JNSD1

Kyosho Turbo Optima Mid

Well, my beloved is back in my hands after digging her out of the parent's garage! So far, I have most of the parts but am missing some bits (am going to dig and see if I missed any parts again tomorrow).

The question is, do any of the re-re Optima parts translate to the Optima Mid or are they quite different?

I looked on ebay for wheels and other bits and MAN it's offensive how expensive they are... Thoughts welcomed from the Kyosho Illuminati! 

39302481665_d47c0c56a1_k.jpg

25328981627_c12b02803f_k.jpg

39302480865_d8f9daa6ba_k.jpg

39302480845_988c946f4a_k.jpg

25328982017_5c1611ea71_k.jpg

39302482905_5e248bb5eb_k.jpg 

25328982397_d8113db75f_z.jpg

3 hours ago, JNSD1 said:

The question is, do any of the re-re Optima parts translate to the Optima Mid or are they quite different?

I looked on ebay for wheels and other bits and MAN it's offensive how expensive they are... Thoughts welcomed from the Kyosho Illuminati! 39302480845_988c946f4a_k.jpg 

Mid hasn't been re-re'd, they've only done the earlier generation "chain drive" Optima (and gave it a belt upgrade option) but afaik nothing's interchangeable chassis parts wise with Mid... Mid spares are prefixed "OT" aren't they?

Wheels should fit fine, can use any hex hub wheel even Egress wheels. Or get newer 2.2" wheels with lots more rubber choice. 

The original style Pug205T16 Mid wheels haven't been remade so they're scarce; then again even brandnew BiTD Kyosho bits were never cheap. -_- 

Did you purchase your Mid in Melbourne back then? Any memories where from?

• Like 1

I believe all kyoshos production moulds etc, were destroyed,  so the re re optima was a ground up new car that i believe doesn't even share alot of parts with the original (unlike tamiya re re).

Mid wise,  parts are still out there, you just need to check auction sites / sale sites on a regular basis,  and things like shock towers can be bought as new in carbon fibre. Schumacher still make a selection of usable 2" tyres,  if you want to keep the car looking right 🙄. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WillyChang said:

Mid hasn't been re-re'd, they've only done the earlier generation "chain drive" Optima (and gave it a belt upgrade option) but afaik nothing's interchangeable chassis parts wise with Mid... Mid spares are prefixed "OT" aren't they?

Wheels should fit fine, can use any hex hub wheel even Egress wheels. Or get newer 2.2" wheels with lots more rubber choice. 

The original style Pug205T16 Mid wheels haven't been remade so they're scarce; then again even brandnew BiTD Kyosho bits were never cheap. -_- 

Did you purchase your Mid in Melbourne back then? Any memories where from?

Yeah, my dream is that they do re-re it, but from current timelines and best guesses that'll be in 2019 (maybe!). It was a stunning car, drove so, so well. I beat it for years (as you can see) and finally took parts off it to go onto my Kyosho Nissan Skyline GTR nitro on-road. 

The main wear issues are the belt, rear gears (small stones would sneak in through the belt and cause me a lot of issues). The front shock tower snapped so it needs to be replaced, the wheels obviously are trashed...

I am a traditionalist though, and really want period correct wheels and tires (missed out on the crowdfunded block pattern tires and wheels that Kyosho did last year, which also looked like they never got it done as there wasn't enough support, they should have promoted it properly, not just to the Japanese market :(https://camp-fire.jp/projects/view/41979

Can get some bits from Shapeways as well apparently, but I read some dodgy things about the Shapeways guy so am unsure if it's legit or not - http://theoptimahouse.blogspot.com.au/2014/11/ot-93-optima-mid-bumper-replacement-3d.html Bumper - $30, Steering knuckles $23.52...

Body set - $40 - http://www.marwanrc.com/product.sc?productId=35&categoryId=2

Belt covers (not tinted, unfortunately) - $12  http://www.marwanrc.com/product.sc?productId=80&categoryId=2

To get it to where it needs to be would probably cost $400+ I think. Hmmm, maybe the waiting game for a re-re is the only option... Gah.

