Man1c M0nk3y

Top Force 2017 Dampers

8 hours ago, Juls1 said:

So the DF03 Springs will slide over the Hicaps, there is a little more clearance than I thought, However, you can't use the hicap damper preload ring or the spring retainer at the bottom of the shock, You'll have to raid your tamiya parts boxes for some different spring retainers (possibly the stock top force parts will work) and use normal spring clips for preload. 

For off road cars I prefer non threaded bodys because they don't collect as much sand and grit as threaded bodys can.

Interesting. Leaves a potential source of tuning available. 

As for the clips, I think the normal none screw ones are a better solution anyway. Certainly from a ease of use point of view. Simple to swap both sides equally. 

All pie in the sky yet and for further down the line. Just need to get the buggy built yet. 

Shocks have arrived in the UK and at my local delivery office. Just need them either delivered or the customs charge card to arrive so I can go collect them. 

I bought the other pair on eBay, for my manta Ray re release when it comes out. 

I doubt I’ll see Myn for a few weeks though, Don’t need them yet anyway don’t even know when the Manta Ray will be out Haha. 

Hopefully they will do another run of the shocks for when they release the manta Ray anyway. 

• Like 1

Nice one. 

Modelsport here in the UK reckons beginning of May for the Manta Ray. 

Be good if they do have a re run on the shocks but didn’t fancy missing out in the chance they don’t. 

I wanted some of those for my TF but never bothered picking them up, and regret it now since seeing them :D

Are the ones on the stock Top Force the same as 50520 shocks? I was actually thinking about getting a set of those for the re-re Manta Ray (the yellow stock ones won’t go with the colour scheme I am planning).

From what’s been said the 50520 would be an upgrade over the kit shocks. The kit shocks are v1 cva’s the 50520’s v2. 

The ones in the kit are ‘fixed’ with their one piece pistons whereas the 50520 ones come with the piston caps with holes allowing you to tune the shock to your tastes/setup. 

1 minute ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

From what’s been said the 50520 would be an upgrade over the kit shocks. The kit shocks are v1 cva’s the 50520’s v2. 

The ones in the kit are ‘fixed’ with their one piece pistons whereas the 50520 ones come with the piston caps with holes allowing you to tune the shock to your tastes/setup. 

Cheers, cool. I didn’t realise that cars like Manta Ray and Lunchbox had the shocks! When I was looking for upgrades for my Lunchbox the 50520s popped up (and are on the box too). 

I guess I always assumed the Lunchie ones would be way longer :D Never really though they’d share things like that. 

They are quite adaptable those 50520’s and equally the mini 50519’s. 

There was a picture floating about of the backs of the packaging that showed the lengths and setups available for loads of  models. 

The TF/MR needs two packs of 50520 fronts are 87mm rears 94mm just with different spacers f/r. 

4 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

There was a picture floating about of the backs of the packaging that showed the lengths and setups available for loads of  models. 

The TF/MR needs two packs of 50520 fronts are 87mm rears 94mm just with different spacers f/r. 

Ah. Well that makes it more expensive then if you need to buy two packs! :/

1 minute ago, dc-arena said:

Ah. Well that makes it more expensive then if you need to buy two packs! :/

I know. That’s the reason I decided to just bite the bullet on those ones from America. 

You could just rebuild the ones in the kit if you can get the correct length piston rods and some piston caps. I’m not sure of the length myself but I’m sure the information will be out there. Was an option I was considering if I’d not ended up getting the hop up or 50520’s. 

You might already have some top caps from another kit. I have some from my dt03 build which I intend to get new rods for to make use of the caps. 

The DF03 rear shocks fit the TF and they use separate rod/cap arrangement. Download the manual and get the part number. Bet you could go that route for £15 or so. 

1 hour ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

I know. That’s the reason I decided to just bite the bullet on those ones from America. 

You could just rebuild the ones in the kit if you can get the correct length piston rods and some piston caps. I’m not sure of the length myself but I’m sure the information will be out there. Was an option I was considering if I’d not ended up getting the hop up or 50520’s. 

You might already have some top caps from another kit. I have some from my dt03 build which I intend to get new rods for to make use of the caps. 

The DF03 rear shocks fit the TF and they use separate rod/cap arrangement. Download the manual and get the part number. Bet you could go that route for £15 or so. 

I’ll look into that. Actually I’ll have the friction shocks from my Neo Fighter as I think they were packed in alongside the CVAs.

I thought the 50520 had 4 shocks all the same length, I didn’t realise they were different lengths.

30 minutes ago, dc-arena said:

I’ll look into that. Actually I’ll have the friction shocks from my Neo Fighter as I think they were packed in alongside the CVAs.

I thought the 50520 had 4 shocks all the same length, I didn’t realise they were different lengths.

Can’t comment about the friction dampers as never used them. Aren’t they supposed to be poor? Or are you thinking parts raiding? Not sure anything will work. 

Your Neo Fighter cva’s shock sprue should have the piston caps with holes in if anything like what cage with mine. 

55 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Can’t comment about the friction dampers as never used them. Aren’t they supposed to be poor? Or are you thinking parts raiding? Not sure anything will work. 

Your Neo Fighter cva’s shock sprue should have the piston caps with holes in if anything like what cage with mine. 

I was thinking purely for the caps. TBH I am not knowledgeable about such things so I don’t really know :) It seems the hi caps are the way to go, just need to find somewhere that still has stock and isn’t ridiculously over priced.

3 hours ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Actually, I am slightly confused. Why do you need 2x packs of 50520? They contain 4 shocks don’t they? I just looked at a pack online and it appeared to have 4 shocks in. I must be missing something!

