Kingfisher

Bodies VS. Chassis - How many bodies that need a chassis

A question from my girlfriend based on how many extra bodies I have. How many Bodies do you have that don't have a chassis to accompany them. I have a few spare bodies, and alternate bodies that are meant for the same chassis'. She believes that every body should have a chassis. Do you agree or disagree?

9 minutes ago, Kingfisher said:

A question from my girlfriend based on how many extra bodies I have.

"None" :wub:

You only need one... hers. :ph34r:

Don't go fishing for a spare, it just causes more trouble than it's worth.

Learn her on quid pro quo, you don't ask what oddities she hoards, she don't ask what toy habits you've got... and Kingdom reigns in peace -_-

As for RC bodysets... dunno, no idea how many.

They're just stacked to the ceiling & beyond, in 3 rough areas... 

1. Unused spares (of what's already on existing cars)
  2. unused for future projects, in various states of accumulation progress
  3. WiP (trimmed, some masked) awaiting paint supplies, inspiration, good time/weather for painting

and floating in between piles would be

• shells retired from use
  • shells whose intended cars have since gone, now awaiting repurposing
  • shells acquired on impulse... :) 
  • shells others have given me, no idea what they're for

I'm also very good at stacking them like Russian dolls :D and can get 4-5 into the space of 1 kitbox, so that helps the space issue a bit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back in the day, I used to have two bodies for one chassis since Tamiya had several models based on the same chassis..  I had the Frog and I purchased the Brat body (and wheels).  I had the Grasshopper and purchased the Hornet body...  Granted, my Fox only ever had one (not sure if there were ever other bodies that fit).

If I had a racing vehicle (which I will eventually), I'll likely have at least two bodies.  Mainly just to make sure I don't have a hard time tracking my car car (I'm getting old!).  ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kingfisher said:

She believes that every body should have a chassis.

Sounds to me like you've just been given permission to spend all your money and time on chassis kits.  ;)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I'm with Mahjik here. 

If your chassis has an alternate identity, why not?  My grasshopper is too beat up, but if it were nicer, I'd have a hornet shell. (On second thought, I might still get it).  My Midnight Pumpkin has Lunch Box.  Wild Dagger has too many split personalities, so I might use something else entirely, like a Bronco body.  I don't think that was my initial intent. But I forgot what I bought Bronco shell for.  I might want a Frog shell for my Brat chassis.   

"Dressing up" is part of fun.  I'm sure your girlfriend wears more than one outfit.  Ask her if she should stick with one set of outfit.  This is how men play dress ups with men toys.  ;)  uh... but don't creep her out by naming your cars with girls' names.  

• Haha 1

I only have 1 body per car, except my old race car from the 90s which has the beat up Volvo 850 from racing and shelf Porsche 993 Turbo. Actually I have 2 for the Lazer too, but only because the previous owner messed up the paint on the first shell so bought a new one, and I got them both. Oh wait, my TA07 cos I bought thr wrong one to start with...

I don't have a onroad car that i could buy all the scale bodies of real cars I can't afford, but if I did have the chassis I would probably buy a few bodies for it.

This is the age old problem... it’s cheaper to buy a new body for an existing chassis to get the new look... but then the new body looks so good once done it’s a shame to leave it sat in a box... so you need a chassis to rest it on.

Ive just bought a TT01E Lamborghini RTR and it looks ace, but now I’ve gone and bought a La Ferrari shell to compliment it... however this means I’m going to HAVE buy another TT01E chassis ( from a TC member) to sit it on.... despite already having multiple unpainted shells all waiting for a chance to adourn a chassis at some point...it never ends ;) 

Ultimately I will have more shells than chassis though, as there are too many cars I like the look of and simply can’t keep up with the chassis purchase costs ( he thinks).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I generally have one chassis per body, but having sold my WR-02 chassis and Lancia body, I now have a WR-02 body and a Lancia chassis... which still puts the ratio of bodies to chassis at 1:1.

The only reason I do it this way is because I generally do not acquire more than one example of one kind of chassis, so each chassis in my collection is unique and thus requires a unique body. This would change if collected more chassis with greater body compatibility, like touring cars. With more touring or F1 cars, I am sure I would have more shells than chassis over time, keeping the platforms I prefer and moving the others on while hanging onto the shells.

However, if I had more than one of the same chassis, I am also more likely to have that second and subsequent chassis in parts, to serve as spares for the one runner. As it stands now, though, I keep a ratio of 1:1.

Edit: I have two unfinished body shells as spares, a complete shell for a chassis I no longer use for that purpose (extended WR-02)... and parts for two complete chassis, as spares. Having extra shell parts for repairing/redoing bodies seems to be the thing for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blista said:

Sounds to me like you've just been given permission to spend all your money and time on chassis kits.  ;)

+1 for that, strike while the irons hot go nuts :D

I'm have a Buggy Champ and Scorcher body but only one SRB Chassis. I'm thinking I need another chassis sometime but it's whether I go something Street Scorcher or try & find another SRB? You sometimes feel you have unleashed a monster with this hobby  :ph34r:

• Like 1

I spend a lot of time and effort getting each chassis just as I want it and like them to be ESC’d and receivered up, so I typically only have one chassis of eaxh type.

