ALEXKYRIAK

Fast Attack Vehicle

I think the battle you will be up against with the FAV roll cage is that the material it is made of feels closer to a rubber than the hard plastics the chassis is made of. Clear coats tend to be hard and brittle and dont cope very well with flexible sub bases.

• Like 1

You guys have got to stop talking about the FAVs and Wild Ones. I keep putting one in my cart to check shipping costs to the US. 

On a side note, if the goal is shiny cages and bumpers, would an alloy replacement cage be feasible. Silver solder and a torch would do just as fine a job as TIG welding for a low stress item.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Would a PS type paint work on the roll cage? It’s a paint that is deliberately tolerant of flexing being intended for Lexan. But how to protect it? I think it scratches quite easily. I have a molotow pen and ink now, and have been eying cheapish airbrush systems listed on the Rain Forest.... but I don’t think this will be the solution.

In other news, all parts are now arrived. :)  Build could potentially start soon depending on other projects. Just need to solve the roll cage painting solution. Or I could just keep it black, but this would be a shame...

Also, I’ve seen photos on the net of the thin FAV front tyres with the words “sand blaster” imprinted into the rubber moulding, however my FAV fronts don’t have this detail. Is this a rare or discontinued tyre?

On 1/21/2018 at 8:40 PM, Juggular said:

Matteo can make my dog taking a dump look great. 

Maybe he could try having a go at shooting a video of the Chrysler Crossfire, a car memorably described by Jeremy Clarkson as having a stance resembling a dog squatting down to take a cr*p.

Chrysler Crossfire.jpg

• Haha 2

Can anyone recommend where to find decent headlight / headlamp parts, either as working LED lights, or simply with transparent ‘glass ‘ inserts? I want to embellish the car with some headlights but would prefer a) actual lights or b) static lights with a glassy look to the front of the headlight; I don’t want to use the opaque Tamiya headlights if possible.  Fixing method I guess will be important...  Thanks! :)

There were some really nice light buckets on shapeways for the wildone/fav but the listing for lenses for them seem to have gone from the site - could be worth emailimg the owner. 

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ampro?section=Tamiya+Fast+Attack+Vehicle+(FAV)+and+Wild+One&sort=

This is what I have fitted to mine.

Thanks @Superluminal  they look great.   But no lenses as you say! I wonder where else to get headlamps? I’ve tried various sites for crawlers, scale vehicles, other RC  types, but nothing really showing up. 

Edit: this looks interesting from Carson: https://tamico.de/Carson-2x-Lights-Offroad-18mm

On on the roll cage painting issue... I’ve seen lots of FAV examples with silver cages but most of these must be PS paint. Can’t seem to get a response from Matteo on the galvanic paints question. So if I’m feeling brave this weekend I could give it a go. I have red WO cage, and the black FAV cage.  I think I’ll try the red cage so if I mess it up, I at least have a ‘clean’ black cage to use. 

Just found another video of how Molotow can be made a bit more durable without destroying the finish.

On 1/6/2019 at 2:35 AM, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Will like to try the chrome paint process on the roll cage and frames. There are galvinic paints that can be applied to plastics apparently...more research needed here. 

Did you ever find anything definitive on this?

Hello mate, unfortunately not, looked too difficult to find a product that would be appropriate and last. So didn’t do it in the end! Still need to build that kit also!! It’s, um…. In the ‘queue’…!