As for purchasing in Melbourne, yep sure did and sure do. I got it from Hobby Place on Lonsdale St. They stocked a lot more Kyosho than Hearns Hobbies did. The owner is still burnt in my mind as one of the lest welcoming and grumpiest people I've ever met. Astonishing he ran a retail store. These days I'm glad to say that Metro Hobbies is a fantastic physical store that I would have loved as a kid, their prices are awesome and they carry so much stock. Great to see.

17 minutes ago, JNSD1 said:

The front shock tower snapped so it needs to be replaced, the wheels obviously are trashed...

I snapped my front shock tower (frp),  couldnt find any, so decided to go carbon, messaged a seller on ebay and ended up with a genuine frp for £10! (and a carbon set for the Ultima), so ask about, and you should find one.

17 minutes ago, JNSD1 said:

I am a traditionalist though, and really want period correct wheels and tires

As i mentioned, schumacher still make them, and what i raced with bitd. 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?CategoryID=9960&SubCategoryID=996010&ManufacturerID=51&CategoryID=9960&MSAttributeID[58]=713&MSAttributeID[63]=871

Although marwan does repo tyres.

http://www.marwanrc.com/product.sc?productId=77&categoryId=4

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

I snapped my front shock tower (frp),  couldnt find any, so decided to go carbon, messaged a seller on ebay and ended up with a genuine frp for £10! (and a carbon set for the Ultima), so ask about, and you should find one.

As i mentioned, schumacher still make them, and what i raced with bitd. 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?CategoryID=9960&SubCategoryID=996010&ManufacturerID=51&CategoryID=9960&MSAttributeID[58]=713&MSAttributeID[63]=871

Although marwan does repo tyres.

http://www.marwanrc.com/product.sc?productId=77&categoryId=4

Apologies didn't have a Google for them. They look like a great option considering price and availability of the Block Tires that I really want! Any ideas if someone has made the rims again? Also, has anyone put the rims / tires in the dishwasher for a deep clean before? Risky I know, but I've cleaned a lot of stuff over the years in there and it works well on lots of things!

Funnily enough its the (blue) blocks im running on mine atm, although ive the mini spike and full spike to try now too. 

16 minutes ago, JNSD1 said:

has anyone put the rims / tires in the dishwasher for a deep clean before?

I found they came up ok with washing up liquid and a tooth brush, but they werent that bad.

The ebay seller 

http://m.ebay.co.uk/sch/rcwingsnwheels/m.html?isRefine=true&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_mwBanner=1

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Funnily enough its the (blue) blocks im running on mine atm, although ive the mini spike and full spike to try now too. 

I found they came up ok with washing up liquid and a tooth brush, but they werent that bad.

The ebay seller 

http://m.ebay.co.uk/sch/rcwingsnwheels/m.html?isRefine=true&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_mwBanner=1

Awesome thanks, have reached out that eBay member, he got right back to me and has them all!

I've gone hunting and have found the front bumper and the other side of the rear diff (thank God). However, I have definitely lost the rear centre gear (OT-85 Centre Gear) which is clearly critical. Apart from being extorted on eBay, any other suggestions to source one?

This is also very interesting if you want to restore yellowed plastic - http://www.retr0bright.com/ 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU7vXMezW_I

• Like 1

Result!! 👍 

If youre keeping it original, you'll just have to keep searching while your building, theres an alloy spur on ebay atm?

I know a few people are making their own shafts using modern slippers though.

Good luck with the build 👍

3 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Result!! 👍 

If youre keeping it original, you'll just have to keep searching while your building, theres an alloy spur on ebay atm?

I know a few people are making their own shafts using modern slippers though.

Good luck with the build 👍

Definitely not bent on all original by any stretch of the imagination, (or budget!) don't mind internal gears to be aftermarket at all! Am hunting for Thor it MIP as apparently they made them as well. Very happy to get anything that has been made by 3D printing or aftermarket people, get's far too expensive if you want NOS, the cars just aren't worth it to me when the re-re's are only a matter of a year or so away.

Well, the ordering/negotiations begin! Have been on eBay until all hours. If people are interested the Carbon Fiber plates are the following thicknesses:

OTW-2 SPECIAL SHOCK STAY

Front Shock Stay - 2.5mm

Rear Shock Stay - 2mm

Upper Rod Plate - 2.5mm

OT-110 REAR PLATE - 1.5mm

OT-92 UPPER DECK - 1.5mm

I've been told they're all in Matte Finish as well, i'll have to take their word for it as have never seen gloss next to them! ;)

Also, does anyone know how the heck this master got the logos on the tires? Looks like spray paint! 

