VagabondStarJXF

MIP Hotshot Ball Diff Pre-Order - Final Push!

Just looked at tracking for my MIP balldiffs & it's in New Zealand . Just left there & now heading to Aus .

Know idea why it ended in NZ 1st and not come to Aus . So it should arrive this week , Well i'm hopping it

will . So i can get a set in & run it .  

good news , mine has turned up today ,, FAB,.. bonus is they never charge any import so a billy bargin.....now to start the strip down and rebuild .....

Woohoo they are here . Now to get one into Boomerang .

matman, I cannot wait to hear how your Boomer performs.....

Can you list motor specs also please

• Like 1

Well they are in . Took a bit ( of skin )  when i was reaming etc . On 2nd diff . HAHA blood every where ( on blood thinners don't help ) .

Dog bones are a pain , didn't know that it has vintage size one end & re re the other . 

So i can't use my YR racing uni's & had to find wheel axles :(  . 

MIP , Rear right ( motor side ) Dog bone moves greatly inward 

towards out drive and stays there . I had to put in 3 o ring's and a plastic spacer to stop it .

I am now waitiing on battery to charge & will give it a run .

Got BL 10.5 & li-po 7.2 .  

So hope this helps the boomer , also have DF03 alloy shocks all round with supershot front setup , alloy rcllover triangle hubs ,

alloy rear shock tower and CRP front brace on arms . 

• Like 2

Ok , Had to put in O-rings in outdrives on front , as they popped out  " Grr "  . 

Well it grips & handles a lot better . Works well . But i wish i can use my uni's .

Not sure why they had to use big done bone on one side & small on other side . As re re

would be easy to get for outdrives & wheel axles & dog bones if you were running a vintage ( and cheaper ) . 

As i have done on my runner . 

Over all , Not to bad . Just need some rain for grip & see how it goes then :D.  

• Like 2

Mine is in my hands today, which is the good news, but it cost me another £55.29 to collect it. Blasted HM Customs & Excise fees are so extortionate nowadays that it's going to stop me from supporting any further developments like this MIP diff. :(

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

Mine is in my hands today, which is the good news, but it cost me another £55.29 to collect it. Blasted HM Customs & Excise fees are so extortionate nowadays that it's going to stop me from supporting any further developments like this MIP diff. :(

That's outrageous ! . How can they justify that ?.  

6 hours ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

You guys need to pressure one of these hobby shops that supports this forum to import a good quantity. I would assume it would save on individual overseas purchases for these extra fees.

11 hours ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

Similar to me £42.15 (ouch) was for two sets though. So yes will be struggling to support MIP with additional charges like these. 

11 hours ago, tamiya_1971 said:

You guys need to pressure one of these hobby shops that supports this forum to import a good quantity. I would assume it would save on individual overseas purchases for these extra fees.

One of the largest UK based RC Shops (Modelsport) stocks MIP products, they have the Monster Beetle Diff for a reasonable price of £50, compared to the $60 (£44) that you'd pay from MIP, plus shipping and any import duties, so I assume that once the first batch of pre-orders have been fulfilled for the Hotshot diffs, then hopefully Modelsport will be able to stock the Hotshot diffs too which should be cheaper than buying from the USA and adding all the additional duties and handling fees. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, matman said:

That's outrageous ! . How can they justify that ?.  

I know, right? I worked it out and the charges equal approx. 69% of the value of the item.

13 hours ago, tamiya_1971 said:

I agree but no business would support a pre-order thing like this. AFAIK Modelsport only started supplying the ORV diff after the initial pre-order setup was completed, one which I also supported AND got charged a similar amount in HM Customs & Excise fees.

1 hour ago, AndyForbes said:

One of the largest UK based RC Shops (Modelsport) stocks MIP products, they have the Monster Beetle Diff for a reasonable price of £50, compared to the $60 (£44) that you'd pay from MIP, plus shipping and any import duties, so I assume that once the first batch of pre-orders have been fulfilled for the Hotshot diffs, then hopefully Modelsport will be able to stock the Hotshot diffs too which should be cheaper than buying from the USA and adding all the additional duties and handling fees. 

But what happens if the pre-order isn't fulfilled like this one was in danger of initially failing to fulfil?

8 hours ago, Finman said:

Similar to me £42.15 (ouch) was for two sets though. So yes will be struggling to support MIP with additional charges like these. 

This'll bake your noodle... I only bought one set and got charged more than you!

