ThunderDragonCy

Grasshopper 2 Ultra G - Independent Suspension All Round

I realise this might be a little late now, but I was reading the TC Top Speed runs thread earlier and saw @stew_mac's ultra-low speed run Hornet. He had some pretty unusual lengthened lower gearbox mounts on there to help it sit lower and knowing the issues you have had with those on this build I thought you might be interested.

58 minutes ago, Yalson said:

I realise this might be a little late now, but I was reading the TC Top Speed runs thread earlier and saw @stew_mac's ultra-low speed run Hornet. He had some pretty unusual lengthened lower gearbox mounts on there to help it sit lower and knowing the issues you have had with those on this build I thought you might be interested.

Cheers. I'll have a look for that but the Rising Fighter parts I ended up using gave me the clearance I needed. 

Ah, well if you've found a solution then no worries. I would recommend having a look, though, as he has turned this Hornet into what I can only describe as a missile.

Wow! I haven't updated this thread for over a year. I've continued to run Ultra G at the Tamiya Junkies track days, and it's continued to be brilliant. I cracked the rear Super G neon wheels last year on track, but a local pro had given away a load of pin drive rear wheels with ballistic buggy spikes glued to them. One of the sets was neon yellow, so I converted Ultra G to pin drive. It was pretty easy. You need part number 9808153 for the axles, then grab 4 of those 850 bronze bushings you have lying around from kits you have put proper bearings in. Pop the outer 1150 bearings out of the rear uprights, put an 850 bushing in there, pop the bearing back in. This spaces the inner bearing races and allows you to clamp down on them without them binding. Push the axle through, add the second 850 bushing on the outside of the bearing, pop a drive pin through, install the wheel. Should clamp up nice and tight and spin freely with no play at all. 

Last Saturday I also finally saw off the Super G fronts, with one cracking due to a cartwheel off a jump. After a bit of searching, I have found these JC Racing wheels which they are making in 2.2" size, pepperpot style and a bunch of colours for the Kyosho Rereleases. I was thinking I would need to do some kind of hex conversion of an Optima set, but brilliantly when I went looking for them I found THESE!

20200225_144816

Ultima bearing fit wheels. They come as a set with matching 12mm hex rears, but they aren't fitted. You can see my Losi pin drive rears up there. But back to the fronts. The Ultima uses 840 bearings on a 4mm axle, so I've had to take a punt and fit 850 bearings for the 5mm tamiya axle. They are very small, but if they get wrecked quickly I'll have to drill them out and fit flanged bearings in a bigger size. I needed to fit 4 of the Schumacher 5x7.0.4 shims behind each wheel and they work great. Can't wait to run them, but for now, if you have some Super G love, check out these JC Racing wheels. They're lovely!

• Like 2

An update. Firstly the diddy bearings in the wheels did just fine and ran for ptobably 30 minutes total at the track last saturday. As a result of quite a tight layout (instigated by me. I have been racing touring cars indoors too much!) the front end seemed a bit soft and the inside rear was lifting a bit. I put some trf red springs on and it was much better. Going to see about a few more setup changes if i get a chance to run anywhere anytime soon. 

And so to the bigger news. I fancied a lexan shell to have as an option to see how lower weight would help handling. I love the Coro Coro series, and plumped for a Saint Dragon via @Baddon brilliantly organised group buy. I figured all Coro Coros fit all tub style chassis, having seen quite a few Hornet based Super Dragons. Despite GH2 not being on the list of cut advice options in the original manual, i thought it would go easily. It didn't! It's a bit gappy at the front as the shell is a bit narrow for the tub, but otherwise it goes ok. You need to do hit and hope shock tower cuts. And of course, never box art...

20200321_175754

Paint went on lovely and shell trimmed up easily enough. The window mask is singly THE most difficult mask i have ecer applied. So 3 dimensional. Got it ok in the end, but maybe that soap spray sliding technique i haven't tried would work better? 

Was a bit disappointed with the washy neon yellow decals from MCI. I wanted them to match the flouro wheels. Also, with a bold base colour, the big block graphics seemed a bit much (top) , so i removed the top set (lower). 

20200321_182200 20200321_182208

Fitted up. I can see me trying another colour on the decals

20200321_183835 20200321_184122

I even remembered i had a matching driver in my old Grasshopper2 shell that i used to run on my DT03. Looking forward to running it and seeing how she handles! 

2020-03-21_07-02-57

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Simply awesome. Love the oldschool-ness and amazing paint job. Inspiring stuff sir. :) 

Thanks dude!