Sign in to follow this  
TOG12

First kit?

Hi guys, I’m fairly new to RC and have a couple of RTRs. However I’m looking to build my first kit now, I like the look of the MF01-X chassis. Would this be a good idea to or might this be a bit tricky for someone with little experience?

14 minutes ago, TOG12 said:

Hi guys, I’m fairly new to RC and have a couple of RTRs. However I’m looking to build my first kit now, I like the look of the MF01-X chassis. Would this be a good idea to or might this be a bit tricky for someone with little experience?

Yes, no, maybe :)

Really depends. Are you happy following instructions. And do you have somewhere to build it and be prepared to spend the hours on it. I’ve not built that chassis, but struggle to believe it’s that hard. Some suitable tools will come in handy too. 

If you are worried a 2wd platform will have less bits over a 4wd one. Not meaning easier, just quicker to assemble. 

• Like 1

Having built the DT-03, and comparing it's manual to that of the MF-01X, I'd say that if you can build one, you can build the other. The MF-01X has more pieces being 4WD, but assembly is no more difficult, only more time consuming. Both should be well within the capabilities of most people, beginners included.

• Like 1

It all depends on how handy you are. 

If you can build IKEA chairs without one leg pointing up to the ceiling, I'd say you an RC kit isn't too difficult.  But if you are a type of a person who needs help with putting in ink cartridges in a printer, it might be better to stick with RTR.  Everybody is different.  

• Like 1

I've built a few in the last year although not the MF01, but it looks to me to be similar complexity to the other entry level kits so should be a pretty straightforward and enjoyable build.

I find the rere kits are more fiddly than modern kits, check out a Boomerangs uprights compared to TT02B for example.

The race kits are the hardest as they have much tighter tolerances so can need filing or shimming, and they are more likely to have things like ball diffs which need to be setup, and stuff like that is art as much as science. I wouldn't recommend one of these as a first kit unless you are very handy with this stuff. Granddad Stinky is a great example of someone who will always be better than me at building kits, even before he had built one, because of all his experience from his working life.

I say go for it, its usually a satisfying and rewarding experience and you learn a lot along the way. If nothing else ypu at least know how to fix it when it inevitably breaks!

• Like 2

In my personal opinion, the best way to learn is to jump right into something that seems difficult. Don't second guess yourself on difficulty. If one person can do it, so can you. Just follow a few basic rules.

• Acquire the right tools before you start.
  • Have patience.
  • Follow the instructions.
  • If you don't understand something, ask questions.
  • If you have to force it, you're doing something wrong. 

I say go for it, ask questions, and post pics of the progress.

• Like 2

Kingfisher is right, make sure you have the right tools and a good place to build and you'll be fine.  A good set of RC tools really comes in handy.  The great thing about Tamiya kits are the instructions, they are very thorough and make it hard to do anything incorrectly.  There's also this forum, just post if you have an issue and guys will be sure to jump in and help out.  

I'm at the point where building the car is the most enjoyable part.  It's a shame that some companies don't offer kits.  I will actually choose an RC based on whether its offered as a kit or not.  It's a very calming and rewarding experience assembling the vehicle yourself.   Whichever you choose good luck, you'll be just fine.

• Like 1

Just don't buy the Cat XLS if its your first kit, wait until kit # 20 to make that leap, my son built an RC10 worlds when he turned 13 and he managed fine up until the turn buckles, as above make sure you have the correct tools for the job and a well lit stable working area

take your time and enjoy the build, it is very rewarding 

• Haha 1

I would echo much of what is said here but ask first, where will you run it?

I’d buy touring cars but I have nowhere to run them. Instead, my Wild Willy is great fun on my bumpy unkempt lawn, my Hornet struggles a bit more when the grass is a bit longer.

What are your RTR? Do you want something to run aside them?

Google videos of the cars in action. Much as I wanted an XV01 rally car, I went for the Asterion truck as I’d get more use in my back yard.

6 hours ago, OOZZEE said:

Just don't buy the Cat XLS if its your first kit, wait until kit # 20 to make that leap, my son built an RC10 worlds when he turned 13 and he managed fine up until the turn buckles, as above make sure you have the correct tools for the job and a well lit stable working area

take your time and enjoy the build, it is very rewarding 

cat xls is complicated but i didn't see any benefit of its complexity...==

why did they design the rear diff that way? in what aspect(s) does this design better than that seen in most buggy?

On the subject of tools: a fancy tool set is nice to have, but for the vast majority of hobby level kits, all you need is a JIS screwdriver and a craft knife. The kit comes supplied with a perfectly adequate box spanner and Allen key for the wheel nuts and pinion grub screw. Flush cutters are handy for removing parts from sprues, but you can achieve similarly neat results with a knife and some care. Likewise curved scissors can be handy for some bodyshell trimming tasks, but many people trim entire bodyshells with a knife using the score and snap technique. 

• Like 2

You are a member of Tamiya Club. Any model you choose will be a piece of cake with the guys here offering help. Remember:

"Help will always be given at Hogwarts Tamiya Club to those who ask for it."

.:)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

My first kit was a DT-03 neo scorcher really enjoyed the build overall, I now prefer buying used cars and rebuilding them feels more rewarding but I don't really know why! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1