GooneyBird

Homebuilt RC car trailer

Here's a project that's been sitting at the back of my brain ever since I've built the Pajero. When I finished that car I added a trailer hitch point, but never really used it for anything. But, I've since acquired a bit more courage to scratchbuild stuff, and a pile of brass tubing.

I'm planning to build something like this:
SO_11260_BW16_7_ODCH_1_29_13_009.jpg

Not too complicated, and since these things lead a rough life I can be a bit sloppy and it'll still look decently realistic.

I'm doing this in three phases. First and foremost I'll build the deck. Once that's finished I'll work out a way to make it to move, and then find some way to attach it to the car. The Pajero has a tow hitch attachment point, and I'll build a ball receiver for it when it's all said and done.

In terms of size, I'm going with a deck of 200mm by 400mm. Larger real trailers are around that size, and it fits my 195ishmm wide touring cars well. For wheels and tires I'll be using M-chassis 60Ds. Those will net me a realistic size for the usually 14 or 15 inch trailer wheels. I've noticed that American trailers have these distinct white spoke wheels, but I'm shooting for Euro-style steelies:
aanhangwagen-autoverzekering.png

I'm thinking either the Alfa Giulia wheels, or the ubiquitous VW Beetle wheels spraypainted either silver or white.

Anyway, onto the actual build!

Since I needed to buy brass, and a lot of it, I made An Actual Plan. (*audience gasps*)

IMG_2428.jpg

IMG_2429.jpg

I was kinda hoping this would allow me to plan ahead, and don't buy more brass tubing than I'd actually need. Which I did, BTW, but that's not important right now. I used brass since it's easy to cut and solder, and makes for a lightweight and yet strong trailer. (And let's be honest, it's not like it needs to carry 10+ kg).

I started making a square frame, which I then reinforced with more crossbars. This made sure I had a decently flat base to work from.

IMG_2430.jpg

IMG_2431.jpg

I solder brass in two steps. First I stick the pieces together using a bit of flux. This makes for a messy, but strong joint. I then go over it with a hot iron and smooth it out so it looks a little better. If needed I then sand the whole thing down.

Some soldering and many loud noises later:
IMG_2434.jpg

This is my base platform. To this I'll attach wheels and tires (somehow...) and a tongue so it can connect to the Pajero. It's plenty strong and stiff, and yet isn't all that heavy. Obviously once it's finished I'll paint the whole thing black. This is all nice and steampunk-y, but not really what I'm shooting for.

• Like 2

With the base platform more or less where I want to to be, this brings me to the next challenge; wheels and tires. As I posted above, I'm going to go with M-chassis wheels and tires. More specifically, 60D tires. As the only set I have to test with is a chewed-up set from my Alpine, you'll have to excuse the bad state of rolling gear, it's only temporary.

The easiest solution, obviously, was to just get a piece of M4 rod, stick it through, and call it a day. But no, that wouldn't be right. First I experimented using old rear hubs I had laying around, but that would just become large and bulky. Time for a re-think!
Ideally, I would have liked to have kept the hex-drives intact, so I could use any wheel or tire. However, this would lead to unnecessary complications. So I've decided to go with a different plan:

IMG_2436.jpg

This is an M4 bolt, held against the piece of brass with a nut and washers to distribute the load. Over this bolt I'll slip a piece of brass (or plastic, doesn't really matter) tubing with an inner diameter of 4mm, and an outer of 5mm. I'll then drill out the centers of the wheels to accept flanged bearings, essentially replicating what's on the front of a 2WD buggy or F1 car. I haven't done that yet, since I still need to source the appropriate tubing, and the required flanged bearings to sit in the wheel. I'll post more pics of that when I get that underway, obviously.

Still I couldn't resist a quick mockup. It was then I noticed that the trailer actually looked more realistic upside-down!

IMG_2437.jpg

IMG_2438.jpg

In terms of size it's spot on!
IMG_2440.jpg
(Also, wow the Skyline is dusty!)

Stay tuned as I'm slowly making progress on this.

• Like 5

Good work so far!  I will be watching this with much interest.  I want to do this for the TRF201 I haven't bought yet,  and pull it behind the CC-01 I haven't built yet...  <_<

7 hours ago, GooneyBird said:

With the base platform more or less where I want to to be, this brings me to the next challenge; wheels and tires. As I posted above, I'm going to go with M-chassis wheels and tires. More specifically, 60D tires. As the only set I have to test with is a chewed-up set from my Alpine, you'll have to excuse the bad state of rolling gear, it's only temporary.

The easiest solution, obviously, was to just get a piece of M4 rod, stick it through, and call it a day. But no, that wouldn't be right. First I experimented using old rear hubs I had laying around, but that would just become large and bulky. Time for a re-think!
Ideally, I would have liked to have kept the hex-drives intact, so I could use any wheel or tire. However, this would lead to unnecessary complications. So I've decided to go with a different plan:

IMG_2436.jpg

This is an M4 bolt, held against the piece of brass with a nut and washers to distribute the load. Over this bolt I'll slip a piece of brass (or plastic, doesn't really matter) tubing with an inner diameter of 4mm, and an outer of 5mm. I'll then drill out the centers of the wheels to accept flanged bearings, essentially replicating what's on the front of a 2WD buggy or F1 car. I haven't done that yet, since I still need to source the appropriate tubing, and the required flanged bearings to sit in the wheel. I'll post more pics of that when I get that underway, obviously.

Perhaps consider using SandScorcher SMOOTHIE fronts or scab some off an RC plane perhaps. Trailer wheels aren't that wide usually :)

Very cool!  A trailer is on my project list.  Really like what you've done so far.

On 19-2-2018 at 12:13 AM, s2-g2 said:

Very cool!  A trailer is on my project list.  Really like what you've done so far.

Thanks! I've been busy preparing and maintaining the race cars, and I haven't had much time to work on it lately. I'll get to it ASAP, promissed!