Sign in to follow this  
steelo

Compatible diffs that work in Sand Scorcher

Please help!

Does anybody know if there are any compatible differentials that would work in the Sand Scorcher....maybe one that's from another Tamiya kit? I know Tamiya was releasing them for a limited time. However, they now sell for $100 USD on eby…I’ve also read on here that one can make their own diff but I don’t believe I have the tools, skills or patience to do that. I drove my Scorcher on tarmac yesterday and it was just about undriveable with street tires. I could not go over 5mph and turn without it making a dramatic roll over. It’s kind of strange because I ran it about a week ago on the same pavement and it did okay… I’d like to keep it the way it is because it looks like a street rod, but I’d like it to be driveable

Sorry steelo, I wish MIP made ball diffs for Sand Scorcher...  I thought they would, after ORV, but no...

When tires are new, they have de-molding oil. They could slide a little.  As the shiny rubber surface wears down, the tires could become grippier.  Perhaps you can rub a tiny drop of olive oil and rub it in your palms and then rub some on rear tires.  ---Too much will make them drifting tires---  A very thin film could make them less grippy and maybe you can run like a week ago.   

• Like 1

Diff won't change it from traction rolling to hugging the road :) 

How is your rear suspension set, is it still stuck at max ride height? Are the rear tyres only running on outer edge?

"Chicken-wing" suspension design, just like on 1:1 Beetle... go around a corner too fast it'll tuck in the inside wheel and over it'll go <_< but don't feel alone, much fancier cars like Merc SL "pagoda" can do the same too!

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I will try the olive oil and 'squashing' the suspension before I run so it isn't running on the outer edge of the tires.

As far as the suspension, I’m using the stock shocks with RC4WD internal springs and heavier weight oil. The rear is still pretty soft but I think the front may be set up too stiff as it's using the torsion springs and the modified shocks. I may try raising the upper shock mount in the rear somehow which should eliminate the ridiculous (chicken wing) camber of the rear wheels...

• Like 1

This is perhaps sacrilegious, but I always figured that when I finally purchase a Sand Scorcher, I'd swap out the rear transmission and a-arm setup for a Kyosho Scorpion re-re tranny/trailing arm setup or a RC10 tranny with Dual Sport rear arms. That's me though, I don't have a problem mixing and matching, while keeping things relatively scale. I know a lot of TC members don't like mixing brands on Tamiya custom projects, but sometimes it's the best solution IMHO to improve performance without spending an arm and a leg.

Steve

• Like 2

Over the weekend, I played around with the rear suspension to improve the ridiculous ‘chicken wing’ stance of the rear suspension. I ended up moving up the rear upper suspension mounts up about ½”, which created negative camber on the rear wheels. This seemed to work pretty well and the car was MUCH more stable turning. On turns, the rear just skipped with the lack of a rear diff but no rollovers. Of course, it was pretty cold outside so the tires may not have been gripping as well. I had to grind down the nubs on the mount and tighten the mount down more than I would like so they wouldn’t slide down the bar. This, of course further limits the suspension travel but since this is primarily going to be a parking lot ‘hot rod’, it should hopefully be alright.

• Like 1

On 2 February 2018 at 4:05 AM, pastimesteve said:

This is perhaps sacrilegious, but I always figured that when I finally purchase a Sand Scorcher, I'd swap out the rear transmission and a-arm setup for a Kyosho Scorpion re-re tranny/trailing arm setup or a RC10 tranny with Dual Sport rear arms. That's me though, I don't have a problem mixing and matching, while keeping things relatively scale. I know a lot of TC members don't like mixing brands on Tamiya custom projects, but sometimes it's the best solution IMHO to improve performance without spending an arm and a leg.

What's the point of taking the trouble to dice & splice?

The Kyosho front end is far superior too... just graft over the shell :lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, WillyChang said:

What's the point of taking the trouble to dice & splice?

The Kyosho front end is far superior too... just graft over the shell :lol:

Hi! It's all perspective. I think the dicing and splicing is part of the fun. Anyway, you make an excellent point and I agree the Kyosho front end is superior to the stock Scorcher front, but also gives a wider track (I think?).  So, if you're wanting to keep things sort-of scale, it would probably make sense to leave the front Scorcher suspension stock?

• Like 1