unixphreak

possible replacements for gallop/progress final pinion gear.

was wondering if anyone has been able to find or has used anything to replace the original aluminum final opinion on a Kyosho Gallop or Progress. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know much about that gearbox, but in my Optima, long before the re-re, I used a 32 pitch steel pinion with a 5mm hole, made for big 1/8 scale brushless buggies. All I had to do was add an old 5x8mm bushing to the shaft to take up slack. You can probably do something similar with the Gallop; just count the teeth and play around with spacers until it meshes right.

Has this issue been sorted?

I have recently picked up a completely original Gallop if you'd like me to check something for you? 

just need to find a source of pinions to replace my worn out aluminum one. guess 5 mm is not the shaft size. BTW nice find!!!!

On 1/31/2018 at 9:44 PM, unixphreak said:

was wondering if anyone has been able to find or has used anything to replace the original aluminum final opinion on a Kyosho Gallop or Progress. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Hello. The counter gear shaft is 4mm. It's worth investigating kyosho part number 90677.

It's available in 3 sizes, 14t, 16t, and 18t. You can check it out in ebay. 

20180525_224433.png

Argh, it's a 4mm shaft? Wow, I don't know what to suggest.

Unless... maybe you could find a sleeve to fit over the shaft to bump it up to 5mm diameter?

Also, looking at that drawing, does the Progress/Gallop's chain run backwards, like the Rocky? I've never seen one in person before.

On 6/8/2018 at 3:33 AM, unixphreak said:

too bad the original pinion is 17 tooth.

Umm. Maybe enlarging the hole of a 3mm 17t pinion to 4mm will work.