emspjay

How do you feel when you sell something from your collection?

So how do you feel when you sell something from your collection?? I am running out of storage room and need to sell a few buggy's to make space and free up some money for new projects. I find it very hard to part with stuff in my collection and spend hours trying to figure out what I'm going to sell, if I was still single and not married this would be no problem HAHA! I know what ever I sell is going to go to somebody else that will enjoy it. I just put two of my favorite buggy's on Ebay. I have sold many things in the past from my collection and sometimes regret it. I'm just interested about how everybody else thinks about it??

• Like 4

My first car was a DT03 Racing Fighter. I didn’t really gel with it very well, too much understeer. I do regret selling it, because it was my first buggy.

mSkQ8f9.jpg

I sold my Fy03 to buy a WLToys 12428. That was a good move.

There’s no way i’ll ever sell a Tamiya again.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! Great replies so far! Right now I only put up one Tamiya buggy and one Kyosho buggy but also thinking of putting up a few more. So hard to part with these things, I think I got the hoarder gene, LOL!

I’ve just sold a DF02 Buggy and it’s a relief... not that I hated that car ( I loved it in fact) but now it’s gone I have some free cash and I’m relieved of the burden/itch/compulsion to keep searching for hop ups and spares parts for it - which I always do for all my different 15-20 models... ahhh sanity is back for a time anyway ;)

If I too was single and childless I’d keep everything but time/space/money make that nigh on impossible.

• Like 1

It's harder for me to put things up for sale than to actually see them go. I think I'm going to miss it, but honestly, I don't properly remember half of the things I've sold over the years, so I guess I don't miss them.

The only time it becomes an issue is 2 or 5 or 10 years later, when I think "Hey, it wouldn't it be cool if I had...", and then remember that I did have one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Its strange, theres some ive sold i thought i would miss, and dont (bigwig, SRB) and then others i wasnt too bothered about and since found myself buying again (Ultima,  optima mid). I am contemplating having a bit of a sell off atm to raise funds too! 

• Like 1

I feel a strange-but-not-inexplicable emptiness. As I am no longer in the hobby as much as I used to be, selling only stresses me out when I deal with shipping fees and cutting a deal, followed by relief when it goes through. I never really settle down, though, until it is all over, i.e. when the buyer has the item and is satisfied with it.

I guess this means I have sold off everything I did not need - with the exception of my Lancia Rally shell, but that was due to extenuating circumstances. And besides, it went to a great home, so I am happy about that :)

Edit: And at this stage in my life when I am still starting a career, I definitely prefer the money!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Its strange, theres some ive sold i thought i would miss, and dont (bigwig, SRB) and then others i wasnt too bothered about and since found myself buying again (Ultima,  optima mid). I am contemplating having a bit of a sell off atm to raise funds too! 

I agree some in the past I don't really regret selling! I had a new built Bigwig that I sold right before the re-release so that was sweet! And then I also sold my first SRB a few months ago but those were before my time so not a big deal. Just put up two buggy's from my time so a little harder to part with, going to list one or two more soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grastens said:

I never really settle down, though, until it is all over, i.e. when the buyer has the item and is satisfied with it.

I know what you mean. I won't spend the funds out of Paypal until I get that "Thanks, I love it" message.

• Like 1

Before the Holidays I had over 40 cars and trucks in my collection. To be honest it started to feel a bit overwhelming. I could never decide what I wanted to run, so usually just ended up not running anything. Since the new year began, started a huge sell off only keeping the the ones I truly desire, I mean who really needs 4 lunch box's in every color? Now that I'm down to about 25, I really feel more connected to the remaining lot. I'd like to get it down to 15, and possibly outfit them all with brushless and lipo's, something I could never do with so many. I would say, lightening the load is going to allow me more time and funds to enjoy the lot I have

• Like 3

I sold my King Cab, probably over a decade ago now, along with the box, manual, new spares, and everything else, all in really good condition.  It was my first and only Tamiya (until somewhat recently of course).  I hate to think what it would cost to replace it now compared to what I sold it for.  I actually found it again while flipping through the King Cabs under the reader's rides section of this site, but I don't want to find out it's gone for good or look like I'm stalking the current owner.  :ph34r:

Rather than make that mistake again I'm content with owning a small number of cars that I really like, rather than going all out to have one of everything.  Plus I am trying to stick with more modern kits so I don't get sucked into collecting classics.  I look at some of the collections people have and I can't imagine myself with dozens stashed away, especially unopened ones.  Although, I did sell my M05 last year to justify buying an M07 and now I'm looking at getting another M05, so who knows where I'll be in a few more years?

• Like 1

I have been thinking of selling some recently, but just can't bring myself to do it.  Have about 40-50 at the moment (mostly Tamiya) and the wife doesn't bother me about them and don't need the money so I think I would regret selling.  My problem is building each one and outfitting it exactly as I want it then thinking its just too pretty to run and buy another so I can actually run it.  Then the same thing happens all over again, the new one is too nice to run as well...I still run a lot of my vehicles, but most just sit there on the shelf with full electronics looking pretty.  I definitely have a problem and I fully acknowledge that.

