Baddon

Thundershot, Terra Scorcher, Fire Dragon & ThunderDragon re-builds

so the finished shell.

2018-12-31_11-16-33

This one has fought me the whole way....the main THUNDER SHOT sticker on this side was masked and still managed to lay down not straight.

2018-12-31_11-16-53

Next to attempt to repair that hole in the blue at the top of the canopy. Below is result. ITs not great but better than it was.

20181231_112449

Also the front of the canopy where the blue met the white was all over the place so masked of a line and used marker to match the lines round canopy edge. This bit at least went right first time.

20181231_112525

• Like 1

on the buggy

2018-12-31_11-50-37

and in the display case, my two original cars from aprox 30 years ago with new shells.

2018-12-31_11-57-27

THATS IT FROM ME, 

I HAVE HAD ENOUGH

I WONT TOUCH ANOTHER BUGGY 

TILL NEXT YEAR!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Very cool looking shell and worth the effort. It looks like it would have been easier if tamiya had made the white line between the red and blue as a decal to cover the joint.

• Thanks 1

I have ordered the Tamiya Polycarb cleaner. So I cant tidy up the canopy properly.

I also removed the window masks from the last 3 to do and only one needs a bit of effort.

I also added my old Midnight pumpkin to the display case. I have a notion of a Luncbox and have been watching for a 2nd hand, BUT the shell is ALWAYS mangled. They are so cheap new I might just bight the bullet and then I get to build it. I will then have the matching pair of the LunchBox and Pumpkin.

20181231_175042

Going to run out of shelf space soon ( I have already bought another MadCap to transform into a Saint Dragon.....erm need another display case....lol and the slope gets steeper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Baddon said:

I have a notion of a Luncbox and have been watching for a 2nd hand, BUT the shell is ALWAYS mangled. They are so cheap new I might just bight the bullet and then I get to build it.

I have already bought another MadCap to transform into a Saint Dragon.....erm need another display case....lol and the slope gets steeper.

1) Buy the Lunchie kit and do a build thread... I can use it as a base to spur me on to build mine.

2) Darned, I bought a TBG Saint Dragon shell and MCI decals to fit on to a Thundershot rolling chassis... now I recently learn that SD shell was meant for a Madcap chassis... off the top of your head do you know if it can still work?

13 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

1) Buy the Lunchie kit and do a build thread... I can use it as a base to spur me on to build mine.

2) Darned, I bought a TBG Saint Dragon shell and MCI decals to fit on to a Thundershot rolling chassis... now I recently learn that SD shell was meant for a Madcap chassis... off the top of your head do you know if it can still work?

1- lol, get of your ......... and do it

2..... mmmm let me check.  see photo....It might with a bit of work look ok as its much longer at the back than the MadCap and the front body mount is for a Fire Dragon and can be changed to straight up or facing backwards.

2018-12-31_06-12-08

see for yourself.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Baddon said:

1- lol, get of your ......... and do it

2..... mmmm let me check.  see photo....It might with a bit of work look ok as its much longer at the back than the MadCap and the front body mount is for a Fire Dragon and can be changed to straight up or facing backwards.

2018-12-31_06-12-08

see for yourself.

1) Touche

2) thanks it might work! It’s simply a case of prioritising this now ahead of x y and z ;)

@Jason1145 I think the Saint Dragon might work. Its longer at the back with no wing unlike the Madcap. The Super Dragon is similar and I definitely saw that body on a Thundershot chassis. Worth noting it also fits the Grasshopper2 and Rising Fighter too.

@BaddonThey look fantastic. Top work. As I am currently in the paint/mask dungeon in my SCT body I empathise. You have done a great job. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wanted to do a dash 1 repro shell but also wanted the extra parts to make it look like an original. To my amazement there aren't any 3D printed parts out there :(

4 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@Jason1145 I think the Saint Dragon might work. Its longer at the back with no wing unlike the Madcap. The Super Dragon is similar and I definitely saw that body on a Thundershot chassis. Worth noting it also fits the Grasshopper2 and Rising Fighter too.

It will also fit a MadBull as well then as it uses a Grasshopper 2 body.

4 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@Baddon PS that Thunder Dragon needs black wheels. IMHO. 

