Phil5556

Stick transmitter recommendations?

15 hours ago, InsaneJim69 said:

Have had my Spektrum DX6i for a fair few years now and love it. Iirc it cost me £80 and was worth every penny, considering the RRP is around £140 or so. The only downside initially was the non returning throttle. Which I then found out that if you open up the case and remove a screw in the throttle stick it activates the spring loaded return (helps to read the manual). So now works just like a standard stick radio. It is quite large though, but it is very solid.

James.

Does it have the AVC options in the menu?

No I don't think it has. It's actually a 6 channel radio not intended for car use, but it obviously can be used if needed. It's mainly used as an air based radio set. 

James.

Yep, I cant see many high end options with surface specific options.

Surface radios have faster refresh rates dont they? I guess doesnt matter for messing around but for racing, steering response from an air transmitter would be an issue I think.

On 3/2/2018 at 11:36 PM, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

The Turnigy version doesn't have the return spring on the throttle, only the FlySky does - I bought the Turnigy one then had to source a spring kit from China :blink:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flysky-i6S-FS-i6S-Self-Centering-Throttle-Mode-Change-Part-/173204987007?hash=item2853d25c7f

The receivers are pretty big, worth checking if space is a issue

click for the big picture

12 hours ago, TWINSET said:

The Turnigy version doesn't have the return spring on the throttle, only the FlySky does - I bought the Turnigy one then had to source a spring kit from China :blink:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flysky-i6S-FS-i6S-Self-Centering-Throttle-Mode-Change-Part-/173204987007?hash=item2853d25c7f

The receivers are pretty big, worth checking if space is a issue

click for the big picture

There are a number of Flysky receivers. There is a smaller 6ch one and the 3ch which is suitable for cars is as small as any other Rx’s I’ve seen pretty much. 

50pcs-flysky-fs-gt3e-fs-gt3c-failsafe-3-

On 3/20/2018 at 3:40 AM, InsaneJim69 said:

Have had my Spektrum DX6i for a fair few years now and love it. Iirc it cost me £80 and was worth every penny, considering the RRP is around £140 or so. The only downside initially was the non returning throttle. Which I then found out that if you open up the case and remove a screw in the throttle stick it activates the spring loaded return (helps to read the manual). So now works just like a standard stick radio. It is quite large though, but it is very solid.

James.

There's two versions of the DX6i (just to simplify life) - The one I bought in 2015 needed a spring kit fitted, as per http://www.holtcraft.com/tip_dx6i.php
They are the best 'feeling' transmitters I've ever owned though, not at all plasticky
Not sure if there's any exterior differences to tell the innards apart?
https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=126862&id=169

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TWINSET said:

There's two versions of the DX6i (just to simplify life) - The one I bought in 2015 needed a spring kit fitted, as per http://www.holtcraft.com/tip_dx6i.php
They are the best 'feeling' transmitters I've ever owned though, not at all plasticky
Not sure if there's any exterior differences to tell the innards apart?
https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=126862&id=169

Ah never knew that. That's the exact same one I have as well. But the spring kit was already fitted, but there was a screw wound all the way in to disable the spring, just a case of backing that out and it automatically activated the spring loaded throttle. 👍

James

Yup, that screw (and some friction plates) are on the new all-black DX6 too, mine must have been an early DX6i.

The layout, internally, on mine was totally different to the friction plate version but the casing looks very similar (if not identical)

I'm considering getting an old silver Futaba Attack-R, c. 1988 from ebay and replacing the guts with those from a modern Flysky or similar radio. I still haven't found any radios which feel as nice to use as the old 27MHz Attack series. I have a slightly more modern Attack-SR, but it's all off white plastic and nowhere near as nice to use as the older silver ones.

I can foresee some chopping and dremelling might be needed to do it, but it's worth a go! I reckon so long as the pots on the sticks have about the same range of resistance in both sets, it shouldn't be impossible.

As an aside, I use the HobbyKing 3-ch wheel Tx and a 6-ch air Tx with the small 3-Ch Receivers pictured a few posts above this by LosiXXT-CR and find them very reliable, just not as nicely made and thus not as nice to use. Having all the EPA and dual rate settings on the wheel system is really nice, but not essential to me for most of my bashing.

6 hours ago, richard.tufty said:

I'm considering getting an old silver Futaba Attack-R, c. 1988 from ebay and replacing the guts with those from a modern Flysky or similar radio. I still haven't found any radios which feel as nice to use as the old 27MHz Attack series. I have a slightly more modern Attack-SR, but it's all off white plastic and nowhere near as nice to use as the older silver ones.

I can foresee some chopping and dremelling might be needed to do it, but it's worth a go! I reckon so long as the pots on the sticks have about the same range of resistance in both sets, it shouldn't be impossible.

As an aside, I use the HobbyKing 3-ch wheel Tx and a 6-ch air Tx with the small 3-Ch Receivers pictured a few posts above this by LosiXXT-CR and find them very reliable, just not as nicely made and thus not as nice to use. Having all the EPA and dual rate settings on the wheel system is really nice, but not essential to me for most of my bashing.

