I think strength and ground clearance were my main priorities for a winter basher (my WT-01 and WR-01's seem to get broken on every outing :rolleyes:) plus there was a thread running on these forums and my local hobby shop gave me a healthy discount, it was a no-brainer.

Is that an rtr or will we get a build. I quite like this as it’s a change from a crawler/ monster truck.I Sometimes i think especially with Tamiya kits we define things as crawlers that really aren’t. Then we spend £€$¥ etc trying to make them something there not, CC01 to name but one ( guilty as charged)

this is an out and out trail/dessert truck which it seems to do well. Watching with interest 

The Axial SMT10 is a very versatile platform IMHO. The huge amount of aftermarket parts available means that you can really customize the look and feel of this great truck.

DSC_0075.jpg

• Like 1

For those looking at axial in the UK my experience is part availability is pretty terrible. Support in America seems much better. That was certainly true for my yeti. Maybe other models are better though...