14500221_1284917474853678_49236325655545

14525220_1284913574854068_37047563258650

It looks like it has been given the wear on this image:

13220624_1175319812480112_37303760645561

Would LOVE to know how this is done and with what paint. Amazing.

On 12 February 2018 at 7:55 AM, JNSD1 said:

Yeah, my dream is that they do re-re it, but from current timelines and best guesses that'll be in 2019 (maybe!). It was a stunning car, drove so, so well. I beat it for years (as you can see) and finally took parts off it to go onto my Kyosho Nissan Skyline GTR nitro on-road. 

As for purchasing in Melbourne, yep sure did and sure do. I got it from Hobby Place on Lonsdale St. They stocked a lot more Kyosho than Hearns Hobbies did. The owner is still burnt in my mind as one of the lest welcoming and grumpiest people I've ever met. Astonishing he ran a retail store. These days I'm glad to say that Metro Hobbies is a fantastic physical store that I would have loved as a kid, their prices are awesome and they carry so much stock. Great to see.

haha that would be Ron & Don @ HobbyPlace :lol: yeah not one but TWO :blink:

Metro is great, but where Metro originally started (#424a) was previously site of ABC Hobby... who were huge on Kyosho in the early 1990s.

You got a ScaleSeries Calsonic GTR32 too, huh? B) 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JNSD1 said:

Ok, just bought one of these as the replacement belt - it looks thicker than mine is, but he said they are 4mm (I think mine is under that, about 3.5mm - Anyhow, for the price very good:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyosho-VINTAGE-OPTIMA-Toothed-belt-240XL-replace-OT-89/273065973746?hash=item3f940017f2:g:sRIAAOSw-JJagSi6

39319944855_9db5f55617_k.jpg

Rubber "timing" Belts are industrial commodity not made by Kyosho afaik. 

Count how many teeth on yours & they'll most likely be 3mm pitch as common in Japan. There's printing on the belt outside as to its specs but might've worn off by idler/tensioner.

There were also a lot of aftermarket belts BiTD, made from Kevlar or aramid or nylon for lower drag/friction. Haven't seen much new ones of these lately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JNSD1 said:

Also, does anyone know how the heck this master got the logos on the tires? Looks like spray paint! 

14500221_1284917474853678_49236325655545

14525220_1284913574854068_37047563258650

It looks like it has been given the wear on this image:

13220624_1175319812480112_37303760645561

Would LOVE to know how this is done and with what paint. Amazing.

They come like that from factory afaik <_< white painted WITH BITS MISSING :unsure: it's been a while since Tomahawk landed, haven't looked at it again since to see if more paint has flaked off.

dunno if somebody tinted the ones on the Scorpions, looks yellower than usual white. Might be just camera white balance being off.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, WillyChang said:

haha that would be Ron & Don @ HobbyPlace :lol: yeah not one but TWO :blink:

Metro is great, but where Metro originally started (#424a) was previously site of ABC Hobby... who were huge on Kyosho in the early 1990s.

You got a ScaleSeries Calsonic GTR32 too, huh? B) 

Nope got the Calsonic GTR 1/10 scale nitro -near impossible to find a photo online of it, this is the body: 39489044454_7f897e4708_k.jpg 

Has the Calsonic body. I made a bumper when the original broke and took the Optima mid shocks and steering, which have now all come back off!

9 hours ago, JNSD1 said:

Nope got the Calsonic GTR 1/10 scale nitro -near impossible to find a photo online of it, this is the body: 39489044454_7f897e4708_k.jpg 

Has the Calsonic body. I made a bumper when the original broke and took the Optima mid shocks and steering, which have now all come back off!

yeah that's the one... Mid suspension with a .10 nitro donk stuffed in between... I love the 2 tiny little drive belts :D 

I've been slowly accumulating bits to restore mine, nearly 20yrs haha. 

Isn't the nitro car also part of ScaleSeries? There's electric 4WD (Mid based) and electric 2WD (Ultima based), before they went to that modular chassis.

• Like 1

God in the very expensive hunt and purchase of parts, I have now stumbled upon these old block tires that stopped being produced from what I can tell in 2014?

