ThunderDragonCy

Grasshopper 2 Ultra G - Independent Suspension All Round

Oops! 

20230508_161205

Broke this trying to do the jump on the club track. I am so bad at jumping buggies! Replaced it with a ratty spare I had, but if any of you reading this has the narrow Thundershot / Dragon tower spare from a Terra Scorcher, Fire Dragon or Saint Dragon Rere, I would happily buy a nice new one. 

Also found the rear very bouncy and bottoming out a lot on the club track, compared to Robin Hood Raceway where I normally run. Decided to do an oil change on the rear dampers whilst it was apart, and boy was that overdue! Horrible dirty oil, dampers not completely full. Cleaned and refilled with nice new core rc 400cst.

Also found a lot of the looseness in the front end was worn bores on the DT02/3 knuckles. Got some aluminium Jazzrider ones to improve things. They needed a little filing on the c hubs, but fit perfectly otherwise.

20230508_163003

Also, the inner ball position is same as stock, but there is an outer position which would sweep the steering arms back. Any idea what this would do to the steering or handling? 

20230508_163012

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Any idea what this would do to the steering or handling? 

It would make the distance the servo has to move to get the wheels at the same steering angle larger. So it will make the steering slower but more precise. If, at the standard position, the steering isn't maxed out; it would make the steering angle bigger also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Track day! 

20230715_111621

Had some fun running Ultra G on the big outdoor astro track. Nice layout, technical, but no big jumps. Nice! Ultra G was running nicely, but was grip rolling a bit and snatching the outer front tyres on some corners. Tweaked the steering on the Tx a little am improved it, but it never got quite as settled as Ultra Hornet. You can definitely feel those flexy Thundershot arms now I have a direct comparison. 

Still love this thing, but got a little voice saying I should put some stiffer arms on to keep up with Ultra Hornet. Not sure. 

• Like 4

Awesome mate, great to see this one still out and attacking the track! So you reckon stiffer arms will solve the handling issues?:)

• Like 1

Track day! Indoor astro today as it was too wet outside. 

20231118_154811

Ultra G was first thing I ran this morning, and it felt a bit out of sorts. Drove a bunch of my other stuff all day and came back to it right at the end and it ran amazing! Loved it. Lapped and lapped. Maybe I got my eye in? Lovely to give it a run. 

• Like 5

Awesome mate, I do love that thing! Great to hear it's still tearing up the track!!!🏎️🏎️🏎️

• Like 1

I purchased a parts chassis and another Hornet to do this exact same thing 3 years ago. I just randomly searched custom Hornet suspension yesterday and came across this thread!

I'm glad you did it and have made the parts available now as it saves me the trouble of designing them myself 👍although Shapeways prices are starting to get beyond ridiculous with their mark up these days. 

Oh and when I say another Hornet it's because I own two Vintage ( one I've had since 1984 ), one rere, a Super Hornet, a Supreme, no.3 Jun Watanabe, a Black Metallic and a Comical 🤷‍♂️ 🤣

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gazyang said:

I purchased a parts chassis and another Hornet to do this exact same thing 3 years ago. I just randomly searched custom Hornet suspension yesterday and came across this thread!

I'm glad you did it and have made the parts available now as it saves me the trouble of designing them myself 👍although Shapeways prices are starting to get beyond ridiculous with their mark up these days. 

Oh and when I say another Hornet it's because I own two Vintage ( one I've had since 1984 ), one rere, a Super Hornet, a Supreme, no.3 Jun Watanabe, a Black Metallic and a Comical 🤷‍♂️ 🤣

Wonderful! Looking forward to seeing your build. Drop me a DM if you want some stl files. Shapeways is getting ridiculous, i agree.