Phil5556

Sand scorcher body on TL01B - How?

I have a Kamtec lexan sand scorcher body on the way and a Baja King TL01B chassis to fit it to.

Does anyone know what I'll need in the way of longer body posts etc please? I don't have a supply of them to play about with.

I know it fits OK because someone on here has done, and it looks good :)

968e8293.jpg
fb upload image

(Pic stolen from another thread)

Thank you :)

That does look good. Surprisingly so. I would have thought the TL01 was fixed with a 259mm wheelbase, a full 2cm longer than the Scorcher body. I have seen the body grafted well onto a TA03RS and I see no reason why a TA02SW would not work either.

Sorry but trial and error are your friends here. Maybe look at the magnetic body posts - you can stick the magnets anywhere on your body so you can line them up with existing TL01 ones.

• Like 1

I thought that might be the case but I've found the thread again and it turns out this one is @mr crispy's - hopefully if I tag him he'll see this. And maybe have a photo or 2 of it de-shelled :) Magnets seem a good idea.

Original thread here 

but it's been F'd by photobucket :angry:

i believe the TL01 was shortened to suit shell

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I think he did a shortened SS replica but also fitted the Kamtec lexan on a standard chassis I think.

And the photobucket photos still link to his bucket which is full of photos, looks like he used posts from the TL01 (not the buggy version) so I've just ordered a set :)

Hi Phil, sorry mate not been on the forum for awhile so only just seen this. That above pic of mine is the Kamtec Sandscorcher lexan shell on a full length TL01B chassis. The only running changes I e made are CVA shocks, bearings and 90mm tyres. 

You’re right that I used the L shaped rear mount posts but I fabricated a single post from my parts box and some brass strip. I’ve added some more photos to my PB page to show it better. 

http://s42.photobucket.com/user/crispy7480/library/RC cars/TL01B Baja Bug

TBH if I mounted it again I would just use both the TL01 mounting posts on the front as well to get 4 points, like I did with a WT01 Monster Beetle I built. 

7EA256AD-DC17-4D98-97C6-4EBDDA8A6F90.jpeg

Thats the 3 Beetles I’ve built so far, TL01B is on the left, the WT01 Monster Beetle with the twin bonnet mounts is at the back and the yellow/white Baja Bug on the right is another Kamtec Baja ABS Shell on a shortened TL01 chassis that someone mentioned earlier 😉

Let me know if you need anymore pics... you probably realised I got pretty badly screwed over by Photobuckets rule change 😠

Thanks for the pics, I've just pretty much finished sorting it. I used long double posts at the front and the little riser thing that I guess is off the normal TL01 chassis at the back. Only problem is where I've used straight posts on such a curved bit of body I've had to make up some angled rests (from plastic bushes) and glue them to the posts. Seems to have worked out OK though.

Had to cut the rear arches back a bit more than I would have liked as I didn't want to raise the body up anymore than I had to, bit of a shame but happy enough :) I'm only doing it for a bit of fun :)

IMG_20180128_131415474.jpg

IMG_20180128_131510449.jpg

IMG_20180128_131530100.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good to me. Think I had to bend the rear posts a bit to get them to fit and over time they’ve taken the shape. It makes for a fun runner and the Beetle body means should you roll it, 90% of the time it lands back on its wheels with virtually no damage done! I’ve been running mine on and off for 7-8 years on that same body on only picked up scuffs and a few cracks along the running boards. Superglue and fibreglass tape on the inside has fixed that. 

It’ll out perform any 2wd on loose ground thanks to the 4x4 and the supergrippers... almost feels like cheating 🤪

• Like 1

Just remembered you can still get these VW Engine sets from Duratrax:

http://www.thobbies.net/product/113360/DURATRAX-DTXC7616-Replica-Engine-Set-VW-Baja-Bug/

I screwed mine to the rear bumper and it even comes with the bar cage. Makes the rear end look so much better especially if you make up a little fan shroud like I did on the TL01 Baja Bug.

