ALEXKYRIAK

Fast Attack Vehicle

Hi all, is the FAV as fun as Matteo makes it look??

It's clearly a proper old-school buggy in the truest sense of the word.

I have been reading up on these last day or so, seems to have a warm spot in many Tamiya fan's hearts, with a decent following. Looks quite fun in a basic way. (All of Matteo's absolutely amazing videos are extremely dangerous watching, I know, as I always come out the other end of one heading over to the nearest online RC purveyor...!  :blink:  )

I ask as Tamico are about to put it on their 'Specials' for next week.

• Haha 1

His videos are great and the main reason I started looking at the HotShot and WildOne/FAV. 

Did not want to hear that it’s going to be Tami co’s upcoming deal, must hide wallet!

I love Matteo's stuff. Yes, I'd say the FAV or Wild One are as fun as they look. I actually personally prefer them over the Hornet or Frog. Only my Fox slightly edges it out as my go-to fun early 2wd "plastic era" vintage runner.

• Like 1

The Wild One / FAV are great runners. Kind of tail heavy off of jumps.  Back in the day the gearboxes can be suspect but they might have fixed it with the rere.  Don’t hesitate and grab one now.

AC5D642E-8C69-41D5-9333-F2FE27BA7545_zps

• Like 1

Matteo can make my dog taking a dump look great.  

Having said that, FAV is a great runner.  Even with re-re's dog bones, my vintage FAV's gearbox clicks occasionally.  But no damage so far.  One of these days, I'll have to get to the bottom of that.  I wonder what sorcery allowed Matteo to chrome the rubbery parts like the bumper. 

Edit: somebody already asked about the chrome thing... he sent them to a special company that coats parts.     

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

40 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Matteo can make my dog taking a dump look great.  

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

The best thing about what you just said is that it’s 100% true.....

Thanks everyone for the responses. Let the temptation commence.

• Like 2

I think I may be sold on this buggy - but, I actually quite like the Baja style buggy as depicted in Matteo's video (and others you can see on the net if you google it), as opposed to the military look of the FAV in it's originally intended design and form.

So the question then becomes: if the Baja style buggy is the goal, is it better to start with the FAV or the Wild One as a base? In the context of this question:

- The Wild One is a fair bit more expensive, has the 'wrong' wheels and tyres for the intended buggy, and has red coloured plastics for the roll cage / frame. However it has better shocks all round (aluminium oil filled) and has a lexan body (a bonus to some I guess if they're more confident with lexan over the rigid ABS shells)

- The FAV has the perfect tyres type right out of the box, a better scale driver figure, and (I think) black plastic for the cage, however the wheels might be a tan colour out of the box (I would prefer white or chrome / aluminium) and the shell is rigid ABS (I personally found this a bit tricksy to work with, especially after my Mad Bull body sand paper nightmare...)

Having done some brief research, getting Wild One shocks on their own can be quite pricey from what I've seen on the net. Getting the chrome wheels also, if they're actual aluminium.

If this project is to go ahead, I am leaning on getting the FAV, and then sourcing the Wild One shocks and wheels separately, and just manning up and dealing with the solid body shell. Chrome wheels, and getting the plastic roll cage chromed or sprayed silver, are additional considerations that don't affect the base choice I guess.

All thoughts and suggestions most welcome.

Can’t really offer much other than in a similar ‘predicament’ as you but prefer the Wild One. 

When you posted that Tamico were doing the FAV I was interested as there’s bits of both I like but specifically the black cage and side bars over the red on the WO. However ultimately I’d be modifying either the FAV or WO to how I wanted depending on what worked cheaper to begin with but in the end it would be a WO. Tamico’s deal isn’t cheap enough once delivered to offset the differences between the two that I'd need to then purchase to do what I want. 

I know Ampro have done a few bit for the FAV. Have you seen them? Might help with your decision process. 

For me, I’m going to let this one pass. Good luck deciding! 

That video is essentially a Wild One, it looks like it drives much better than the FAV. The front dampers look like they make a big difference, imo. I've never driven a Wild One, so I could be wrong, but my FAV front end bounces a lot more than that vid.

Don't forget the Sharkmouth FAV, it has silver wheels and body instead of tan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Biz73 said:

That video is essentially a Wild One, 

Hey Biz, is it a wild one? Video description says it’s an FAV. How do you know? I can’t really tell but it looks FAV to me just with some interesting mods.