I'd be interested to see if you manage this.

I've seen these kinds of modules https://www.t9hobbysport.com/rc-gear/frsky-tx-modules 

and have an Acoms Techniplus like this

Acoms-Techniplus-Transmitter-27MHz.jpg

9 hours ago, richard.tufty said:

What a fantastic idea.

I'm up for that. Going on my project list.

On 12/04/2018 at 9:55 AM, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

Tamiya is making a new stick transmitter coming this May.

https://tamiyablog.com/2018/04/new-tamiya-item-release-list-for-may-2018/tamiya-45068_1/

My word that looks so cheap and nasty from big T. You would think they could at least come up with a solid looking transmitter or at the very minimum choose a decent base one to rebrand, that looks very plasticy :(

James.

On 3/27/2018 at 10:40 PM, Ann3x said:

What a fantastic idea.

I'm up for that. Going on my project list.

So I successfully converted a Futuba Attack SR to use Spektrum DX4S internals, 2.4ghz, AVC etc. Took a while but it's awesome, feels just like original transmitter but I've got a recessed LCD screen with all the whizz bang stuff available.

I'm going to start on converting an Attack-R (my favorite vintage radio) soon, Attack SR was just a cheaper option for the short term.

If anyone's interested I can post some photos (basically a 3d printed support board, some simple soldering some "DIY" on the case).

5 hours ago, Ann3x said:

So I successfully converted a Futuba Attack SR to use Spektrum DX4S internals, 2.4ghz, AVC etc. Took a while but it's awesome, feels just like original transmitter but I've got a recessed LCD screen with all the whizz bang stuff available.

I'm going to start on converting an Attack-R (my favorite vintage radio) soon, Attack SR was just a cheaper option for the short term.

If anyone's interested I can post some photos (basically a 3d printed support board, some simple soldering some "DIY" on the case).

Nice work!

Do you really need to ask? I bet everyone is interested! Probably in a build thread all on its own! And step by step instructions on how to do it for a wheel type...

4 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Nice work!

Do you really need to ask? I bet everyone is interested! Probably in a build thread all on its own! And step by step instructions on how to do it for a wheel type...

OK, will take some pictures later on. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2018 at 3:50 AM, Jonathon Gillham said:

Nice work!

Build thread here. Will add in more pics later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,

I know this is an old topic, excusez moi. I acquired a Spektrum DX6i but am having problems getting it up and running. The transmitter works, it connects to the receiver just fine it seems, but the ESC (a Quickrun 1060) is not responding at all (red light keeps flashing). So I am wondering: how do I set this all up? Any tips? Thanks!

Oh ad just to make sure: the ESC works perfect with a 27mhz setup. 

24 minutes ago, Bastiaan said:

Hi all,

I know this is an old topic, excusez moi. I acquired a Spektrum DX6i but am having problems getting it up and running. The transmitter works, it connects to the receiver just fine it seems, but the ESC (a Quickrun 1060) is not responding at all (red light keeps flashing). So am am wondering: how do I set this all up? Any tips? Thanks!

Oh ad just to make sure: the ESC works perfect with a 27mhz setup. 

Try plugging it in to another channel on the receiver. Confusingly on my flysky kit, some of the receivers require the esc in channel 3, some work on channel 2.

• Like 1

Hmmm I actually got it working. I used the same channels as the other night but put in the connectors the other way around. Maybe it was that, or I unconsciously did something else in the order of setting up everything. Anyway, it works! The throttle stick did not center automatically so I removed the spring that manages the centering of the throttle stick horizontally and all the parts connected to it, and installed it so that the stick now has a spring for vertical movement and centering. I used two toothpicks as a wig to block horizontal movement. Not the most elegant solution but it works :). I will look for extra parts to replace the spring I removed. 

3KXSUu1.jpg

I'm looking for a reasonable (in both quality and price) stick transmitter myself, there aren't many about and I don't know enough about them to know if I can use a plane/drone type with a car...  The Futaba (the one that looks like an alien that's been hit by a double decker bus) seems to be about the best option but are there any others?  Is adapting a flight transmitter easy to do? I don't mind extra channels but would like the sticks to move in only one direction each, have spring return, etc. Back to youtube for more info I think...  I want my old acoms techniplus back again, but updated to 2.4GHz!

I have a flysky i6, you can get a throttle return spring from banggood for £1 or so.

My memory is a bit hazy, but if I recall correctly left to right on the right stick was channel three and up/down was channel 1. So I swapped the plugs around inside to give left to right on channel 1, thus fitting the normal operation for a car. You can assign different channels to the operation in the software itself, possible that I didn't need to swap plugs around, I can't remember.

Anyway, it works fine. The sticks on mine still go both ways, its not as much of a problem as you might think. I did see a guy on youtube glue his up with a hot glue gun so they only moved in one direction.. make sure you get it right! ha! It might be possible to put a locking screw in to do this too.

If you do a search here there was a chap who took some 2.4ghz electronics from a modern transmitter and fitted them to an old 27Mhz handset, kind of a best of both worlds!