Percheron

If you could only own 1?

Being new to the hobby after a 30+ year hiatus, and seeing all the re-re’s I coveted as a child, I’m curious what you folks would get if you could just own one kit?  Be it for bashing around or club racing.

Currently, I have a freshly built Frog (Thank you, Santa!) but I think if I was to buy only one more, it would be a hard choice between a Boomerang or a Kyosho Optima.  As a kid, the box art of the Boomerang at the hobby store called to me like no other, but I’d like to do some club racing now and the Optima would be a great thing to have. It too left an impression on my 12 year old mind, all the ads and magazine reviews worked!

-Derek

• Like 1

Thats a tough question, but for me it would be the Boomerang.  It was my first hobby grade as a kid so I pre-ordered the rerelease last year as soon as I found out about it.  I do enjoy racing though and obviously the Boomerang isn't up to that anymore, but I'd need 2 to race as its a big commitment to get to the club days so not really worth it with 1 car, and since you limited it to just one...

Also I run the Boomerang with my son when he runs his Monster Beetle.  Its the 80s all over again at my house

I reckon it would have to be a Juggernaut. Back in the late 90's when I was 13ish my local model shop had a brand new one, boxed sat up on the highest shelf waiting for someone to buy it. Being 13 I didn't have anywhere near enough money for it but it was the one I always had my eye on. Now that I'm a grown man I still don't have anywhere near enough money for one so it's a vicious circle really <_<

• Haha 2

1990 Manta Ray for me, got it when I was 12 for Christmas, currently rebuilding so my son can enjoy it too. 

1 hour ago, Percheron said:

Being new to the hobby after a 30+ year hiatus, and seeing all the re-re’s I coveted as a child, I’m curious what you folks would get if you could just own one kit?  Be it for bashing around or club racing.

Currently, I have a freshly built Frog (Thank you, Santa!) but I think if I was to buy only one more, it would be a hard choice between a Boomerang or a Kyosho Optima.  As a kid, the box art of the Boomerang at the hobby store called to me like no other, but I’d like to do some club racing now and the Optima would be a great thing to have. It too left an impression on my 12 year old mind, all the ads and magazine reviews worked!

-Derek

i would choose Tamiya bruiser..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sammo said:

I reckon it would have to be a Juggernaut. Back in the late 90's when I was 13ish my local model shop had a brand new one, boxed sat up on the highest shelf waiting for someone to buy it. Being 13 I didn't have anywhere near enough money for it but it was the one I always had my eye on. Now that I'm a grown man I still don't have anywhere near enough money for one so it's a vicious circle really <_<

My bike needed some work the other week cost me £250 for parts, it annoyed me more that it was eating into my RC fund! 

• Like 1

I've just bought a FAV to satisfy my childhood desires, if Tamico have the Frog on offer in the future, I may be able to resist

As for just one? - c'mon, that's a unfair question!

I suppose today it would be the FAV as I've just bought it (and the modelling potential it has), going to the beach one weekend in the non too distant future and will be taking my old upgraded Fighter Buggy (with Mad Bull rear wheels) and new sparkly DT-03, so opinions may change :)

I think for me it has to be the avante simply because I don't do any racing these day more building tinkering and the odd running in the garden or over the park on a late summer's afternoon when it's generally quiet;) I just love watching it and cleaning it and never get sick of looking at it:wub: of course there is better performance buggies and back in the day I couldn't ever afford the avante (which is probably why I am so fond of it now) in my club racing days I had some very good and competitive buggies (nitro and electric) but for sheer ownership it has to be the avante:D

IMG_20170624_113308.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Falcon. I no longer have much interest in those type of vehicles, but the fun I had with my Falcon when I was a wee lad 30 years ago means I'd love to build and customise the heck out of a re-release. It would receive the very best of parts and upgrades. A shining example of pointless excess for it would never turn a wheel in anger and remain locked away in stasis as a re-Dorian Gray like tribute to my lost innocence.:lol:

Tamiya Mazda 787b, it's always been the one Tamiya I have always wanted. Luckily I have 3 now, :) , a new built shelf queen, a runner and 1 that needs a resto, just haven't got round to it yet. Will one day get a nib one and it will be my only nib that I would keep sealed.

James.

• Like 1

For me as I am into my monster trucks then the best overall for bashing, robustness and general go anywhere capability at speed has to be a TXT-2.

Best classis 90s era nostalgia truck would be an original Juggernaut.