You never know what it will end up with as its not finished yet!!

3 hours ago, mman2005 said:

I wanted to do a dash 1 repro shell but also wanted the extra parts to make it look like an original. To my amazement there aren't any 3D printed parts out there :(

What extra parts are needed?

I thought the Dash 1 from TBG was a straight drop onto the Thunder Series?

the proper dash 1 1/10 bodyshell has conical front spot lights, frp rear bodymount support with two plastic bodymounts screwed to it, the repo one doesnt need the rear supports etc but you have to use normal spot lights because no one has replicated them yet

30 minutes ago, taffer said:

the proper dash 1 1/10 bodyshell has conical front spot lights, frp rear bodymount support with two plastic bodymounts screwed to it, the repo one doesnt need the rear supports etc but you have to use normal spot lights because no one has replicated them yet

Yeah I was amazed no one had even created an option on shapeways.  I'm guessing you can still use the TBG shell with the mounts? I did ask around on here if anyone could send measurements so I could create some but never got any responses.

as far as im aware, the tbg shell uses the existing tshot body mounts

TBG will copy any part that you can supply them. As the Thundershot chassis cover was not available I sent them one  I had new and un-used, so they can add it to their shop.

They only make moulds a few times a year so its not a quick process.

SO if anyone has the originals  and is prepared to do without one they can be cloned.

OK, back to work on these. Which to do next??

Fire Dragon (cause it looks most straightforward and has least number of decals!)

All ready, time to get the film off and see what that red looks like

Fire dragon

Pretty happy with this one (thank F*$k as its the same colour as the Terra Scorcher -the ONLY one I am doing NON Box Art colour)

now to cut out the decals.

Fire dragon

done

Fire dragon

Decals on.

Fire dragonFire dragon

ALL the black vents I did in maker as the decals will only flake in time IF I can get them on even half right in the first place!

Fire dragon

and the car, a Terra Scorcher (fully restored with new ESC and a Sport tuned motor). NOTE it is missing the rear roll bar BUT reckon thee should be one in that box of goodies that eventually turned up about a month ago, so can add in later.

20190102_174231

Body on

20190102_174650

20190102_174706

20190102_174716

and back to the display case.

20190102_174827

Two left to do, the Thunder Dragon & my red Terra Scorcher, the car that sort of started all this collection malarkey off.

• Like 1

It needs a driver....let see what I have about

Head only with no top screw hole....eBay....EBAY......ordered.

• Haha 1

Fire dragon looks really good, will be better once the driver appears too 😎 

• Thanks 1

@Baddon That Fire Dragon looks brilliant! Makes me tempted to get a shell for my Thunder Dragon to occasionally swap. Don't worry about that rear roll bar if you are running it. The front end doesn't need any more help creating oversteer! 

• Thanks 1

@ThunderDragonCy- this one should make you smile along with the parts I posted this am!

20190104_094342

Another bit of paint over spray in need of the Polycarbonate cleaner that is on the way- see canopy.

20190104_094448

Cut all the decals out after doing the bottom of the canopy. It was straight forward.......see what I did there? as nearly ALL the cuts were straight lines.

20190104_104614

Done

20190104_120527

on the car, still needs a driver and chassis cover (waiting on 4 from TBG as they got an original from me months ago to copy)

20190104_122144

Man that's a good looking buggy....

This one still needs to be rebuilt/refurbed. Yes its a Terra again.

20190104_122157

and back into the display case. ONE TO GO....

20190104_122231

• Like 2

Have any of you guys/gals used the optional hop up long cva shock set on this chassis? If so, did it make any difference?  

ok this is the one that started it all off, when I restored the red one last year and the original owner than bough it back off me.

SO i just had to do anther, in the same red as LOVED the colour, so here it is Decals this am.

20190105_094828

and in the red

20190105_095010

cut them all out before sticking anything on

20190105_104653

and once on

20190105_120220

and on the buggy. 

20190105_121814

20190105_12182720190105_121832

and the series in the display. needs 4 new chassis covers, all need drivers. 2 new sites of wheels and tires on way and two cars for a total rebuild as well.

20190105_125438

• Like 1