Sign in to follow this  
Butler

Tamiya scale touring car for the track?

Hello,

Me and few mates use a car park track and a dedicated out door track for some casual racing. As you can imagine its turned into an arms race. I currently run a FF03 Civic with a Touring car wing and 10.5T

One guy as just bought a Schumacher Mi1v2 and a proper touring shell along with 4.5T motor. Its pretty quick as you can imagine.

I don't like that car and a don't like the jelly mold shells, so looking for something I can keep up with thats Tamiya and scale looking.

I was looking at Tamiya 1/10 TB04 ENEOS SUSTINA RC F 4WD Car Kit EP #58595 and putting on a proper down force wing. I like the scale looks and its shape seems like it might have some decent aero.

I can't really afford a TRF car.

Is that shell any good for racing?

Is the TB04 any good, or is it worth looking at the TA0x cars?

Thanks Marc

Haha sounds like a lot of fun! We have kept our backyard races to stock kits with minor upgrades for this reason.

How clean is the track? If its well swept then look at the TA07. It has a flat chassis plate and belt drive so stones will foul the belts if it is really stony.  This is the latest of the mid range cars from Tamiya and shares suspension with TRF cars, comes with TRF dampers and from my one club night with it so far it is capable of keeping up with carbon fibre cars. Its also pretty cheap for what it is. The TA07 R has been released but is about twice the price of the pro and personalky I don't think its worth the extra.

If its a stony area you race in you may want to look at the TB cars, I don't know which is best but there have been some threads recently about them. One thing though, shaft drive don't handle high powered motors too well, torque steer is a problem. There is a TB04R if budget allows.

The TA07 doesn't come with a body which means you can choose. They do a lightweight Subaru BZR which looks pretty good.  Actually its just a chassis kit, has wheels but no tyres. However no real hopups needed.

Check out the build threads from effigy and fuijo who have both done really useful builds

On 1/24/2018 at 9:55 AM, Butler said:

As you can imagine its turned into an arms race.

Nothing like a good arms race to drive progress :lol: 

What did you end up doing?  You could just slap a 3.5t motor in your FF03 or go bigger on the voltage with the 10.5t. 

This is the result of a long standing arms race with one of my friends, skip to 40 seconds in....

On 1/24/2018 at 6:15 PM, Jonathon Gillham said:

One thing though, shaft drive don't handle high powered motors too well, torque steer is a problem.

Not sure that I would agree with that from my (limited) experience.  A second hand TB Evo or a TRF would be a better value purchase than a mid level TC as they are fully sorted from the factory, ebay is your friend :)