Sign in to follow this  
whahooo

120mm Shocks / Parts to make shocks longer

Hello,

i`m desperatly in search of Parts to make my Shocks a Little Bit longer.

I´m thinking of These Parts:

kugelkopf_m3_profi_62_0.jpg

I would like to lenghten my Traxxas Big Bore Shocks from 100mm to 110, 115 or 120mm or something like that, so that the Suspension are able  to fully extend and get a Little bit of "Sag".

Are there any Options or other Ways to lenghten the Shocks?

If you extend the shocks with longer eyelets, then you will certainly have longer shocks but the amount of travel will remain the same.  This means the suspension might droop a little more, but it will hit a hard stop (the shock body) sooner under compression.  This might cause some damage to the internals of the shock, or it might break the shock tower.  Usually you want the bottom of the chassis to hit the ground before the shock reaches the end of its travel to prevent damage to the shock and the tower.

If the suspension arms have some alternate mounting holes, especially more inboard holes, try using them with the existing shocks first.  Changing the lower attachment point can give you more travel, but you might need different springs or oils to restore ride height and damping.

The longer eyelets might also help, but check the suspension under full compression too.

You might need to buy some different shocks ultimately.  I think Wheely King shocks are 116mm in length; that's one option.  There are other options out there too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the quick and detailed answer.

I got a Set of Traxxas Big Bore Shocks for the E-Maxx (set of 8 shocks), i think they are 100mm Long.

I use 4 of the Shocks (with original Clod Buster springs) on an Wild Dagger with the aluminum shocktower and the Arms are almost horizontal....   ...i use the more inboard holes and the Suspension is a Little bit on the stiff side....

I also use 4 of the same Shocks on a Clod Buster with the original Clodbuster Springs and the Truck has zero "Sag" and the Suspension is also a Little too stiff for my liking....

...so i thought maybe i´ll try longer eyelets to see if that change the supensionwork. The Shocks have plenty of inner Travel, more than the 2 Cars could fully make use of, but i think the Shocks are a Little bit to short for the Cars.

I hope i was able to explain the "Problem" in "propper english" ^^  I´m very unconfident with my englishskills at the Moment ^^

I was going to get shock towers and Emaxx shocks for Wild Dagger myself.  You are doing it already!  

I guess I'm going to need longer eyelets?  Do keep us posted, please.  So I can learn from your experience (cheaply ;)).  

@Juggular:

I think a lot of People use the E-Maxx Shocks with the custom Shocktowers on theirs WR-01´s and they might be happy with that Setting.

But i think the Shocks (as good as they are) are a Little bit to short because the Arms almos horizontally.

If you over do the degree of your Arms, your Dogbones will Pop out, so i think there have to be a golden middle.

For more Groundclearence ive bought a Little bit bigger Weheels from Hobbywing that will also look mor Monster Truckish, so the last Part is a beautiful Body like a FORD one. (Lexan prefered).

My Optimum WR-01 dream Suspensionbehavior (not archeivable becaus in the Video shown is a WT-01):

For the Clodbuster:

There are These lift Kits:

http://crawfordperformanceengineering.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_115&products_id=64

But i think longer eyelets would do the same Job but cheaper & better, but i don`t find any ^^

My Optimum Clod dream Suspensionbehavior (not archeivable):

• Like 1

lol, I was looking for that WT01 video....thank you.

I thought I had seen that Japanese guy's video on his suspension setup but I don't see it anymore. (or it could have been some other guy).  Oh, I found it.  His shocktowers were home-made!!  

Thanks to your question, I decided to join the bandwagon, and I ordered shock towers just now.  I've been meaning to order them for a few years.  Back then there were few more options, but this is the only (cheap) thing I found.  I can see what you mean by "arms are horizontal."  At least the hols in the arm should not be horizontal.  I guess the designer of these towers didn't know why there are several different holes on the arms.  Maybe I'll ditch the stock shell and put on a Bronco shell.  

5a7b693c1d691_wt01shocktower.jpg.06932835104235f28d5f92390a0df227.jpg

I have not seen that Clod video.  

Tamiya's suspensions are often too stiff.  But the video shows that clod can have a supple suspension!  That's great.  I've put on T-Maxx shocks for my Juggernaut with 4 link suspensions.  It's a lot better than the ultra-bouncy leaf suspension.  Inexpensive Maxx shocks are fairly good.  I used the other 4 on Mad Bison.  Since I don't have anymore, I guess I'll order a set of E-maxx shocks.  Which means I might be following your setup pretty closely...  