1 minute ago, dc-arena said:

Actually, I am slightly confused. Why do you need 2x packs of 50520? They contain 4 shocks don’t they? I just looked at a pack online and it appeared to have 4 shocks in. I must be missing something!

Are you sure?

Pretty certain all the ones I’ve seen contain two shock bodies and parts for such and 4 springs. Presumably 2 soft and 2 medium or hard. 

Not saying there isn’t packs of 4 shocks, just not what I’ve seen. 

Like this... https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/tamiya-cva-short-shock-unit-set-ii/?exchange_rate=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo_na4Juh2QIV6p3tCh2VywJJEAQYASABEgIUj_D_BwE

6 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Are you sure?

Pretty certain all the ones I’ve seen contain two shock bodies and parts for such and 4 springs. Presumably 2 soft and 2 medium or hard. 

Not saying there isn’t packs of 4 shocks, just not what I’ve seen. 

Like this... https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/tamiya-cva-short-shock-unit-set-ii/?exchange_rate=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo_na4Juh2QIV6p3tCh2VywJJEAQYASABEgIUj_D_BwE

Ahh that’s where my confusion is coming from, you’re absolutely right! 4 springs (2 different lengths?), but 2 dampers. 

Cheers for clearing that up!! 

Just now, dc-arena said:

Ahh that’s where my confusion is coming from, you’re absolutely right! 4 springs, but 2 dampers. 

Cheers for clearing that up!! 

No worries. All part of the learning curve. I’ve been looking at shocks and options a lot since picking up the Top Force.

Have to admit I’m still totally lost in the mine field of what fits what and what adjustments can be made to make x fit y. All part of the fun though. 

If you want to get carried away there’s loads you can do to the Neo Fighter/DT03 too. I have a build thread going on that if you are interested.

The Top Force was an impulse buy tbh! Still plenty to do on my DT03 yet. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

No worries. All part of the learning curve. I’ve been looking at shocks and options a lot since picking up the Top Force.

Have to admit I’m still totally lost in the mine field of what fits what and what adjustments can be made to make x fit y. All part of the fun though. 

If you want to get carried away there’s loads you can do to the Neo Fighter/DT03 too. I have a build thread going on that if you are interested.

The Top Force was an impulse buy tbh! Still plenty to do on my DT03 yet. 

Ooh yeah I would be interested, I’ll have a read through that! 👍 I am tempted to try out one of those cheap brushless systems you see on eBay, like the GoolRC etc. My DT03 is stock except ballraces the CVA ‘bonus items’ :)

I got  TT02 touring car for Xmas which is built, but I’ve yet to run it yet due to awful UK weather!

I am a total noob to all this! I think it was yourself I was asking about the Thrust Bearings earlier :)

Here’s the link. A bit slow to get going but I’ve changed plenty so ideas for you if you haven’t already come across them...

Still running the stock power myself. Speed Passion seems to get good feedback on here and the Turnigy TrackStar 80 stuff is supposed to be good value too. A search in the electrics sub forum will pay off there. 

Yep, it was me you asked about the thrust bearing. I have pm’d you with some links if you haven’t noticed. 

My Top Force won’t be built anytime soon tbh. Like I said impulse purchase and slowly sourcing parts for it. A few months yet I’d say. 

1 hour ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Here’s the link. A bit slow to get going but I’ve changed plenty so ideas for you if you haven’t already come across them...

Still running the stock power myself. Speed Passion seems to get good feedback on here and the Turnigy TrackStar 80 stuff is supposed to be good value too. A search in the electrics sub forum will pay off there. 

Yep, it was me you asked about the thrust bearing. I have pm’d you with some links if you haven’t noticed. 

My Top Force won’t be built anytime soon tbh. Like I said impulse purchase and slowly sourcing parts for it. A few months yet I’d say. 

Thanks very much! Lots of interesting stuff to read through! :)

I think I am going to try and source the Tamiya HiCaps that got released last year. I am annoyed that I skipped buying them when they were on sale last year. 

For reference the 50520 isn’t just proper pistons and shafts, the body is redesigned too compared to the stock top force/manta Ray shocks. 

Using the 50520 on the TF or manta, the fronts have a spacer put on the shaft inside the shock body for the front. Just like the stock dampers. 

Another twist on cva dampers is that the DT03 cva damper kit comes with the solid shock shaft/piston setup on the V2 body’s.

the shocks included with a CC01 suffer the same fate. I think tamiya where just trying to make the dampers easier to assemble.

i mean everyone loves those 2mm e clips right? Tamiyas e clip tool does take some of the pain away, but isn’t a golden bullet. 

On another note, these reproduction top force evo shock towers are a cheap and nice upgrade to the stock units. I prefer the look/shape of them myself. I bought my set when he was using frp instead of carbon (which is more accurate to the evo as it didn’t have carbon towers)

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-Top-Force-Evolution-Carbon-Fiber-Shock-Towers-4wd-rc-buggy-damper-Stays/162898684136?hash=item25ed84a8e8:g:GTwAAOSwyc1ZnPFW

• Like 1

Not sure where I got this but this may help with length.  Also, Tamiyausa sells DF03 shock sets for $50.  Not sure if they could be made to work out not.

1k0.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tamiya3speed said:

Also, Tamiyausa sells DF03 shock sets for $50.  Not sure if they could be made to work out not.

Apparently you can but need two sets for the rears, so gets expensive plus leaves you with four shorter shocks you may never use. 

I just got an email reply from Tamico and they said they no information on a possible restock, and it's likely they've been discontinued. 

:/