Grastens

Tamiya 58655 - Citroën 2CV Charleston (M-05)

I am not sure how much excitement there may be for this new car, but I see a whole lot of possibilities for the shell:

2cv4x44.jpg

9888302cvdragster.jpg

2cv_racing_snetterton.jpg

aqua_1.jpg

Any takers for this one? The 1:1 Citroen 2CV was the basis for a lot of, uh, inspired works:

citroen-2cv-sedan-red-andy-saunders-1200

While the Tamiya release is quite likely to be a polycarbonate-bodied version, I am wondering if anybody else might be inspired by its appearance in the new releases list.

Edit: Now paging @JennyMo and @IBIFTKH:

ente1.jpg

• Like 8

I used to have a 2cv hotrod, with alloy wheels on a tl01 chassis! 🖒 

• Like 3

I am rather pleased with this release, especially since it comes on a chassis with the drive at the correct end. I hope the boot is big enough to accommodate the rear mounted motor of the MF-01X so that we can also model the 4WD full-size option. I also really hope that some clever company comes up with a moulded canopy affair for the rear to allow the easy creation of a fourgonnette.

• Like 3

Yikes, that "Picasso" one really messes with your perception...

I've had plans to build a Méhari (2CV-based utility vehicle, sort of like a French Mini Moke) from scratch for a while now, using Tamtech Gear driveline pieces and 4 front wheels... this announcement makes me want to bump it to the front of the build queue.

I mean, look at this thing:

Citroen-Mehsri-230471042_4.jpg?VersionId

How can you not love Citroëns?

• Like 1

I'll never forget seeing a 2CV Dolly burst into flames on a Motorway once, occupants were all OK all they could do was sit on the side of the road & watch it go up :huh: . Apparently a common problem.

My Dads Renault did the same after some wiring shorted rubbing against the radiator. Must be a French build thing.

If you do do something maybe an Inspector Clouseau character as a driver would be fun :). Oh yeah and you might want to fit a fire extinguisher too.

• Like 2

On 26 January 2018 at 9:19 PM, TurnipJF said:

I am rather pleased with this release, especially since it comes on a chassis with the drive at the correct end. I hope the boot is big enough to accommodate the rear mounted motor of the MF-01X so that we can also model the 4WD full-size option. I also really hope that some clever company comes up with a moulded canopy affair for the rear to allow the easy creation of a fourgonnette.

If I remember rightly, didn't Citroen actually make a twin engine [ie. 4wd] 2CV at one point?

That must have been a thing to drive in the time before electronic throttle balancing and traction control! (it would even have been before EFi I think!)

Over to you, nerds...

Jx

edit. ah, I presume this is was what you meant Turnip: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/classic/rare-twin-engined-four-wheel-drive-citroen-2cv-goes-hammer/

• Like 1

Try the one with the body on backwards

on at about 3:20. It got banned on the motorways if I remember for causing accidents from people looking at it

I just remembered where I've seen it. I've seen it in an old animated movie.  

I think it's a really famous one in Japan. I'm sure somebody will build a pink one with a runaway bride in it.  

• Like 1

I will be tremendously mistaken if that is not Lupin the Third :D

It will also be a mistake (but a lesser one) if this Citroen release does not get its own race class somewhere:

Citroen-2CV-racing_3168224b.jpg

• Like 2

It is Lupin the Third, Castle of Cagliostro.  I'm impressed, Grastens.  

He is a very distinctive-looking character, for sure!

Speaking of distinctive, I hope it is possible to blend cuts cleanly on polycarbonate:

Semi_Citro%C3%ABn_2CV.jpg

• Like 3

I am not ashamed to say that I have never seen that before!  impressed again!  Was the original engine that small?  

(hmm...  why do I want to go for a banana all of a sudden?)

7 hours ago, Grastens said:

I will be tremendously mistaken if that is not Lupin the Third :D

It will also be a mistake (but a lesser one) if this Citroen release does not get its own race class somewhere:

Citroen-2CV-racing_3168224b.jpg

...With 380 motors required, for "realistic" performance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, markbt73 said:

...With 380 motors required, for "realistic" performance.

Cant believe Demon Tweeks put their name on that 2CV!

In the 1:1 cars, there is an adapter plate that allows you to fit a BMW motorcycle boxer engine. Those things shift pretty well. The U.K. 2cv races require you to use original engine and gearbox. Would love to have a go.

I think it’s great Tamiya are releasing the 2CV, we already have the Beetle, mini and Fiat 500. Now the ‘people’s car’ lineup is complete.

I was quite surprised to see this in Tamiya's new release lineup.  I know the car has a bit of a following among collectors in Europe but didn't expect to see an RC version of it from a company like Tamiya.

Maybe they're trying to get back their M-chassis classic market share that they lost when they lost Mini licencing?

I'll be keen to see what it looks like when it comes along but doubt it'll be on my list.  I hate 2CVs even more than I hate Morris Minors.

Anecdote

Many years ago now I was sat next to a friend waiting for a school lesson to start.  He was reading a book.  He looked at me and said "Citron.  That means lemon, right?  In French?"

"Yes." I said.  "Pretty sure citron is lemon."

He gave his book a confused look.  "So...  What's a lemon two-horse?"

I had to point out that Citroen Deux Chevaux was a rather silly car driven by ladies with crazy hair and geography teachers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 28 January 2018 at 6:20 PM, Grastens said:

He is a very distinctive-looking character, for sure!

Speaking of distinctive, I hope it is possible to blend cuts cleanly on polycarbonate:

Semi_Citro%C3%ABn_2CV.jpg

Ha! - mounted sideways on a WR-02 chassis ;o)

Jx

Agreed! Good work for polycarbonate. It also looks fine with those tires, @HornetRacer 1971 ;)

(just teasing - even I think it would look even better with tires half that width, which should be attainable)

Seeing it next to the Rally Beetle, I have to wonder how many times we will see the Citroen shell, i.e. how many versions will Tamiya release? I could see a rally version - or even a Black Metallic Edition :P

... Is it too early to talk about a Kumamon Edition yet?

• Like 1