But I have a Fighting Buggy and Scorcher shell for my SRB, a Monster Beatle and Blackfoot shell (with a Brat / Mud Blaster on the way) for my big tired ORV, and a Mountaineer and a Bruiser body for my 3-speed.

The only 1:1 chassis to shell I have is a beefed-up ORV to go with Grastens’ Lancia body! (It looks awesome by the way Evan!)

• Thanks 1

My Wife has the opposite view, and has suggested that I should buy more bodies instead of complete RC's because, Quote, "I can't ##### move in here anymore" :D

At least she hasn't suggested I should sell some ................Yet   :wacko:

• Haha 2

I think every chassis should have two bodies. One for running and one for display.

If I ever do a great job on a shell, I'd feel reluctant to run it, and when/if I do run it, it would be very gently. The chassis wouldn't get to be used at its full potential.

However with a second shell kept pristine for display, I wouldn't be worried about running the other one, and would thus be able to enjoy the chassis, confident that any chassis damage can be repaired with replacement parts - something that is seldom possible with a shell.

i always buy more shells than i got chassis to mount them on 

i have around 7 for my tt-01 

i brought one last year that i wanted to display then ended up buying a zac speed capri tt-02 kit with out esc  just to display it then last week i brought another shell to go on that so atm i have 3 for the tt-02 . ibrought  my rough rider that a shelf queen but i brought a complete shell kit for that knowing i wont ever use it. again i have 2 shells for my lunchbox that i never use. i have a new original shell for my revo that i dont use anymore oh and a spare shell for my stadium blitzer. and at the momment i am in the process of putting together a complete shell for my grand hauler.

i buy a shell if i like it and worry about what i'm gonna mount it on later:D

• Like 3

7 hours ago, njmlondon said:

The only 1:1 chassis to shell I have is a beefed-up ORV to go with Grastens’ Lancia body! (It looks awesome by the way Evan!)

You know, I have not seen it in a while ;)

That also reminds me that I have another shell to add... However, the ratio of finished shells to chassis is 1:1.

• Like 1

My issue is with hard bodies.I tend to buy everyone i run across.  Not sure how many but i can tell you I found a deal on Super Hornet bodies many years ago and bought everything the guy had in stock.  Recently did the same thing with Bearhawk, GH2, GH1 and Sand scorcher bodies.  There must be a dozen Pajero wide, Pumpkin and Lunch Box bodies. 

I'd say I have 4 to 5 times as many bodies as I do cars. 

• Thanks 1

On 29/01/2018 at 3:09 AM, Blista said:

That’s what I also thought....

• Like 1

I’m a noob and recently bought an Avante. Even before finishing it, I got hold of another shell (and wheels and decals) to make a black special. And a third shell just arrived, for a more bespoke look.

Project is a shelfer, so i’ll need to find some way to display it with the optional shell and wheel sets nearby, ready for a quick switcheroo. Anyone got experience of displaying a set up like that? Love to hear/see about nice options to make a cool looking display.

So the short answer is: 1 chassis, 3 bodies.

• Like 1

Just had a quick count up & I'm running a 3:1 ratio on bodies to chassis, they are all hard bodies though (as if that makes it any better?!) 😬

• Like 2

I have a modest collection of 3 chassis with up to 3 bodies per chassis - best way to get a bit of variety into my collection:

DT02 = Violet Fighter with Super fighter GR & Sand Viper shells. ORV = Monster Beetle & I plan to get a BlackFoot body. Blitzer = Standard Orange Blitzer Beetle & Fully Black Beetle, and I plan to get a Stadium shell.

Don't even get started on wheels and tyres!!

• Like 1

On 1/28/2018 at 9:09 PM, Blista said:

:lol: Sort of the other way around. Thanks to all of the replies in this thread and my body collection, I've now been able to convince her to get her own M-chassis as well as a touring car. 

On 1/28/2018 at 7:56 PM, WillyChang said:

Don't go fishing for a spare, it just causes more trouble than it's worth.

Learn her on quid pro quo, you don't ask what oddities she hoards, she don't ask what toy habits you've got... and Kingdom reigns in peace -_-

I'm also very good at stacking them like Russian dolls :D and can get 4-5 into the space of 1 kitbox, so that helps the space issue a bit. 

Too late. I already have spares. It gives me the confidence of knowing that next jump isn't too high. :)

We build and run them together, so her train of thought is that all of these extra bodies we have means more cars she can run if only they were all completed. I already know that she is a shoe collector/hoarder. I save that one for when she starts saying things like "there's too many, time to get rid of some". Mention getting rid of her shoes and she changes the entire subject.

Example:

• Her: You have too many tools. Maybe you should sell som....
  • Me: You have too many shoes.
  • Her: I'm going to go water the plants. :lol:

I've got 5 bodies stacked on a top shelf like Russian dolls. For the last few months, she thought there was just one body there. 

On 1/28/2018 at 11:17 PM, Juggular said:

;)  uh... but don't creep her out by naming your cars with girls' names.  

