VagabondStarJXF

MIP Hotshot Ball Diff Pre-Order - Final Push!

4 hours ago, Avante2001R said:

I’ve been speak to Dalton at MIP. I don’t believe there is any dimension difference between the Boomerang re re and HS and BW re re. Problem is deep cups on the diff and too short driveshaft on the rear.

Front diff I didn’t fit I might leave it an open diff so can work with my DF03 universal joints 

Mine started binding and chewing up the shaft. Hope the find a fix.

Yeah I think it is your message that Dalton and I are looking at. Here is the deal with anything other than the RERE HS and the RERE Bigwig. Those cars were the cars where fitment was tested. No other cars were looked at as the data collection showed variances in the dogbone length and other geometry. When I cross referenced the dogbone length from MIP and the stock ones, the center to center of the pins is exact. I am not saying you are wrong in the least, I am saying that the ones in the cars I have show this. Did tamiya change stuff? Bones? Drive cups? Who knows, I could write a book on things that make me scratch my head about Tamiya. Are you having problems with both dogbones (left and right) on the rear? I really wish I had some arms so I could put this pile of @#$% car of mine together. 

Can anyone confirm issues on front L & R vs rear L & R? I think the problem is on the side with the screw head and not with the t-nut. 

• Like 1

Info I have thus far from various places suggest boomerang and bigwig rear shaft lengths are the same. Front is some what shorter same dimensions length wise as MIP front and rear. My feeling is MIP should have supplied longer shafts as per Tamiya and made the diff output cups a little shorter. Because these cars have droop the angle can be intense and having a longer diff cup just starts eating away at the drive shafts

The issue is not left and right rear but both sides. I have not bothered to do the front as I run universal joints I don’t want to revert back to normal drive shafts. From an efficiency point of view the ujs are better.

manual from the re re boomerang suggests wheel axles and suspension arms are the same. So not sure what is going on.

So it looks like the Boomerang has a spacer that Tamiya put in the output drive cup. This shifts the axle outward as a way not to make a new driveshaft for the boomerang. As MIP only designed this for the HS RERE and the Bigwig RERE, the boomerang was never tested. It looks like to make this work, that spacer needs to be in there. Also, as for universal axles, that would have driven the price of the set up to $300 and was not going to work sadly. 

On 9 June 2018 at 5:48 AM, Pintopower said:

So it looks like the Boomerang has a spacer that Tamiya put in the output drive cup. This shifts the axle outward as a way not to make a new driveshaft for the boomerang. As MIP only designed this for the HS RERE and the Bigwig RERE, the boomerang was never tested. It looks like to make this work, that spacer needs to be in there. Also, as for universal axles, that would have driven the price of the set up to $300 and was not going to work sadly. 

No it would have not driven the price up . If the MIP drive cups were the same as rere , we could have used the Uni's & ( or ) 

our own drive shalf's . Vintage could have changed to re re axles & drive shalfs , cheaper than buying vintage ones .

Due to wear & tear etc . Now , Boomerang does come with two types of steering arms , One that will take the hotshot

front axles as it's spaced the same , Or the other set ( says in manual ) to use for boomerang , that takes the longer

drive shalf's ( rear one's all round )  , Then you ( MIP ) would not have need to supply dog bones & would have been

cheaper . As most of us would have been useing re re out drive , dog bone & axles for runners  ! ... 

Oh , when i look it the BD it looks a copy of the blackfoot ?? Type .  

Well that's my take anyway & a simple one as well :D. .  I'm happy we even got the Ball diffs still , 

So of course thanks again pintopower & MIP . 

On 6/9/2018 at 10:55 PM, matman said:

No it would have not driven the price up . If the MIP drive cups were the same as rere , we could have used the Uni's & ( or ) 

our own drive shalf's . Vintage could have changed to re re axles & drive shalfs , cheaper than buying vintage ones .

Due to wear & tear etc . Now , Boomerang does come with two types of steering arms , One that will take the hotshot

front axles as it's spaced the same , Or the other set ( says in manual ) to use for boomerang , that takes the longer

drive shalf's ( rear one's all round )  , Then you ( MIP ) would not have need to supply dog bones & would have been

cheaper . As most of us would have been useing re re out drive , dog bone & axles for runners  ! ... 

Oh , when i look it the BD it looks a copy of the blackfoot ?? Type .  

Well that's my take anyway & a simple one as well :D. .  I'm happy we even got the Ball diffs still , 

So of course thanks again pintopower & MIP . 