Shark mouth wheels, silver or grey? Thanks :) 

shenlonco, looks like you had some fun with that video. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Hey Biz, is it a wild one? Video description says it’s an FAV. How do you know? I can’t really tell but it looks FAV to me just with some interesting mods.

Yes, I would say that it's a modded FAV.  Mine bounced like Biz73 was talking about, so I got Wild One shock towers and oil shocks. Bottom shock bracket for the A-arms too, I think.  It wasn't pricey when I did it in 2001 or 2002.  The ones I got then has a tendency to stick.  I would work the shocks to loosen them before I drive it.  They were not very effective, but better than no shocks.  It looks like Matteo also put black CVA shocks for the rear as well. That's easy enough.   

Aside from the front shocks, the driver is the FAV soldier.  Wild One's helmet covers the mouth and the shoulders are Lexan in Wild One.  The shell looks like FAV. There is a mounting hole for the M60 machine gun in front of the empty passenger side.  Side nerf bars are FAV stuff.  Everything else is the same between FAV and Wild One. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

O I had a blast..check out all my FAV videos I love the FAV!

2 hours ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

It has Wild One dampers front and rear. A stock FAV will have pogo shocks. A stock FAV is still fun, it just doesn't drive the same as that vid.

Yes, the Sharkmouth FAV has silver wheels and body rather than tan.

I thought Jason's thread on his FAV could be relevant, so here it is.  Wheelie with 3100kv brushless looks fun.  

• Haha 1

Thanks Jugg I’d forgotten about my thread on the FAV... since last Summer mine has been bagged up in my Storeage depot... after seeing my videos again I miss it big time :(

I never got round to getting oil shocks for it but the other chattering noise I was ham fistedly trying to describe was Front Wheel wobble on the axles... duh! 

Jugg you said Wild One Oil Front Shocks will fit the FAV, plus the WO front Tower.. that it?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Thanks Jugg I’d forgotten about my thread on the FAV... since last Summer mine has been bagged up in my Storeage depot... after seeing my videos again I miss it big time :(

I never got round to getting oil shocks for it but the other chattering noise I was ham fistedly trying to describe was Front Wheel wobble on the axles... duh! 

Jugg you said Wild One Oil Front Shocks will fit the FAV, plus the WO front Tower.. that it?

You would need these brackets too.  These are different from FAV.  They allow shocks to be mounted slightly lower.  

5a68083577c16_wildonebrackets.jpg.dc54f919e193f3eedfb5a5c337340cb2.jpg

5a68085b89402_wildonefront.thumb.jpg.7b12036d8d4bd9e95259cc92496a7092.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Juggular, I assume that is part BA29 Front Suspension Stay 19804527?

If one were to turn an FAV into a Wild One, what are the other differences other than the obvious ones like wheels/tyres, shell, colour, driver?

Yes, Alex, it is BA29.  

As you may already suspect, aside from the shocks and other things you mentioned, FAV and Wild One are the same.  

Oh, another small thing.  The battery door is different.  Wild One uses a carbon A-plate. I don't think it's an improvement. Maybe Tamiya thought, "what else can we do to make Wild One different?"  and decided to throw in a carbon door.  I would think that hard carbon rubs on the battery, and it lets in dirt.  Body clips for FAV door is new for re-re.  My vintage FAV doesn't have the holes for the clips.  

5a68d97dcbce0_WildOnebatterydoor.thumb.jpg.a27dd614c2e92cbbba2aae71654829cd.jpg

5a68d988a32da_favdoor.jpg.78d97fd2403375d8a9204644854d156e.jpg

[Edit: I double checked to see that my vintage FAV does not have clip holes for the battery latch]

D5NwU1u.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow threads like this are dangerous. Neither of these models had been on my radar. But they both look pretty awesome. 

Although as others have said. The FAV is the better looker and I prefer the wheels. But the shocks on the Wild One do look like a major upgrade and pretty awesome visual upgrade too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Dangerous? too right mate. the RC ‘radar’ is like a sponge. 

None of these were on my radar until I looked a little more closely at the design, the model and the way it ran. It’s one of those cars that has a seemingly inexhaustible amount of modification ability and looks.

It reminds me somehow of my first RC when I was about 11. Just pure buggy. 

• Like 2