rc_ox

rc_ox's FJ40 CC01 Build

Wow, time flies. Sorry for the lack of posts - 1:1 life has been busy. The CC01 has had a few upgrades since my last update and done plenty of miles, I'll try and get this thread up to speed.

Here is a list of other upgrades and modifications made to the truck: 
  • Yeah Racing universal drive shafts were installed thus allowing me to trim the tabs off the c-hubs and get a little more throw in the steering. 
  • Yeah Racing steering upgrade - I found it hard to decide which brand to try. So far the YR setup has been great. I had to cut a tiny bit off the stock skid plate. I also made sure I added some loctite to all the metal on metal screws.
  • I shimmed the rear axle to reduce the slop/play and hopefully reduce slipping and increase the life of the gears. While I had it open I noticed a lot of dust worked it's way in. I added some marine grease to the edge of the axle housing to act as a seal and hopefully catch most of it before it get get to the gears.   
43426903080_0644c978b1_b.jpg

• I found a reasonably priced roof rack with lights on eBay. A mate put together a relay switch for me so I can control the roof rack lights remotely with CH3 on the transmitter.
39959445774_54010857e8_b.jpg
26797896538_dc3d509647_b.jpg
39959425514_2707dbc891_b.jpg

• I (finally) picked up a Hobbywing Quicrun rock crawler ESC - a fantastic upgrade to the truck. Very programmable - love the adjustable drag brake!
  • I didn't like seeing the internals through the window and I thought I would never get around to making an interior so I tinted them with Tamiya's Smoke PS-31. However this was a little trickier than I expected - I went a bit overboard and practically blacked out the windows. I was especially annoyed at blacking out the windscreen - who has a tinted windscreen!?!?!? Not happy with the result - I decided to use some Tamiya Polycarbonate Body Cleaner and elbow grease to remove most of it. I left some in the corners of the window which gave it a fogged up and grimy look. I also gave the exterior a matt finish with some Flat Clear PS-55 (masking the windows of course to keep them glossy). I was quite happy with the matt finish.
44329193445_768d76ff2e_b.jpg

• To get a "halogen glow" from the headlights, I coloured the bulbs with a yellow Sharpie. The result wasn't too bad - and it was cheaper than buying Tamiya's hop-up halogen bulbs. 
40285705270_2386509108_b.jpg

I'm still scratching my head on how to add a simple interior. I like Matteo's easy aluminium mesh interior with a Tamiya driver. I can't seem to find anything as lightweight as that at my local hardware store though. I'll keep scratching....

45189963642_e2c1e80c7a_b.jpg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you!! @PoormanRC 

Holy Smokes! You DID put some effort in. I can't believe the stock steering got a second shot! Well done and thanks for explaining how you did it. 

I'll admit, I spent a lot of hours reading through forum posts about CC01's and their upgrade needs. I lost a lot of sleep trying to decide on which steering kit to go with. They all seemed to fail one way or another. I even tried lubing the plastic bellcrank at one stage but not to the level you did. 

Dear old CC01 - it has copped a lot of flak over the years - especially when it's compared to crawlers like the SCX10's etc. I just finished building the TRX-4 kit a week ago (which I have to say was fantastic - Traxxas have hit it out of the park with this one). Yes, it has ridiculous steering and ground clearance, not to mention the lockable diffs and two speed transmission. However, I still love my CC01 - it got me back into the hobby and it has those scale "Tamiya good looks". As long as you don't expect it to climb like a mountain goat, you won't be disappointed. I think you become a better driver if you have to work hard to find the best line. Like my son's Grasshopper - ugh - that 2WD buggy with an open diff in gravel can really frustrate you if you just punch it all the time.

You know what Master Po says, "Patience, young Grasshopper." ;)

Edited by rc_ox
fixed auto-correct grammar mistake

That is one of the things I really like about my CC-01 Pajero - how it both looks and acts "scale". If an obstacle would stop a full-size Pajero, one 1/10th of the size would probably stop the model, so one follows a similar thought process when picking a line as one would if driving a full-size off road.

• Like 1

@PoormanRC Agreed - a couple of modifications can really improve their enjoyment level. I really like picking "CC01 tough" lines and having to take a couple of goes to clear it successfully. The open diff in the front and make things challenging at times. I thought about locking it but I don't want to lose any more steering - as there isn't a lot to spare to begin with ^_^      

@TurnipJF I'm with you there. If you can appreciate the "scale" nature of the model you will get more out of it. I love the Pajero body - a hardbody on the CC01 would look even more realistic - i.e. no polycarbonate wobble in those slo-mo videos ;) 

I follow you on instagram, I liked your rig so much, I basically mirrored your build. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Thanks 1

@volvotech wow, I'm flattered! Thank you very much - and - you're welcome!

What's your 'tag' on Instagram? Perhaps I already follow you? I'd like to see how your truck came out.