Too late for that. She's already named them. 

On 1/28/2018 at 11:56 PM, Jason1145 said:

it’s cheaper to buy a new body for an existing chassis to get the new look... but then the new body looks so good once done it’s a shame to leave it sat in a box... so you need a chassis to rest it on.

I'm at the first part, and she's stuck on the 2nd part of what you said. I collect the bodies for a new look, she wants them all to be ready to run.

On 1/29/2018 at 1:38 AM, Re-Bugged said:

You sometimes feel you have unleashed a monster with this hobby  :ph34r:

Oh for sure. There was a camera lens I was wanting, but kept putting off the purchase due to the price. I could have gotten two of those lenses by now. The monster has been unleashed. :lol:

On 1/29/2018 at 5:09 AM, Only4Fun said:

At least she hasn't suggested I should sell some ................Yet   :wacko:

:lol: If she collects shoes, that's your silver bullet. Works every time. 

On 1/29/2018 at 6:23 AM, TurnipJF said:

I think every chassis should have two bodies. One for running and one for display.

If I ever do a great job on a shell, I'd feel reluctant to run it, and when/if I do run it, it would be very gently. The chassis wouldn't get to be used at its full potential.

However with a second shell kept pristine for display, I wouldn't be worried about running the other one, and would thus be able to enjoy the chassis, confident that any chassis damage can be repaired with replacement parts - something that is seldom possible with a shell.

That's exactly the way I feel. Thanks.

On 1/31/2018 at 10:51 AM, paullyjay said:

Don't even get started on wheels and tyres!!

:lol: She found my wheel / tire collection recently and instantly started pulling them all out to see what car she could fit what tire onto. At one point, I found the Lunchbox with M-chassis wheels slid onto the front axles. 

--------

Thanks for all of the responses. She's read all of them and now has a better understanding of why there's no chassis' to go with the extra bodies. 

• Like 2

A whole lot of justifying going on in this thread. I’ve found it’s easier to let go of the wife and get a Girlfriend 2.0 who has no say on how many bodies you have cause it’s your house and you can have in it what you want.   

Kind of a timely thread as I just spent the last weekend organizing my boxes of bodies. 

2E013246-BB52-4C33-A77C-38446F12C184_zps

This is one of 5 big cardboard boxes of bodies. I plan to eventually paint some of these bodies. I’ve collected many bodies from series of cars I like that way I can have multiple bodies for a chassis.  I’m thinking a race version and a street version of my favorites. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Shodog said:

A whole lot of justifying going on in this thread. I’ve found it’s easier to let go of the wife and get a Girlfriend 2.0 who has no say on how many bodies you have cause it’s your house and you can have in it what you want.   

I skipped the wife life and went straight to Girlfriend 2.0 many years ago. Neither of us have ever been married or had children. Maybe I am her Boyfriend 2.0? No need to justify purchases. No shared bank accounts. My money is mine, and hers is hers. Neither of us know what's in the others bank account, and neither of us care. I own the house, and she insists on paying half the bills and groceries. It works out great. But, we live together and share the same hobby with different points of view in said hobby, which is where my original question came from. I have six bodies that fit a TT02 and only two TT02's to put them on. Her thinking is why not have six TT02's? 

On 1/28/2018 at 7:34 PM, Kingfisher said:

She believes that every body should have a chassis. 

I've been on a body, vintage kit and parts collecting binge. I've decided specific bodies get specific chassis builds, some chassis get multiple bodies based on wheelbase and rear width. The bodies and sticker sets will also serve as basis for designing different livery graphic sets. I've been too spread out lately designing and building RC hydroplanes, scale sailplanes — time to go back to my roots and focus on cars — wife agrees to stay focused, but thinks all my hobby stuff is too much.

Audi R8 24 hr Nurburgring Nr. 99
Chassis - TB-02R tribute (TB-02 kit, with all the necessary TB-02R bits - carbon battery plate, front brace, SSG bottom plate, EVO.III diffs, EVO.IV gears AND long TG10 wide rear axles to fill the 257mm Audi R8 wheelbase and W I D E rear end).

BMW E30 M3
Carisma Audi urquattro A2
- tarmac spec
Mercedes-Benz SLS GT3 - new livery design sticker sets in design stage
Chassis - TT-02R tribute (TT-02 kit from below Porsche RSR, swapped to 257mm wheelbase and normal rear width with some necessary R bits). Might be my new TCS GT Pro Spec race unit? Last time I was in a TCS race was with my TA-01 Mercedes 190E EVO and in 1994.

Porsche 911 GT3 Cup - new livery design sticker sets in design stage
Porsche 911 Carrera RSR 1973 targa florio
Chassis - TT-01R tribute (TT-01 Type-E kit with some necessary R bits, 251mm WB, wide rear).

Porsche 934s - new livery design sticker set designed
Chassis - GT-01 (GT-01R tribute - building with some options and 1977 Tour de France rallye spec Porsche Almeras livery). Multiple different M-Spec size rims.

Carisma Porsche 959 1/8 scale - it's my ice racing runner, need a spare body!

• Like 1