Let us be clear, I am not MIP. I know you know that but so many do not. I have no affiliation with them at all other than helping spread the word for all this. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have been part of the design process but I have a very busy full time job. So, what I meant about cost was that the drive cups are cheaper this way since they used the tooling for the Blackfoot. Making a new tool would have driven up cost much more but making the dog bones did not since MIP makes millions of kinds of those. I just wish we would have gotten some CVD's....for double the price...haha! Awe...now im sad. Anyway, I made an installation video here:

https://youtu.be/NMB_l9d_aMY

On 6/13/2018 at 7:44 PM, Pintopower said:

Let us be clear, I am not MIP. I know you know that but so many do not. I have no affiliation with them at all other than helping spread the word for all this. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have been part of the design process but I have a very busy full time job. So, what I meant about cost was that the drive cups are cheaper this way since they used the tooling for the Blackfoot. Making a new tool would have driven up cost much more but making the dog bones did not since MIP makes millions of kinds of those. I just wish we would have gotten some CVD's....for double the price...haha! Awe...now im sad. Anyway, I made an installation video here:

https://youtu.be/NMB_l9d_aMY

Hey there

Thank very much for your Video! Perfect.

Sorry for posting here... but sounds like you guys know best:

I fitted 2 MIP-Ball Diffs in my Super-Shot!... and I will have the Hot Shot 2 Decals soon...so its more the HOT SHOT II than Super Shot... anyway... my question:

When I accelerate (on the street) it's breaking out very quick! Is this a Problem with tightening the Diffs? Front/Rear...?

IMG_3743.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tumbi said:

Hey there

I fitted 2 MIP-Ball Diffs in my Super-Shot!... and I will have the Hot Shot 2 Decals soon...so its more the HOT SHOT II than Super Shot... anyway... my question:

When I accelerate (on the street) it's breaking out very quick! Is this a Problem with tightening the Diffs? Front/Rear...?

IMG_3743.jpg

Nice to see this thread get bumped up. This looks familiar!

I have an all black HS upgraded as well. It's been a shelf queen so I have not yet run it but what are your specs? What tires/wheels did you go with?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

I have an all black HS upgraded as well. It's been a shelf queen so I have not yet run it but what are your specs? What tires/wheels did you go with?

thank you... just a lovely classic! Put a 9mm Hex on it and the Wheels  are from Dark Impact...  and in the back i put the tires from my Blitzer Beetle on...

Changed the fron Knuckles to black alloy ones...  so still waiting for those dacals... and then I'm not sure if I'll ran it...or maybe as you...put it as a shelf queen :)  but...hey...they need to fly  ;)

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Tumbi said:

thank you... just a lovely classic! Put a 9mm Hex on it and the Wheels  are from Dark Impact...  and in the back i put the tires from my Blitzer Beetle on...

Changed the fron Knuckles to black alloy ones...  so still waiting for those dacals... and then I'm not sure if I'll ran it...or maybe as you...put it as a shelf queen :)  but...hey...they need to fly  ;)

Nice! Yes, I have the hex already just haven't figured out the wheel/tire combo.

One day I will run it for sure or else why put the MIP diff and upgrade it to brushless? I'm more of a wrencher anyways so either way is fine. :)

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 8:56 AM, Tumbi said:

Hey there

IMG_3743.jpg

What tires, wheels and shocks are those?

2 hours ago, Mrowka said:

What tires, wheels and shocks are those?

the Wheels  are from Dark Impact...  and in the back i put the tires from my Blitzer Beetle on...

the Shocks are no name… but I could tune them with extra o-Rings ans other oil! Don‘t know anymore where on eBay I bought them… about 4 years ago 🥸 sorry!

• Thanks 1

On 3/31/2022 at 4:34 PM, howaboutme said:

Maybe its gonna be a Shelfqueen too… now finally got my decals…

935D06C4-7F9B-458A-B308-A5C508CCF3EB.jpeg

• Like 2

Just want to share my experience with MIP!

after about 3 Weeks a Wishbone broke…or lets say one bolt broke/felt off…(see picture)

i wrothe them and they replaced that Part…pretty uncomplicated and with a quick reaction!

Great Service from MIP! Hats off 💪🏼

02B818F4-C2A8-405D-B0B8-8D83756C8E35.jpeg

2 hours ago, Tumbi said:

Just want to share my experience with MIP!

after about 3 Weeks a Wishbone broke…or lets say one bolt broke/felt off…(see picture)

i wrothe them and they replaced that Part…pretty uncomplicated and with a quick reaction!

Great Service from MIP! Hats off 💪🏼

02B818F4-C2A8-405D-B0B8-8D83756C8E35.jpeg

MIP is top notch.

How did it break? Was it a crash(es)? Wondering if it can't stand up to brushless abuse.....

9 hours ago, howaboutme said:

MIP is top notch.

How did it break? Was it a crash(es)? Wondering if it can't stand up to brushless abuse.....

No… no crash!