Chip1

Aero Avante

It’s quite interesting that no people here discuss about the aero avante. Is that any problem with hus car?

9CED984A-9F1B-4DC3-A08C-CAC0B56D5707.png

I did not think it was that interesting, yet you are right.

I surmise that people generally feel that it is nothing like an Avante, and the Avante being a hallowed name means that the Aero Avante is derided. With a plastic bathtub chassis and plastic everywhere, it is about as far from an Avante as one can get in a buggy without going to two-wheel drive, yet cashes in on the name. One can only openly dislike a car for so long, though, so whatever has been said is probably all that was going to be said.

Me, I never got close enough to a DF-02 to know what to say about it. I read about the Mini 4WD version, though, which I found quite interesting; that was a car that paid attention to airflow.

I would probably love one, but again, never had the chance to get one. I had a specially-painted Avante some time ago; I would have liked to attempt that scheme on a swoopy Aero Avante...

Yet there are people that love theirs. The bigger reason it is not being discussed might be that the DF-02 already existed before the Aero Avante, so outside of controversial branding, there is not much to talk about.

• Like 2

Grastens had said 99%.  

The problem with DF02 is that it's mundane.  It does what it's expected of, no more, no less.  It's rather unlike Tamiya.  There is no minor flaw that one could improve.  Not much in the way of adjustability either.  It does not come with a hot motor.  You can buy TT02B and you might not know the difference. Many parts are interchangeable too.  

I think DF03 Avante Mk II is a bit more advanced.   

[1]  TT02B chassis was derived from an on-road tub. 

[2]  DF02's shaft housing is built into the tub, making it stronger along the centerline.  Still, the tub has a battery on one side, and electronics on the other, just like TT02B.  

[3]  DF03 has a battery housing that takes up the whole chassis. It works like a double-decker chassis, making it very stiff.  Also balanced too. Dual ball differentials. Optional slipper clutch, etc. Much more deserving of the name Avante.  I think it's interesting that not many people discussing Avante Mk II or Dark Impact.  I've heard of a gear problem or front gearbox breaking off (when driven off a flight of stairs like an E-Maxx).  But if you could break DF03, DF02 or TT02 would be broken long before.  A video clip shows that it can take some beating.  Even though I already have DF02, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on DF03.  

3d5b6ae5-fb43-4558-aff2-27f5c2b6dd70.jpg.caf09517499c82767bcc46fbcc6721ac.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, it is true that the Avante MKII has a more advanced chassis. But imho, unlike aeroavante, the body of mk ii is a little bit odd. Seems deviates alot from the original avante...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chip1 said:

Yes, it is true that the Avante MKII has a more advanced chassis. But imho, unlike aeroavante, the body of mk ii is a little bit odd. Seems deviates alot from the original avante...

Lol, I know what you mean.  Original was organic looking.  Mk II has a weird Hoover Dam thing going on.     

If you look at the original Avante's shell without all the decals, Tamiya did try to follow Avante's original design.  80's was just cooler.  I'm more concerned that Tamiya is neglecting drivers!  That's just not cool.  [photo below is by Mooose at Tamiya base] 

20150709_184432_resized.thumb.jpg.505236887f2464b32b249af44c8fad3c.jpg

25 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Lol, I know what you mean.  Original was organic looking.  Mk II has a weird Hoover Dam thing going on.     

If you look at the original Avante's shell without all the decals, Tamiya did try to follow Avante's original design.  80's was just cooler.  I'm more concerned that Tamiya is neglecting drivers!  That's just not cool.  [photo below is by Mooose at Tamiya base] 

20150709_184432_resized.thumb.jpg.505236887f2464b32b249af44c8fad3c.jpg

Exactly!

I just do some search in youtube.

Which is an Aeroavante on Egress chassis. What will be the performance if we compare this chassis with df-02?

• Like 1

The correct question is not "how to fit..." but "why to fit an Aero Avante body on an Avante 2001 chassis?".

:D

Max

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Chip1 said:

Exactly!

I just do some search in youtube.

Which is an Aeroavante on Egress chassis. What will be the performance if we compare this chassis with df-02?

I think that Aero shell looks rad! Egress will be quite a step on from the DF02 as I understand it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grastens said:

The bigger reason it is not being discussed might be that the DF-02 already existed before the Aero Avante, so outside of controversial branding, there is not much to talk about.

I think that you hit the nail on the head there. The Avante is a car in its own right, with a chassis all its own, whereas apart from the shell (which I gather is a couple of steps removed from the Avante proper, being based on the Mini 4WD Aero Avante), the Aero Avante is no more interesting than a Gravel Hound or Rising Storm.

• Like 1

I think we as Tamiya RC enthusiast don't like half-hearted attempts to cash in on a name (in our RC eyes, not necessarily the eyes of a Racing Mini 4wd enthusiast). The Avante being so iconic makes it all the worse. We may allow a "Neo Scorcher" here and there without upsetting the Terra Scorcher faithful, but an Avante? Nope. Not slipping that one by us (yes, I know the Aero and MKII have Mini 4wd roots). TurinpJF is right. Both versions came out later as re-bodies on existing platforms. I also maintain that the DF03 was a good buggy that received a lot of interest when the Dark Impact came out. Remember, all we had was the DF02 before it (and from a racing standpoint, the earlier DF01 was more competitive) and the DF03 sported a much better design. The problem was the DB01 came along shortly thereafter, and being an even better buggy, stole the spotlight from the DF03.

• Like 1

I like my Aero Avante, it’s a good performer and the best looking of the DF02 shells IMHO. It also has stronger gear internals than the TT02B I believe. 

I run mine monsterised of course ;)

large.image.jpeg.8a59f78da811ca33c5b66e2

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I think that you hit the nail on the head there. The Avante is a car in its own right, with a chassis all its own, whereas apart from the shell (which I gather is a couple of steps removed from the Avante proper, being based on the Mini 4WD Aero Avante), the Aero Avante is no more interesting than a Gravel Hound or Rising Storm.

The DF-02 is really bad, full of plastic indeed. But can we replace it with metal arm or so?

8 hours ago, Nitomor said:

I like my Aero Avante, it’s a good performer and the best looking of the DF02 shells IMHO. It also has stronger gear internals than the TT02B I believe. 

I run mine monsterised of course ;)

large.image.jpeg.8a59f78da811ca33c5b66e2

Why don’t you apply the decals on it? It will look a lot better.

I kind of like it how it is, makes the sparkelescent paint pop. The decals are too intrusive in that they leave very little paint on show. I need to do something with the canopy glass though so may apply selected decals to it when I get some time. For many of the reasons above I don’t want to plaster it with the Avante name because it isn’t.