novicelad

And so it begins Tamiya TNX TGM-03 brushless conversion

Here is the video of it all back together with the wheels on running on the bench, only a 2s battery see the tires ballooning a bit ! :D

Still to do the following

• Hi Torque steering servo
  • work out mounting the batteries intend to run 4s
  • New Traxxas suspension on the way
  • Swap the tires around on the front because they are the wrong way round
  • Source a body 

• Like 2

OK so this evening I couldn't do much but I decided to mount the ESC and receiver and strap a battery on. I briefly drove it through the lounge and the cat took off (wish I had filmed it) but I also left big black tyre marks on the lounge floor ooooooops! Here are some pics of how it looks. Also another test video with things mounted better and a 3s battery. It looks plenty quick enough will be interesting to see how 4s is just waiting on the cable to let me run two batteries! uc?export=view&id=1D6fY_xM-ei5xEI4Ut_HGJ

uc?export=view&id=12yqwwKFZXbBypAzHxee1P

uc?export=view&id=1cKjA7KFapdykfArUHeoR8

Got the traxxas tmax shocks fitted, just need to work out how to mount batteries?

With any luck will get it tested soon!

rps20180206_215923.jpg.2ea5f070b8b981c6a7abf66e54e8db5a.jpg

rps20180206_220145.thumb.jpg.e5369e6d1077f5513827ce62152c272e.jpg

• Like 1

Took out for a test tonight just up and down the road on 3s and it goes very well, motor barely warm!

So all good

Thought I would show a vid, doing one handed driving and filming is an art!

This is only 3s and this is me being careful

TNX 3s

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

You’re going to need a wheelie bar or something on that. Looks like it’s barely contained!

Yes I think 4s is going to be interesting!:D Need to turn down the braking force too it flipped it on its head as its too much and broke body mount!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Crazy. Sounds awesome. What she’ll are you going to use? The standard or have you something different in mind? 

Well I want an original body on it some coming into stock next week so we will see. Trouble is body and decals are nearly £40 in total!

Shells/decals are so expensive aren’t they? Was going to re shell the racing fighter so the girls could choose the colour scheme. Looking at the best part of £55. 

Look forward to seeing what you finish up doing. 

Just an update

I have received a new Hi Torque servo courtesy of @Prescient so many thanks! I have also received a Y connector to enable me to run 2 batterys so will test on 4s tonight! :D

I have ordered some universal battery holders too so when they come will try and fit them, I am hoping to have sourced a body too! 

Tonight I fitted the hi torque servo thanks again @Prescient and turned the battery connector into a series one instead of parallel, and on 4s this thing is a bit mad! :D

ephBmUr.jpg

vdeEQWR.jpg

Just waiting on battery holders and body now

• Like 1

So I got home from work today and thought I would test 4s out. It flipped on its head, so the rest of the time I was gentle couldn't test full speed need more room and a body!

• Like 1

Body sourced looks fantastic, and goes so well took it out today on a grassy area and it rips!

EGJmvrz.jpg

EbJL3Je.jpg

bWSJ8wB.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

badword that's MASSIVE

Its rather intimidating when its coming towards you, i've not had a chance to go full speed yet but it shifts!

So it looks like I have finished the TNX brushless build, mounted the battery box holder thing which is an FTX outlaw one tidied up the cables and here it is!

Ldhiiwc.jpg

dlYBxbK.jpg

s6bla85.jpg

QjMOlXi.jpg

PopfC1U.jpg

• Like 3

Brilliant thread. I picked up two of these for £45! I am going to convert them both for me and my son :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, qatmix said:

Brilliant thread. I picked up two of these for £45! I am going to convert them both for me and my son :)

Excellent looking forward to see the results

Final thoughts

So the build is now completed and I am very chuffed with how it has come out, this has truly been on a budget and I have been able to get to this point for under £150 which I think its pretty good, yes the TNX is old now and very outdated by its competitors but its different and if I wanted to get a similar T-Maxx i'm looking at £100 just for the chassis.

I have been lucky enough to source info from the never ending supply of the internet and you guys so thank you!

If anyone decided that they want to do something like this please don't hesitate to get in touch, i'm not an engineer most of this has been trial and error but I can offer advice from my experience 

• Like 4

Realised I hadn't put up a final chassis pic so here it is with the 4s battery in situ 

nHUD277.jpg

• Like 2