Man1c M0nk3y

Top Force 2017 Dampers

On 5/18/2018 at 8:52 AM, ThunderDragonCy said:

Had a browse on this over lunchtime and managed to find the Manta Ray 2018 manual. The way you get the 53926 DF03 dampers to fit a DF01 is to add the long eyelet. The stock damper are 75mm eye to eye and have a short end eyelet. The new manual tells you to replace this with part V6 from the kit (the long CVA shock eyelet). This is 7mm longer than the short version. So now you are up to 82mm eye-to-eye. Then it says to leave out the 0-ring from the inside so now you have a DF03 front shock which is 85mm eye to eye, comapred to 87mm for the kit Top Force/Manta Ray shocks. Close enough! And it also says to put the 2 small plastic shock spacers from the kit sprues on the shock shaft above the eyelet. This must to keep the shock piston from hitting the top of the inside of the shock. So there you go. I reckon those DF03 dampers have to be a winner. CVA style so less faff than aeration dampers and under £50 a set if you are willing to wait on shipping from Japan.

got my 53926 df03 shocks today. was looking over the manuals for the manta ray/top force and it shows the stock rear shocks don't have a spacer above eyelet. with the df03 shocks you only get 4 blue aluminum spacers and it shows to add one spacer above each eyelet. for df01 front shocks you use 2 blue spacers above each eyelet,  leave out the o-ring and use v6. Do I build the df03 rear shocks according to manual and need 1 spacer for each rear shock eyelet from tamiya 5.5 53539 spacer set?

shocks manta.png

df03 shocks.png

@MICHAELs TopForce17 I don't think you necessarily need to get the ano spacer set just for two spacers. There are small and large shaft spacers on the shock sprues so I would try those. Not really sure way leaving  spacer out would be an issue though.

Four pages, FOUR(!) and not one picture??!! Come on guys let's see those rere hicaps and others. I'm restoring my childhood Top Force (AGAIN!!). Just ordered the TRF shocks for it. I'll post pictures when they arrive. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GTodd said:

Four pages, FOUR(!) and not one picture??!! Come on guys let's see those rere hicaps and others. I'm restoring my childhood Top Force (AGAIN!!). Just ordered the TRF shocks for it. I'll post pictures when they arrive. 

Here they are:

C7D3D515-3FC9-43DD-97AE-41FDD7A66283.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice!!!!! Are those real EVO wheels? If not what dye did you use?

1 hour ago, Klausen said:

Here they are:

C7D3D515-3FC9-43DD-97AE-41FDD7A66283.jpeg

6 hours ago, GTodd said:

Nice!!!!! Are those real EVO wheels? If not what dye did you use?

They are the white wheels from the kit. Primed with Tamiya white primer and painted with red Tamiya TS8 Italian red.

• Like 1

I forgot to take pictures, ha.  Here are the TRF dampers on my TF, which I still haven't finished or run yet (really should do!).

The wheels have a bit too much offset really, but they'll do for on-road running  :)

(Obviously it won't have the standard silver can motor in it when it's finished ;)

IMG_20180924_152843.jpg

Edited by legooolas
Add mention of silver can :)
  • Like 5

On 2/6/2018 at 12:47 AM, Juls1 said:

Granted the V2 cva dampers are very good, I I have a number of buggy’s I prefer them for. (again much better than the V1 jobs included with the top force.) 

there is still a few hicaps about

https://m.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Tamiya-47358-Hicap-Damper-Set-egress-top-force-manta-ray-astute-Free-Ship/132310137545?epid=2212851144&hash=item1ece4c7ac9:g:pZcAAOSwd7BZpFY6

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-Top-Force-2017-High-Capacity-Damper-Set-4Pcs-Manta-Ray-DF01-HiCap-47358/202207753712?epid=5009796397&hash=item2f148575f0:g:TQIAAOSw9tJabkWG

you won’t find them cheap anymore but still,  it’s gotta be way better than buying 2 packets of DF03 shocks. 

The Hi caps are firstly alloy, the second gen variants are different to the originals and don’t suffer from the inside of the damper walls turning into powder in your oil.

The damper body is very stiff meaning they stay silky smooth even under stress. The cva shock body’s can flex and cause binding. The hi cap body contains much much more oil than a typical v1 or v2 CVA damper, probably about 50% more if I was having a guess. The damper pistons are physically bigger, don’t loose them your other tamiya pistons won’t fit!! 