They look like faithful re-productions of what all us Kyosho fans want, anyone have any information on them?

https://www.cmc-versand.de/en/Kyosho/Reifen-1-10-Spikes-mittel-ID54-B35-2--arnr-1-W-5031KY

Found that these were the guys who did them: https://www.aviotiger-germany.de/contacts/index/

Have reached out to see what the deal is....

1-W-5031KY-h-9882c3.jpg

On 13/02/2018 at 2:37 PM, WillyChang said:

They come like that from factory afaik <_< white painted WITH BITS MISSING :unsure: it's been a while since Tomahawk landed, haven't looked at it again since to see if more paint has flaked off.

dunno if somebody tinted the ones on the Scorpions, looks yellower than usual white. Might be just camera white balance being off.

Yep you're right, stumbled upon this: https://rctoymemories.com/2016/08/28/a-quick-guide-to-vintage-vs-remake-kyosho-rc-kits/

• Like 1

Trouble with the Kyosho re-res, they're not like Tamiya re-res where parts will retrofit... Kyosho is more a homage/recreation and only look the same - until compared side by side with original.

i too recently repossessed my 1982 Beetle from childhood :) ... unlike yours mine escaped being scabbed for parts so everything's there survived intact... just totally shagged from its daily abuse in kiddy hands. Everything's wornout... except the tyres :lol: 

And none of the new remade parts look same enough to restore it with. :( 

Same with chaindrive Optima... have a bitzer here missing a few bits, thought I'd try getting new bits from new Optima but they either don't look right &/or it's not easy to find sellers with stock of the bits I'm wanting... plus the bill seems to be totalling close to a whole Optima kit anyway so "why bother" :unsure:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WillyChang said:

Trouble with the Kyosho re-res, they're not like Tamiya re-res where parts will retrofit... Kyosho is more a homage/recreation and only look the same - until compared side by side with original.

i too recently repossessed my 1982 Beetle from childhood :) ... unlike yours mine escaped being scabbed for parts so everything's there survived intact... just totally shagged from its daily abuse in kiddy hands. Everything's wornout... except the tyres :lol: 

And none of the new remade parts look same enough to restore it with. :( 

Same with chaindrive Optima... have a bitzer here missing a few bits, thought I'd try getting new bits from new Optima but they either don't look right &/or it's not easy to find sellers with stock of the bits I'm wanting... plus the bill seems to be totalling close to a whole Optima kit anyway so "why bother" :unsure:

I didn't realise that parts weren't overly interchangeable until yesterday. I got a very nice note from the fella that runs the Optima House who is helping me with this project and he let me know that the OT-4 King Pins that fit into the aluminium knuckle arms that look identical to the re-re Optima aluminium knuckle arms, in fact, have a different hole size so you can't use them if you want to use the original kingpins. I have however decided to buy them regardless as the price is far too good!

The price I am now up to already is in the ballpark of a new buggy, which is distressing but also in the category of "whatever" as I'm having fun doing it. I'm keeping a detailed list of parts, suppliers and costs so that I can put it on here when done so others may benefit. The way I'm doing it is far more painful than others would do it, but it'll save a bit of money as I'm dealing with a lot of different suppliers to yield the best result to cost ratio!

Anyone ever re-anodised their gold shocks? It feels like a risky move (colour matching, thread issues blah blah) but man mine look tired and thrashed. Also the actual springs look terrible... Can you spray them or is that futile?

26398911298_4ab33fa0d6_k.jpg

Also saw this on the bay: http://ebay.to/2BWXA0J

Restored new anodised chassis.... be very curious if anyone's done that! Seems far less risky than the shocks.

Also realised that the Nissan Skyline GTR wheels are the same as the Turbo Optima Mid SE ones... hmmmmmmmmmmm

38461013010_d8ce74fa28_k.jpg

10 hours ago, JNSD1 said:

Also realised that the Nissan Skyline GTR wheels are the same as the Turbo Optima Mid SE ones... hmmmmmmmmmmm

38461013010_d8ce74fa28_k.jpg

Yup, White & some came silver I think. Mid, Turbo Mid, SE, sSE etc etc 

peugeot-205-gti-sells-for-record-38k-at-

• Like 1