I've never actually sold a single RC, still have the original RC10 I received for my 13th birthday.  I have been wanting to sell just a few to see how I feel about it.  I don't need all I have and as a previous poster said, it would be nice to just concentrate on a few that I really enjoy rather than not running any due to not wanting to make a choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wait! What? :blink: 

I don't understand...  

You don't sell your children.

What are you guys on about? :wacko:

• Like 2

Deciding what to sell is the hard part for me. I guess I'm a natural born hoarder. Choosing which rc car/random electronic device/item of photographic gear that's been sat unused for a decade is like choosing which finger I want chopped off. I still have a cassette walkman and mini disc player somewhere!

Sometimes I just wish I could go nuts, grab the bin bags and dump a few tons of useless stuff but a little voice always says "you might need it one day" or "might as well sell it on ebay rather than bin it" but neither thing usually ends up happening lol.

• Like 1

i regret selling a manta ray i was converting into a top-force back in 1993 mind i did come away with a pair of jamo d5 laser power speakers i am planning on going to see the bloke i sold it to in the near future to see if he's still got it.

then i really regret selling my 58099 skyline a couple of years later.

then a i sold my t-maxx to make way for my revo witch i also regret doing that 

know i've learned my lesson and will not do it again 

• Like 1

I don’t even think I’ve made any money selling them off ...maybe broke even ... like an addiction Tamiya cars

• Like 1

I only sell to buy other cars so it's very rare I sell but I've just bought a egress and to help fund that purchase (because it definitely wasn't the bargain of a lifetime :rolleyes:) I've sold my RC10 and i wished I hadn't :unsure: don't get me wrong I'm over the moon I now have an egress but that rc10 was a excellent buggy and the kick in the teeth was it went for absolute peanuts:o so that's it for me I've been burned so to speak no more selling 

• Like 1

Thanks guys I love all the responses! I'm running out of room here and I actually have more closets full of R/C stuff than my wife has full of clothes! HAHA! Here is my justification for the two I am selling right now. 58051 Fox selling because I have a NIB Nova Fox, why have two? The first Kyosho Ultima selling before it gets possibly re-released. I have a re-release Optima and love the modern touches Kyosho did on those and will buy a Ultima if they re-release that. I'm also going to sell some more of my vintage boats, those really take up a lot of space. I also am now into things a will actually run and enjoy and not just see it sit on the shelf, the Fox and Ultima are very nice and I don't want to run them and beat the crap out of them. It's been cool to own them but I think I will be happier with something I'm not afraid to run. I also don't really need the money for other projects but it sure will help with my 58001 project (that is adding up). I got a few other ones I'm thinking of selling, original Clod and F201.

You're reasoning makes sense.  if you don't mind having the re-releases rather than the originals, might as well sell the originals.  

• Like 1

Hi guys. New here.

Sell rigs? I rarely sell without later regrets. Back in '02, built a Juggernaut2. It was a beast. E-Maxx trans and drivelines. Custom wheel wideners. 1950's panel truck body. Didn't drive it much so i sold it. The list goes on. RC10DS roller. Had it for over 10yrs w/o doing much to it. Sold. Custom IFS Wraith. Sold. Stampede with rare ThunderTech Racing carbon fiber chassis. Sold. About 3 different HPI RS4 MT's. Each was purchased to replace one that was sold before it. All sold. I really miss the last MT. It was sick. Losi Trekker with Lindberg Hilux body. Sold.

Each sale has had its regrets, but i can't keep them all.

Tamiya fever is on now tho. My first rig was a Blackfoot back in the mid 80's. My brother is holding on to that one. Recently, i fell in love with short wheelbased rigs. 2 GF01's and one WR02 are permanent aquisitions now. A second WR02 may be on the way and i am searching for another GF. So cool. So fun.

Its  a sickness.

The only cars I have sold were as a teenager to fund the next purchase and the only one I really regret is the Boomerang.

Now I have kept the collection to a manageable number, currently 10. 4 of those are racers, 3 are my sons, 1 is a vintage, 2 have become loaners (including one of my sons) so that just leaves my rere Boomerang. I will sell the Kyosho race buggies when its time to upgrade (I think) but will probably keep the onroad cars even if I upgrade. Buy a new body for the TRF102 to sit on a shelf, run the TA07 as an onroad car.

But I think new additions will be few and far between now, and I'm happy with that as i have the ones I really want

On 2/11/2018 at 11:35 AM, moffman said:

I only sell to buy other cars so it's very rare I sell but I've just bought a egress and to help fund that purchase (because it definitely wasn't the bargain of a lifetime :rolleyes:) I've sold my RC10 and i wished I hadn't :unsure: don't get me wrong I'm over the moon I now have an egress but that rc10 was a excellent buggy and the kick in the teeth was it went for absolute peanuts:o so that's it for me I've been burned so to speak no more selling 

The American stuff usually doesn't sell well, unless its a A stamped Cadillac RC10. If you look on eBay, a vintage gold pan can be had for $125, usually almost RTR in really good shape. I have a mint re-re RC10 Worlds sitting here, but will not sell because I know that I'd be lucky to get $100 for it.

• Like 1