Doc Hollywood

Tamiya Blazing Blazer Rebuild

I have finally got a blazing blazer after looking for one for many years. I managed to pick this one up from eBay for £910, I started the rebuild a couple of days ago it is very original, The drive train is rather worn out and the front axel swivels have a large amount of slop in them. The body is in great condition with all original parts the only damage is a crack from the front body mount hole. I have taken it to bits ready for cleaning. 

001.JPG

003.JPG

011.JPG

Nice example.

Do you have another brandnew Hilux family chassis to compare to? Otherwise just a friendly hint tolerances were pretty lax back then, plenty of slop in every moving part even when brandnew. 

Real wornout is when the brass teeth in tranny gears are all worn to sharp points & the yoke forks ground to nubs, 4WD layshaft worn until teeth don't engage anymore. 

Gearbox wear can be avoided by driving in top gear, but then all that high speed running would trash the body before long.

Whereas your body is good & the tyres look good... doesn't look high mileage :) 

My rear diff pinion and large gear was more worn on the rear of mine .

so I just swapped the pinions out the best one from front against the slightly worn gear , then shimmed and greased it up .

then rebuilt the front the same .

the play in the front king pin joints is normal 

before refitting the little plates I put afew drops of red loctite in there and it’s been used around the house afew times but still quite tight 

• Like 1

I have cleaned and degreased most of the chassis parts and polished them with toothpaste and put most of it back together. The front axel wasn't to worn I found a way of making the swivel king pins tighter by putting the plates on backwards and shimming them out slightly I have replaced most of the old brass bearings with ball races including new wheel bearings.

003.JPG

• Like 1

Only thing with doing that to king pins its going to wear fast as the load is on one point .

when it’s spread in that clamp it’s not as bad .

its a poor design .

it needs like a brass tube / bush  pressed over the ends or some thing .

you could take plates back off and glue very thin pieces of nylon / plastic and it go into the curved section on the clamps 

• Like 1

Or another idea would be to cut small heat shrink tube and cut like pieces off 2-3 mm and heat shrink them on at the Center point 

Put a dab of grease in there before screwing up and imagine they be lush :-) 

On 03/02/2018 at 5:28 PM, Doc Hollywood said:

I found a way of making the swivel king pins tighter by putting the plates on backwards and shimming them out slightly

I did this on one of my 3 speeds with a piece of the flat wire that holds in the cork on a bottle of Perry  ;) but as it is a shelfer there won't be any further wear .

• Like 1

Hi all

I have done some more to the Blazing Blazer, I haven't got to much time as I am rebuilding a series 2 Land Rover. I have inspected the gear box and the gears are quite worn but it works well enough. Here are some photos of what the gears looked like I also gave the case a polish with tooth paste and silicone the joints to stop the oil leaks but I found the front output shaft leaked because the o ring was hard so replaced it with a oil filled shock o ring which sorted that out.   I have also fitted the wheels to the chassis and done the lettering on the original tyres. Thank you for your advice on the king pins I have tried nylon :)

007 (7).JPG

002 (9).JPG

001 (9).JPG