Double

Improving TT02 Turning Radius

Finished my TT02, added a few hop-ups including the Yeah racing aluminum/ball bearing steering kit. Still seems like a pretty limited steering angle, and I'm using alot of power steering in tight turns.

Servo has plenty of room left left/right to turn more sharply.

Is there an easy mod to increase turn in/decrease turn radius? 

Do you have, or have you considered the Tamiya aluminum 3-degree rear uprights? They change the toe of the rear wheels so that cornering and handling is better.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio-control-parts-70/hop-up-parts-72000/rc-tt02-alum-rear-uprights-54733

Are you using the kit stock plastic steering rods? Those give a little bit of understeer under power. If you get the #54248 turbuckles and #50797 ball ends, you can adjust front toe for more understeer / oversteer.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio-control-parts-70/alum-ti-turnbuckles-72020/rc-aluminum-turnbuckle-shaft-54248

https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio-control-parts-70/r-c-spare-parts-71000/rc-5mm-short-adjuster-50797

(Links to TamiyaUSA for reference)

For quick and free, you can trim the limiters off of the steering knuckles for increased steering throw.

@DoubleThis could be a controller end point adjustment issue. Especially if the servo has more to go. Check the instruction on your handset. 

My TT02s have always been really sharp on steering. They will turn in the tightest circle they physically can.

• Like 1

I will definitely trim the knuckles and look into the turnbuckles. 

As far as the turning circle, it seems very wide to me, even with the steering at full lock, I'll check over the car tonight and see if I might've missed anything. 

Thanks guys! 

5 hours ago, Prescient said:

@DoubleThis could be a controller end point adjustment issue. Especially if the servo has more to go. Check the instruction on your handset. 

Nice. I didn't even think about that. I just assumed that was already done. @Double, before you trim the limiters, look to see if you're hitting the limiters yet.

Got it sorted today.

1st spot hitting was the center piece between diff cover and the piece that secures the driveshaft outdrive. Trimmed the "wings" off that, then found it was hitting the bottom steering limiters, so I trimmed those off the knuckles. Next, it was hitting the outer steering cups,  so I switched in a pair of front universals. Finally, it was just pushing against the top steering limiters so I trimmed those off the knuckle as well. 

Now the servo has full range of motion and turning radius is basically cut in half. 

Huge improvement!

Only cost was $14.25 for the universals. Thanks for the recommendations! 

• Like 1