I've had a look into how the fees are calculated and HMRC's website wasn't particularly specific about how they calculate things. It did have a chart that makes me think that anything under the value of £135 shouldn't've been charged so I'm going to have to fill out some forms and request a refund from them. I really wish that Royal Mail would release it without the fees having to be paid first, after filling out the necessary forms to contest the fees of course, especially seeing as they don't assume any responsibility for the amount that's placed upon your package (apart from their £8 fee). It's all so frustrating. :angry:

17 hours ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

I've had a look into how the fees are calculated and HMRC's website wasn't particularly specific about how they calculate things. It did have a chart that makes me think that anything under the value of £135 shouldn't've been charged so I'm going to have to fill out some forms and request a refund from them. I really wish that Royal Mail would release it without the fees having to be paid first, after filling out the necessary forms to contest the fees of course, especially seeing as they don't assume any responsibility for the amount that's placed upon your package (apart from their £8 fee). It's all so frustrating. :angry:

You have to pay VAT on the total price (20%) once it goes over £18 (IIRC)
Duty is the one you might not have to pay although that's usually 2-3% on RC stuff
Then there's the clearing fee.

If you paid £55.29 in fees, part of that will be the clearing fee (£8 or £13) which leaves around £47 in VAT and duty
That'd make you parcel value around £235 working it back.

If it wasn't £235 then RM or PF have messed up - When this has happened to me in the past, it's usually because they've charged me for UK pounds value of goods instead of US dollars.
Getting a refund is easy enough but does take a few weeks:(
The label on the parcel should've had a full breakdown  of charges

5 hours ago, TWINSET said:

The label on the parcel should've had a full breakdown  of charges

Nope. No label with a breakdown, just a pink sticker with "Customs Fee to Pay" on it.

That's strange - the last chargeable parcel I received had the pink sticker but also a self-adhesive 'receipt' stuck to the box with a breakdown of what the charges were - bit smaller than a CD inlay.

Did they not explain the charges in the 'you gotta pay' letter?

Ultimately, you only need to supply HMRC with proof of what you paid out, as that's what they'll base the refund on, so MIP's order confirmation, the Paypal transaction or a credit card bill would do.

The bog-standard grey "you-gotta-pay" card I received just had the total amount on it, £55.29, with no breakdown/itemisation of the fee.

This was on the last charged import I received

Maybe it coming via PF gets it the label

20180514_234918.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:22 PM, VagabondStarJXF said:

gutted for you ,, as said I had mine in the door with no extra charge , I think they pick things at random to charge who they want ...ahh LOOKS LIKE A FEW OF YOU HAD more than one set , I only had one so was in a jiffy bag .. as you has a box I guess the flag went up to charge you more ..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pengoo said:

as you has a box I guess the flag went up to charge you more ..

I always get hit when it's something from the USofA. My single diff kit order came in a bubble envelope and I still got charged more than @Finman who bought two. I'm not unlucky, I think I'm on a list somewhere. It's surely payback from over a decade of buying paintball parts and equipment (as well as the odd RC part), all from the States, and getting away without being hit with fees. :D:unsure::D:unsure:

Hey guys, MIP called me today to talk about a problem that they heard about with the axle play on the HS and BW diff set. First things first, they are aware your concerns and are looking for the root cause/solution to the issue. I have a rere and a vintage car in my possession at the moment so I will look at them both. The reason I have not experienced this problem is that my vintage car has every one of its arms broken so I redesigned the lot and have them all at Shapeways. Second, there rere is mint and does not belong to me so I have not run it. It would appear, in my opinion, the issue is that the drive cups are deeper on the MIP diff and thusly creating increase axial movement. This should be solved with a small spring in the hub (like the RC10's had way back when). I suppose a few o-rings would work too as you all stated. Finally, we went through great effort to determine the differences between all of the Hotshot family of cars, original and Rere. MIP came to the conclusion to support the Rere Hotshot and the Rere Bigwig when selling this set of diffs. These are the models that we will focus on though I am sure the solution will apply to other.s Please stay tuned as MIP is working on this. Thanks guys. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for letting us know that MIP are on it @Pintopower. I've been watching and waiting, seeing how many people report this issue, before I tried fitting mine so it's good to know it's being looked into.

I’ve been speak to Dalton at MIP. I don’t believe there is any dimension difference between the Boomerang re re and HS and BW re re. Problem is deep cups on the diff and too short driveshaft on the rear.

Front diff I didn’t fit I might leave it an open diff so can work with my DF03 universal joints 

Mine started binding and chewing up the shaft. Hope the find a fix.