For 80s nostalgia a Clod Buster.

If you like the buggies or touring/F1/city cars then it's a different choice all together.

Well you can't pick just one, it's impossible.

I'd pick a hotshot for the childhood memories and it's reasonable handling, I really like the look of the turbo Optima (might well be tempted to get one if it is ever re-released), my TXT-1 with the 1/8 brushless in it is my favourite 'grab it annihilate the flower border' model, and I'd want my War Rig for the sheer size and the amount of effort and time that's gone into building it.

Very tough call. Almost impossible.

My absolute favourite of all time is the 959 but it is just too delicate to run and I like to run them, so for me it would have to be a 3-speed, probably the Mountaineer.

Easy, the one car I would've bought if I'd not already given up RC as a hobby by the time it was released: a Dyna Storm!

If it must be a re re, then for bashing, i'd go a boomerang, for club racing,  a cat xls (with gearbox upgrade). 

I have many of the Tamiya vehicles considered "important", but had I have to choose just one that would have to be the Clod Buster. Hands down.

No love for the Hotshot?  ;)

If I could only have one Tamiya, it would be the Hotshot.  I don't really know why, but it's been the one I've always longed for since it was released.  Honorable mention, Buggy Champ.  

When I was young, I couldn't afford a car, but I used to drool over the Bruiser box that was sitting up on a shelf behind the hobby counter at my local toy store. 4 years ago I decided I would try to find one, get it working, and run it with my kids. That's when I discovered that they were re-issuing cars, and there was this whole collectors market. Sure enough, the Bruiser is still out of my financial reach, haha.

At this point, I don't really want one because I would be afraid to run it and break something. A nice fresh box art Bruiser is a thing of beauty!

• Like 1

The last time this (unfair, and almost unanswerable) question came up, I chose the Associated RC10, because it can be turned into almost anything.

It still wouldn't be a terrible choice, but nowadays I think I would take any decent 4WD straight-axle scaler chassis. Doesn't even really matter which one. That way, I can make a new body for it when I want something "new."

39 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

The last time this (unfair, and almost unanswerable) question came up, I chose the Associated RC10, because it can be turned into almost anything.

It still wouldn't be a terrible choice, but nowadays I think I would take any decent 4WD straight-axle scaler chassis. Doesn't even really matter which one. That way, I can make a new body for it when I want something "new."

You’re right, it is an unfair question, to a point. I don’t see myself becoming a “collector “ so realistically I need to find that one kit that can satisfy all the itches.  Granted, I don’t have to keep it forever, but I was curious what others would buy.  They’re all so freaking cool!  My first buggy  was the Falcon, if they ever re-re it, I will buy it.

-Derek

Top Force Evolution by a hair from the Egress & Dyna Storm.

Just so **** sexy.

I was thinking about something inexpensive, simple, convenient, easy to maintain, with lots of tinkering and replay value, and for me it would have to be a F103GT.

The F103GT is not an expensive kit; it's easy to build and it will drive well with a silver can and cheap electronics.  There's relatively fresh asphalt in front of my house, so walking down the driveway and playing in the street with an onroad car is about as convenient as it gets for me.  It's just dust and small pebbles in the street, no dirt or mud, so a blast from the air compressor cleans it quickly afterwards.  Thanks to the chassis plate construction and 12mm wheel hexes, you can make just about any wheelbase and track width combination desired by cutting new plates and swapping in touring car wheels with different offsets.  The chassis is so low any body can be used, even the low-nose bodies from the TA05IFS, TB03, and Group C cars.  Sometimes I imagine trying to make front mechanical brakes for this chassis, or converting it into a RWD drifter, and taking advantage of the low chassis to do a full interior, not just from the chest up.

I know access to decent tarmac is an obstacle for many people, but in my case it's 10 meters away from the house and devoid of traffic and kids.  It's an ideal situation to play with onroad cars.  Even if I needed to find an unused basketball court or tennis court, I could probably sell my whole collection and keep a few F103GTs around for fun.

IMG_2171.JPG

• Like 1

22 previous replies and nobody called out the Sand Scorcher?!? For me this is the most iconic car ever produced and will always be #1!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wild Willy 2.  Because i can't possibly take Willy2 seriously.  

Many of us are collectors. We won't part with our collections easily.  But I see the question along the same line as "which RC car left you with an ever-lasting impression?"  or "which RC do you think you'll drive the most?"