kyosho1

Manta Ray is re-released for 2018

2 minutes ago, topforcein said:

i live in the uk but i have herd of members being stung by customs witch then dont make the rc cheap or even more than what it would cost if brought from a uk rc shop

Is that not a China etc issue hence why so many (eBay especially) sellers offer to mark the product/package down. 

Was just my understanding and I know that it’s popular to buy MTB parts from some of the big German places and never heard of people being stung (not to say it hasn’t happened). 

Model_Build on eBay have one available (£225) and there’s one under it for £198. 

More than Tamico but less hassle however I’m sure it doesn’t apply in the EU.

in the UK, we are still in the EU so no custom charges at the moment (from tamico)

• Like 1

As stated above, you won't pay any additonal charges if you buy from Tamico within the EU.

Tamico shipping to the UK is €13.90. Plus I tend to add 4% currency conversion (I use Paypal debiting my Credit Card). So the €160 Top Force works out £160 delivered to your door.

• Like 1

I shall look forward to buying one of these and monsterising it!! :)

It’ll make a great basher with its long stroke dampers and its sturdy bathtub (apart from battery ends), shame they didn’t enclose fully like the big wig chassis.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, topforcein said:

the only prob i have wiht this is it has the very real chance of being caught by our best mates the customs then that wont make it worth buying tbh.

but it is cheap esp as no shipping costs.

@Man1c M0nk3y @topforcein

There is absolutely no import duty, vat or duty related admin charges from Tamico nor should there be for any other shops based in countries in the EU. Tamico are German based. They are also really quick to ship and package very well. Fastest for me has been ordering Monday and getting Wednesday. 

Of course Brexit may change that but that's not impacting yet. Tariff free trading is one of the key benefits of a single market like the EU.

I have bought thousands of pounds with Tamico as have many members on here.

Tamico do charge a fixed ship cost by DHL courier to the UK regardless of size but it's not much given the saving. Always worth adding a few bits to the basket like spares, hi caps etc.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Prescient said:

@Man1c M0nk3y @topforcein

There is absolutely no import duty, vat or duty related admin charges from Tamico nor should there be for any other shops based in countries in the EU. Tamico are German based. They are also really quick to ship and package very well. Fastest for me has been ordering Monday and getting Wednesday. 

Of course Brexit may change that but that's not impacting yet. Tariff free trading is one of the key benefits of a single market like the EU.

I have bought thousands of pounds with Tamico as have many members on here.

Tamico do charge a fixed ship cost by DHL courier to the UK regardless of size but it's not much given the saving. Always worth adding a few bits to the basket like spares, hi caps etc.

I know, or was pretty sure that was the case but open to the fact that it may have changed at some point as I haven’t ordered from within the eu for a while. 

7 hours ago, topforcein said:

as i said early in my last post i ran a lrp black e motor a brushed one in my manta ray if i remember it was around 10 or 11 turn and ran a tekin esc on either 1600 or 1800 ni cads of the time and that was 1992 ish charged on a one of them rico fast charger things (witch i also still have and use):D. i think the only mods i did to my manta ray was ball race and a diff set of wheels as i dont like the dish wheels. i did on occasions run an  MRI, 19 Triple Modified ajustable timing. know as for brushless i cant comment .:D

ps i think a used  ray is gonna be on your list. 

Lol a used Manta Ray will never darken my door again after my last experience.. funnily I have a TA01 (DF01) Cossie that was bought 2nd hand but I will not put anything as fast in that for fear of damaging that rear gearbox area.

On 1/27/2018 at 2:38 AM, Jason1145 said:

... and somehow after 3-4 minutes brushless power doing a doughnut ( as shown in video) the bushing inside the idler gear cracked under the abuse allowing the idler gear to skip.... I had it so welded down it couldn’t lift so it thought... did it, I’ll kill my self another way - if I can’t lift like I want too... I’ll crack the bushing!

2s lipo on only a 3000kv motor I think.