As in the above picture, vaterra make 120mm long rear shocks. Mostly for glamis, I think rears on twin hammers might be the same. 

There is a few tamiya parts you can extend shocks with. The suspension parts included in the cc01 kits have possibly the longest ends I’ve seen. 

The other thing you could do is find some physically longer shock shafts that are compatible. 

Juls

Hello,

i'm getting the Topic back up to ask if anyone knows longer Eyelets for the Traxxas Big Bore Shocks.

The Oilchamber and the unused Positve Travel is pleny enough when they're built into the Clodbuster.

So i need more negative Travel for my Clod to get more Sag.

I want to use the original suspension of the Super Clodbuster.

I already installed Alluminum anti Roll bracets and an alluminum Chassis bracet.

Also i installed 2 Servomounts on each axle to give the Suspension more Room.

(The original Steering limits the Suspension quite a bit)

Ps:

Where can i find the cc01 suspension eyelets?

Fudge it, i've just ordered 120mm red alluminum shoks.

I think they will work.

Now i just need a Servoreverser for my Y Harness.

And maybe 2 stronger brushed Motors.

So, al long Time ago i installed the Cheapo shocks.

They Work fine, but i installed just 4 Shocks in Total. I just did not like the Look of it, so i ordered another Set of 4 shocks....

Long Story Short, i Lost the other Set somwhere in my House, it?s very frustrating.

So now i ordered 2 Sets of four Shocks of this Kind, they look better, but i`m not shure about the Handeling, i never had such shocks...

Why are there 2 Springs on each shock? Does anyone know how this kind of shocks handle?

Was it a dumb Idea??

cb.jpg

Could be for looks, could be for variable rate. Softer spring to absorb the random bumping and heavier to stop it from smacking the bottom when the softer spring compresses.

Dualrate would be Awsome.

I Hope the Springs are Soft enough, because i do not have any fittig Springs. With the old Shocks, i used the original Springs of the Pogosticks.

If you get them grab the springs and head to your local hobby shop and see what you can find to make them dual rate if needed. They may just be a standard size they can get cheap and they do it for a neat look and cost savings too.

Dual rate is kind of nice. It does have its drawbacks though. Because you have different spring rates you wind up over dampened for one spring and under for the other.

Got the Shocks today.

There is a Logo of "Cool Racing" on it and there are 2 Sets of Springs in the Package included, so you can slap a "hard" "soft" and "dual rate" Setup on them.

Sadly i only got 1 Set of 4 shocks. I ordered 2 Sets of 4pcs to get 8 shocks total. I hope that it isn`t a Itemdiscribtionscam and i hope to get the other 4 Shocks in a few days.

That are the Shocks:

Why does he put just 3/4 of the Oil in it?
I fill CVA alwas full without any Air in it.

Are there a right way to fill theese shocks with oil??

You need to partially fill them because they are emulsion/Aeration type shock.

meaning they have no bladder Full of air to compensate for when the piston shaft moves into the body and takes up space inside the shock displacing the oil.

this means the air to compensate for the shaft intrusion in the shock body must be in with the oil. 

you can tweek the amount of oil by building then checking without the spring of the shock shaft can fully compress. If it cannot then you’ve got hydraulic lock, you need to remove some oil, if it just plunges in and bottoms out too easily then add oil till there is a bit of resistance at end stroke. If there is too much resistance then the seals may potentially pop on a hard landing, unlikely on good quality shocks but cheap ones it’s certainly possible.

Juls

• Like 1

Hello,

a nice Member of the club will send me some Agrios shocks.

I want to install them on a Clod.

The Agrios Schocks are 90mm from what i have found.

The Clodbuster Pogos are 100mm

I want to archieve 110 or 120 mm.....

I do not see the Advantage of a Liftkit, they do not look very good, and i think they will bring a weakpint to the chassis.....

Is there a long Eyelet/rodend that fits on the original Tamiya Shock Rod?

I want 1-2 cm more Length.

All the aluminum Dampers that i have are Garbage, so i will stick to the Tamiya CVAs.

Also my Traxxas Shocks seem to be a bit leaky....

I never had (unused) leaky CVAs, they only leak if they are well driven in dirty conditions.

Does anyone know the standard thickness of tamiya shafts that are in the CVAs?

I`ve got a set of agrios shocks and want to put them in a Clod, but they are only 9cm eye to eye, i want to lenghten them to maybe 11 cm.

CVAs are waaaaaay better than my aluminium shocks