wolfdogstinkus

6x6 Tamiya Blackfoot? truck

Looks like fun!

The R2-D2 helmet is awesome btw :D

Your little guy is a great beta tester!

That's pretty impressive how you can make a 6wd jump around like that.

• Like 1

that's up on 3 wheels, every  time I try that, I flip it, but he seems to be able to land it. 

That's on a stick airplane tx as well, he prefers pistol grip.

That was me jamming the throttle at the end and nearly hitting the wall. lol :) 

Fibrelyte have been very helpful after breaking all 4 shock towers, they made me some new ones with some extra material.

X4Gnpvi.jpg

Ran it at nenevalley raceway. The guys there have been great. They let my boy loose on the track by himself while they are inbetween races. Last time out, the chassis was bent and twisted so I added another 2 crossmembers and lengthened the top deck to add support.

Will try and get pics before I break it again. 

Also broke some of the plastic gearbox mounts, so time for a new gearbox housing but it's lasted well. And its partly due to the chassis holes being misplaced.

Speed test results are in, 

a rather disappointing 29 mph.  :(

However, there is an option for a larger pinion and more voltage.

It's still a pretty scary 29mph though. lol 

youtube vid to come.

Had an idea for new chassis plates. Going to cut these from alu sheet and then join them so they can be adjusted in length. 

m6G57SI.jpg

The other option was to 4 link it?. But not sure how or if that would work with the independent suspension as well. 

It was never straight so a chassis re-design is due.

• Like 1

Had some angle left over from last repair, started a new chassis cradle.

Wfhk8NO.jpg

lSj89A0.jpg

7WjEYSZ.jpg

This will allow me to add as many axles as I like, and adjusted the length just by changing the outer rails. (the middle axle still needs the cross members)

0jFmMxG.jpg

pc0EJOj.jpg

So this will be MK2 until I get some 3mm sheet.

I re-used the front of the old chassis, because I couldn't be bothered cutting all the extra holes for the servo and steering rods.

All back together and working, just need to fix all the electrics and cut a flat for the batteries to be strapped in.

eLFEGn7.jpg

Didn't think that far ahead, but I think it is an improvement over last attempt. I can drop the gearboxes out one by one now without stripping the whole chassis apart, so it's an improvement there. 

• Like 2

Just checked the start of this thread..9months of pretty extreme bashing, 4? (lost count) driveshafts, Front hub, rear hub, A couple of gearbox mounts but they have been drilled and bolted so free repair.

The plastic parts have held up very well. 

All electrics cable-tied on, not ran this yet since rebuilt chassis but will try and run it at the weekend. I wrapped the receiver in foam and put it in a plastic bag to keep it watertight. The spacing on the wheels is slightly different now. Rear wheels closer together.

gIBEbQe.jpg

I just got my hands on another blackfoot3 and a wild dagger. 

Hehe, You know how it works, I needed £20 worth of parts, it would be better to buy a whole car for parts, so I bid 40 on a blackfoot3 chassis and won it, I was the only bidder.  But then it was too good for parts, like brand new. So I order the parts tree I need.

Then I spot wild dagger with many metal hop ups, this has the metal hubs and I keep breaking plastic ones, so I made an offer and won that as well. This is good as well, so now I still need to buy the parts I needed originally And have enough new parts to build another 6x6, but then I will need more as originally I was going to build a 8x8.

A familiar story to all of you, I am sure.

Looking for a gearbox drive cup, I think it's the short one with no pin, but I will check and update.

• Like 1

I vote for a 10 x 10 with multi-wheel steering, and make the 2 middle wheels have tank steering.

This lives on and has a body far better than I could have built.

I am trying to sort pictures out. It was sold on eBay as a chassis and the new owner has completed a body for it.