4832E051-4531-485B-A0AD-CA99F14C0EFD.jpeg

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, mr crispy said:

Looks good to me. Think I had to bend the rear posts a bit to get them to fit and over time they’ve taken the shape. It makes for a fun runner and the Beetle body means should you roll it, 90% of the time it lands back on its wheels with virtually no damage done! I’ve been running mine on and off for 7-8 years on that same body on only picked up scuffs and a few cracks along the running boards. Superglue and fibreglass tape on the inside has fixed that. 

It’ll out perform any 2wd on loose ground thanks to the 4x4 and the supergrippers... almost feels like cheating 🤪

I did think it looks pretty roll resistant :)

I think the running boards will be the weak spot, especially on one side the plastic is VERY thin, I was considering beefing them up with something before they break, maybe tape them on the inside and some black vinyl/carbon fibre tape if I can find something thin enough to take the stepped shape without peeling off.

Your shell looks much better finished than mine will, looks like you've spent some time giving it a bit of patina and have you sprayed the outside to make it matt?

And it is cheating, Bajas are supposed to be 2wd :D

25 minutes ago, mr crispy said:

Just remembered you can still get these VW Engine sets from Duratrax:

http://www.thobbies.net/product/113360/DURATRAX-DTXC7616-Replica-Engine-Set-VW-Baja-Bug/

I screwed mine to the rear bumper and it even comes with the bar cage. Makes the rear end look so much better especially if you make up a little fan shroud like I did on the TL01 Baja Bug.

4832E051-4531-485B-A0AD-CA99F14C0EFD.jpeg

Looks good, but they don't ship to UK by the looks of it. Though I do have a friend in Seattle who's due over here soon.... (And I don't have a bumper but was considering getting one.)

• Like 1

Still got the protective film on it and the associated overspray so should get a bit shinier once that's off :)

And just ordering some white paint to back it with as it's looking a bit see through in the light.

IMG_20180131_102043018.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good - that orange and white combination is great! The window masks are a huge help on that Parma body. I wish they included them for the shapes in the hood too.

• Like 1

The white does look good but I've just fitted some chunkier rubber with black wheels https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F332385409707

I was a bit worried that it would slow it down due to it raising the gearing too much, but it still flies! If anything it's a bit quicker, guess my new motor has enough torque to spin them :)

Looking good Phill. If you want one I may have a spare bumper somewhere. PM me your address and if I find it I’ll stick it in the post mate. 

Larger tyres should increase the top speed but be aware of overheating the motor. The limited gear options on the TL chassis can make that a problem.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mr crispy said:

Looking good Phill. If you want one I may have a spare bumper somewhere. PM me your address and if I find it I’ll stick it in the post mate. 

Larger tyres should increase the top speed but be aware of overheating the motor. The limited gear options on the TL chassis can make that a problem.

Messaged thank you very much :)

Yep I'll keep an eye on the motor temps, seems fine for the couple of runs I've given it but obviously it is the middle of winter and the grass is pretty wet/icy so not much traction.

Finished and stickered up :)

First run all the tyres came off when the glue let go, so re-glued and they feel solid this time. Should be good for playing around in the garden :)

IMG_20180214_213929535.jpg

IMG_20180214_213936206.jpg

IMG_20180214_213950885.jpg

• Like 2

That looks Fantastic!

I was going to do that with a TL01 and Blitzer body, but as luck had it a real Blitzer came up for sale in a deal I couldn't resist, so I moved the TL01 bits on... Here's a picture of the mock up...

IMG_20171028_191157.thumb.jpg.14c6277fd51dbbb1e4ea337869ce800a.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil5556 said:

I'm on the look out for a Blitzer, I fancy something 2wd.

I am loving the Blitzer - most fun Tamiya I've owned (although I do have rather limited experience), as a basher it has a really nice mix of 'dark impact plantedness' and 'lunchbox unpredictability' sooooo much fun!

• Like 1