wolfdogstinkus

6x6 Tamiya Blackfoot? truck

Yes. 3 motor combos needed. Did look at gool rc but you cant set the timing and I am not sure if they are 0 timed?

I need one motor running backwards.

On 22/04/2018 at 5:50 PM, wolfdogstinkus said:

Yes. 3 motor combos needed. Did look at gool rc but you cant set the timing and I am not sure if they are 0 timed?

I need one motor running backwards.

Thats a good point, I’v been looking for the instructions for my GoolRC setup for the last few days but can’t find them :( 

I also have an etronix photon brushless setup too, that was well over twice as much as the GoolRC a couple of years ago. 

They are both sensorless.

I clearly remember the instructions for the etronix saying you only need to swap two of the motor wires to run the motor backwards, indeed I found for all my cars I had to do that. It has a very comprehensive programming card you can set the timing from 0 up to 30. The instructions didn’t make any mention of changing the timing for the wire swap. (The GoolRC didn’t have any card)

I’m by far from any kind of expert but as far as I can tell timings of brushless motors is purely an electronic change in the esc, so has no physical effect on the motor. Brushed motors are very different as you physically move the end cap of the motor to alter the timing, so running backwards really screws them up as the timing change has the opposite effect with running other way. I do stand to be corrected on that though. 

I’m still thinking about getting a second GoolRC setup mainly because I really like the one I have & am getting fed up constantly swapping it between cars. But also as I said I fancied trying the Clodbuster out with twin GoolRCs that would, like you, need one to spin backwards. So I have a vested interest. 

If you find anything else out let me know. 

I’ll get back to you if I get a second running backwards too :) 

• Like 1

On 25/04/2018 at 6:37 PM, wolfdogstinkus said:

XCgN54g.jpg

Got the pic to show.

They look good, but don't think about locking your diffs. The drive shafts are marginal at best with the stock tyres, locked diffs & stock tyres + jumps = broken drive shafts. Even with open diffs I'd be very careful about having just the right about of power on landing big jumps if you get the brushless motors running with those big tyres, sudden change in speed of wheels on landing will bend / snap the drive shafts all too easily :(  

• Like 1

Driveshafts are cheap enough to replace. Used to twist them all the time in the brushless blitzer. lol

Noticed I cracked the shock tower as well. think it was the cheaper CSC material one so not a big problem.

Seen people fitting these tyres to Blackfoot's and they do look much more MONSTER.

Looks quite the beast! It really needs a big  and beefy shell to go with it. Maybe a Tatra Dakar truck? They are mostly flat panels, so shouldn't be too hard to make out of plasticard (says he who has never scratch built a shell before...) :)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Looks quite the beast! It really needs a big  and beefy shell to go with it. Maybe a Tatra Dakar truck? They are mostly flat panels, so shouldn't be too hard to make out of plasticard (says he who has never scratch built a shell before...) :)

I have a shell, custom made by a mate, just been too lazy to get round to fitting it yet. still working on some lights for it, have working indicators and brake but no-where to fit them yet, need to find some buckets.

Will get some pics up soon,

13 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

I have a shell, custom made by a mate, just been too lazy to get round to fitting it yet. still working on some lights for it, have working indicators and brake but no-where to fit them yet, need to find some buckets.

Will get some pics up soon,

Looking forward to seeing it! What sort of vehicle does it represent?

Ok, not sure how well this will work as all the chopping was done without the chassis to hand and I have changed the wheels since then.

this was a while ago. have to take some more pics

t5Ngumb.jpg

Still have the fake engine to go back on the back.  and some lights to sort out.

It was lying neglected in my back garden, he took pity on it, measured the 6x6 and went home. When I saw him again. He had this. Lol 

Thanks @TurnipJF all his hard work, chopped the door and shortened the length, chopped down the middle and shortened the width.

Drilled and cable-tied for position and then fibre-glass filled, the pick up bed was grafted in from an old storage box.

Got a fake V8 to stick in the back as well.  The heat from the reaction of the fibreglass warped the shell a bit, but the proportions are a bit comical, it suits Tamiya well?.

Just hoping my  bargain brushless combo's turn out to be good, this is getting heavy with the top on.

Got the shell fitted. 6 year old driving. Told him not to flip it. Then i get the controls and flip it after 1 minute. Not on camera though. 

YCW7AZX.jpg

AYbveG1.jpg

Need to think about colour and lights and see if the engine still fits on.

The engine has LED's fitted in all the exhaust stacks. :D Thanks to my mate.  I think the rear body mounts maybe in the way, but they can easily be moved.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Got the shell fitted. 6 year old driving. Told him not to flip it. Then i get the controls and flip it after 1 minute. Not on camera though. 

Ha that’s exactly what I do too! 

Looking good, LEDs in the exhaust stacks sound fun! 

• Like 1

Ok, you've got a motor to put in that has LEDs in the exhaust pipes, you have to get one of those engine sound modules. Rev that engine when you take off and watch people freak out! :D

• Like 1

@Biz73 I was going to make it FPV but now I might just carry on as it is.

Yes engine sound unit is a possibilty, lots of room in this chassis. already had a few people ask if it's nitro,

Might get the engine later tonight or tomorrow. Or I will take more pics and leave the shell with my mate to finish.

• Like 1

FPV would require modifying that sweet body shell, but might be kind of cool. You certainly do have plenty of room in that chassis for whatever direction you decide to go.

You need a smoke machine to let out some exhaust and carry a gas can when you run it. When people ask, you say it is nitro, but your gas mileage sucks :lol:

• Like 1

Sorry @Biz73 I meant TPV Third person view, with the camera in the truck bed looking over the roof. It would still work but I am not sure if I am going in that direction yet.

any suggestions for a final colour?/ design or  decals?

Monster beetle decals may work?

Still have the side windows to fit back in as well.

• Like 1

The look of that body just screams for a black and red paint scheme. It would look evil!

I would use very few decals for a cleaner look. It's not a race car that needs sponsors' logos.

Just my opinions. Can't wait to see which way you go with it.