Id love to see a Manta Ray drive this quick and not fail... god help it if it jumps because I didn’t even get that far.

I'll be gentler, run a sensored setup, i wouldn't be surprised if all of that chunking from a non-sensored motor destroys gear teeth.  Come to think of it I've only had one instance of stripping spur teeth that was on a sensored motor and at least ten with an unsensored motor.

• Like 1

placed my order for manta ray plus the ally motor mount and the hard shaft today as got given a good price on them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dc-arena said:

Does the Manta Ray have the metal gears like the Top Force?

Yes the manta Ray has the metal gears in the rear box. One of the first things I would change. I bought the 2017 top force last year and they will be in the bin straight away.

Has anyone ever considered or know of anyone who has managed to make a slipper clutch for the manta day/ top force?

Im sure someone with some engineering skill could make something that would protect the drive train a little.

1 hour ago, Calvino said:

Yes the manta Ray has the metal gears in the rear box. One of the first things I would change. I bought the 2017 top force last year and they will be in the bin straight away.

Tamiya part 50529, right? 

On 16/02/2018 at 8:20 AM, Calvino said:

Are the metal gears no good?

The metal gear has the same problem as the stock Tamiya pinions. They wear faster than the plastic gears. The metal particles mix with the grease and circulate a nifty gear grinding paste mixture throughout the gearbox.

• Thanks 1

just had a message from tonys tamiya parts about my manta-ray plus hard shaft+motor mount as arrived.

so i trip will ensue this sunday to collect:D

• Like 3

Just ordered a Manta ray with some hop ups, as it's way different looking to anything else i have, so i had to get one. I remember seeing one on display around 1990 when they were 1st released and was thinking to myself, what a crazy looking body shell 🙂

• Like 2

I am definitely tempted, seems like a great price all things considered. I think i'd prefer one to a TT-02B

• Like 2

17 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

I am definitely tempted, seems like a great price all things considered. I think i'd prefer one to a TT-02B

it is a great price even cheaper when i got my original one back in 92 

• Like 1

got my manta ray on saturday. i dont like the kit wheels and didnt like them when i got my original one either so they will be getting different ones.

IMG_20180509_145206.thumb.jpg.f08f695258cf6cbcc9bf3e56c6a86589.jpg

3 hours ago, topforcein said:

got my manta ray on saturday. i dont like the kit wheels and didnt like them when i got my original one either so they will be getting different ones.

IMG_20180509_145206.thumb.jpg.f08f695258cf6cbcc9bf3e56c6a86589.jpg

I reckon some white Egress style wheels would look good on that, and you can use the tyres.

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I reckon some white Egress style wheels would look good on that, and you can use the tyres.

agreed so the search begin's

• Like 1

Tower has finally received their first batch for those of us in the United States! As of right now, current Tower members can still use their discount codes. I wonder how long that will last with Horizon purchasing Hobbico. Horizon does not typically use any discount system, so I fear that may be going away soon.

Bit of a random, but apropo of another thread on this I figured out how the DF03 dampers can be offered as a hop up on the Manta Ray.

Had a browse on this over lunchtime and managed to find the Manta Ray 2018 manual. The way you get the 53926 DF03 dampers to fit a DF01 is to add the long eyelet. The stock damper are 75mm eye to eye and have a short end eyelet. The new manual tells you to replace this with part V6 from the kit (the long CVA shock eyelet). This is 7mm longer than the short version. So now you are up to 82mm eye-to-eye. Then it says to leave out the 0-ring from the inside so now you have a DF03 front shock which is 85mm eye to eye, comapred to 87mm for the kit Top Force/Manta Ray shocks. Close enough! And it also says to put the 2 small plastic shock spacers from the kit sprues on the shock shaft above the eyelet. This must to keep the shock piston from hitting the top of the inside of the shock. So there you go. I reckon those DF03 dampers have to be a winner. CVA style so less faff than aeration dampers and under £50 a set if you are willing to wait on shipping from Japan.