MrDGH111

Boomerang 1986 ish Motor Expired - What can I replace with

Ok, it was bound to happen, something was going to go !

So the 30 ish years old Boomerang only lasted a couple of runs (3 actually). All I’d done in preparation for its re-launch was to buy and fit a new 4400mAh battery, all seemed good til the last run, there was a funny burning smell then STOP !

One of the wires to the motor had come unsoldered (maybe cos the motor was soooooooo hot !) but on reconnecting nothing was happening.

Anyway, removed the motor to find that it looks like some kind of internal bearing has broken up maybe ?

Ok, so what motor can I replace it with ? And from where ?

B08C89D5-A903-4ACF-8046-36234856BB85.jpeg

D133244D-D2D3-47F8-B5D6-3D75F62E0AD1.jpeg

946F969A-46ED-47B4-8B90-42C0BB62EAEE.jpeg

For a new equivalent search eBay for "Tamiya 540" and pick one of the silver coloured ones. Should be fairly inexpensive.

For a little bit of an upgrade you could opt for one of the "sport tuned" options that will also be listed. A bit faster but more expensive.

Anything that is a 540 or 3650 size will work (both mean the same thing, the 3650 is the measurements of the motor and works out to be a 540 size).

Do you want it faster or just another one like it came with?  Like Peter said, the 540 silvercan is the stock motor but you can fit something much faster for not much more.  There are cheap 20T motors out there as well which the MSC should handle ok, or you can swap to an ESC which means you can choose brushed or brushless motors.  I run a 13.5T / 3040kv brushless in my rere Boomerang with a 17T pinion and it goes really well and the chassis can handle it.  Note that mine is a rerelease though so its all brand new plastics etc, you may want to stick with something a bit more mild for an original.

On 11/02/2018 at 7:34 PM, Jonathon Gillham said:

Anything that is a 540 or 3650 size will work (both mean the same thing, the 3650 is the measurements of the motor and works out to be a 540 size).

Do you want it faster or just another one like it came with?  Like Peter said, the 540 silvercan is the stock motor but you can fit something much faster for not much more.  There are cheap 20T motors out there as well which the MSC should handle ok, or you can swap to an ESC which means you can choose brushed or brushless motors.  I run a 13.5T / 3040kv brushless in my rere Boomerang with a 17T pinion and it goes really well and the chassis can handle it.  Note that mine is a rerelease though so its all brand new plastics etc, you may want to stick with something a bit more mild for an original.

Thanks Jonathon, Yes faster would be welcomed [as always] but i really dont want to end up breaking something else because of my 'greed for speed' lol. ive taken a look and there are loads out there and im really not sure which to opt for, any pointers [links maybe] ?

Edited by MrDGH111
spelling mistake

On 11/02/2018 at 10:22 PM, Wooders28 said:

That motor is toast, even melted the bush!  👍 

I went for a hpi firebolt,  runs quite well, but you'll need a hardened pinion and if youre going for an esc, a 1060.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-firebolt-15t-motor-540-type-/rc-car-products/29609

Thanks for the answer, yes it has got hot hasnt it, strange too when i disassembled it i noticed that the green wire was to yellow and the yellow wire was to green ??? Im guessing all this would of done would of reversed the motor ??? What i mean is moving the joystick forward must of sent the car in reverse and vice versa ? Cant think why that was necessary but it was 30+ years ago and i probs. just found it as an instant solution maybe ?

Ref. your info. about the 'HPI' option - I dont really want to have to start changing too many things [or risk putting stress on the rest of this vintage] so just a quick and easy motor replacement i think will be the way to go, plus if i keep the speed down i have an excuse ready for when my 6 year old gets behind the wheel of his own and starts 'kickin my ***' lol.

Already asked this question but because there are so many options out there which standard motor would you go with, what i mean is which suppliers have you guys had most success with ?

What you have there is a bog-standard silver can. (Named after its silver can-enclosure. Makes sense, doesn't it?)

They still make 'em, and they're not expensive. A new silver can shouldn't be more than €15 (or your local currency equivalent). That motor will then power your car for many more years.

Plenty of good options out there, hobbyking practically give away 27t silver cans, the goolrc ones as posted above, very good quality motors for the price. 

The replacement 15T 550 motor for the FTX Vantage/Carnage/Bugsta is only about £7.99, tried one in my boomerang once and it was like a rocket off the line! My closest hobby shop carries them so I always have a couple laying around for when I need something cheap and gutsy. They run quite cool as well because they have a fan and a little extra size to dissipate heat vs a 540.

The GooRC isn't much more though and benefits from full rebuildability.