The hicaps are probably my favorite tamiya damper, but the wider springs required and odd fitting parts make them a option for period only kits. 

If it was a df03 I’d be saying but the df03 shocks. I’ve used so many pairs of shocks of all kinds of brands and tamiyas alloy dampers are consistently the best option for tamiya vehicles. Hpi, traxxas and kyosho all make very good alloy dampers too but we are mostly tamiya nutcases here surely we can only use tamiya dampers that are somewhat specific to the particular model right? 

2 packs of 50520 cva short v2 are a very solid choice, they work very well and are really all you need.

But... the hicaps are still smoother and more consistent, I really don’t think you’d be disappointed if you bought them. they are just really nice. (Although I’m not a fan of the springs they come with, personal preference).

Juls

hi ,

why do you need to buy 2 sets of df 03 sets? 

2 minutes ago, trexfan said:

hi ,

why do you need to buy 2 sets of df 03 sets? 

FB_IMG_1558997877800.jpg

On 2/16/2018 at 5:14 AM, Mahjik said:

Just for completeness, the front set is #54504.

i just got a set of these!

20190528_091118.jpg

Just seen from Tony's Tamiya Parts that the Top Force Hi-Caps are getting another run.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peter_B said:

Just seen from Tony's Tamiya Parts that the Top Force Hi-Caps are getting another run.

This is awesome news!

I just knew it! So glad I didn’t spend crazy money ($100+ USD) on a set on eBay. Just had a feeling they would do them again. 

Between these, the ball diffs and the carbon chassis set coming back, what other products could be in the pipeline towards an Evo replica or re re?

Just remember, if Tony got 'em, everyone will get 'em... Also checked the price he was asking, converted it was $114.81AUD - Absolute madness. I turned down a set for $100 on ebay as I was so offended. Will see if the other usual suspects get them in...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JNSD1 said:

Just remember, if Tony got 'em, everyone will get 'em... Also checked the price he was asking, converted it was $114.81AUD - Absolute madness. I turned down a set for $100 on ebay as I was so offended. Will see if the other usual suspects get them in...

yeah rcmart or rcjaz 

5 hours ago, JNSD1 said:

They where $95 AUD on RCJaz, rcmart wasn't far behind on the set i got off them 2 batches ago.

https://www.rcjaz.com/tamiya-47358-top-force-2017-hicap-dampers-for-47350-p-90084118.html

They are still heaps cheaper than buying the Modern Hi capacity buggy dampers (2 pairs of 54505 at around AUD$140 a pair without springs plus post) 

Remember the AUD sucks at the moment for hobby imports. 

They are very very nice shocks though, check my buggy damper thread.

• Thanks 1

Oh come on I missed them again! I need a set for my upcoming Monster Racer Build!

Ok team, just got the email from RC Jaz and they're back in stock! I bought a pair for $95AUD so a better deal as I thought it may be. I assume get in quick... However I al also still sure that others will get them back in as there is NO WAY in badword that only one or two suppliers will just get them. It will be limited stock regardless. 

https://www.rcjaz.com/tamiya-47358-top-force-2017-hicap-dampers-for-47350-p-90084118.html

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dc-arena said:

RCMart have these in stock, $45.00

God dam. That’s only like $66AUD and shipping is like $9. THAT’S the best deal you’re likely to ever see on them again. Just got another set. Only 14 left now. 

Funny as as I was emailing RC Mart about them as recently as last week and they didn’t say they were getting them in at all. 

Well the the prediction was right. If one suppliers getting them in Europe, lots will be. 

• Thanks 1

As far as RCMart goes, I don't care how many they say they have in stock. I've tried to buy these dampers from them twice before when they supposedly had them in stock. They took my money and then a few days later emailed me and said they were actually out of stock (despite the site stating there were a number in stock) and asked if I wanted store credit or a refund. The last time they pulled this trick it was for a Super Astute that was an actual "buy it now" auction on Ebay. Again, they took my money and said it would be sent out. A couple days later, another email stating it actually wasn't in stock. Again, I had to get the money transferred back to my Paypal account. I know plenty of people do business with them, but they've essentially lied to me three times now, so to heck with them.