Sign in to follow this  
E28_M5

Clear lexan re-re Brat shell on a Monster Beetle?

I’m thinking about the above on my MB as a basher shell. I’ve recently bought a Kamtec beetle shell but the detailing is so poor I can’t bring myself to spend time/money painting it, even as a basher.

Apart from needing to buy the appropriate Brat F parts rear body mounts, will it essentially fit straight on (I.e. no height problems with the MB front body mount?) or is there anything else I need to know from those who may have done this already?

Thank you.

Done a bit more research via the Mudblaster and re-re Brat manuals online, and it looks to be a straightforward fit using the F parts.

yes I was looking at this too and found a few with it done already looks tidy , basic the mud blaster

I am also looking at this, hence my wanted post for a Brat shell. 

From what I can work out, the front mount will be fine but the rear ones from the F sprue will be off as they are designed for the hard body which required lower mounts than the clear. 

Hmm yes, looks like you need to increase the height of the rear post mounts for the lexan body.

I’ve just realised I have some Blackfoot rear mounts - they’re about 20mm taller than the Brat F parts and should do the job nicely.

The rerelease brat has the longer mounts in the kit for the polycarbonate body, so you will need to use those.

33 minutes ago, berman said:

The rerelease brat has the longer mounts in the kit for the polycarbonate body, so you will need to use those.

Those are the F parts mentioned, which are too short to use on the Monster Beetle.

There is two sets of rear mounts for the rerelease brat, one short set for the hard bodies recessed tray, and a longer set for the raised  toolbox looking bit of the polycarbonate body. If the polycarbonate bodies rear mounts are too short, then there must be something up with the front mount your are using.

I bought one a few years ago although it’s looking a bit tired now! They are hugely more detailed than the Kamtec Sand Scorcher shells and better quality lexan.

494B2F18-5B07-4210-9C35-E6E8E7A11242.jpeg

On 01/03/2018 at 3:32 AM, berman said:

There is two sets of rear mounts for the rerelease brat, one short set for the hard bodies recessed tray, and a longer set for the raised  toolbox looking bit of the polycarbonate body. If the polycarbonate bodies rear mounts are too short, then there must be something up with the front mount your are using.

That is the problem identified with using the polycarbonate Brat body on the MB - due to the height of the front suspension mounts (and consequently the standard front body mount on the MB), the longer re-re Brat rear body mounts are still too short.

However, this afternoon I solved it by chopping the top 20mm off the longer Brat polycarbonate F part mounts and bonding them to original Blackfoot rear body mounts (that are fortunately included with the MB kit!). The overall height is now correct to my eye:

I’m looking forward to getting it painted - will update here when it’s done.

CF4AFC00-20A0-4870-B66B-EB65BDFF8AB3.jpeg

6886F1B0-AF22-4829-8A34-D50F79419E6B.jpeg

3628567F-F875-402C-B29B-64F6CC7984F4.jpeg

6DA64559-D2DB-47A2-B1AF-5B42F612D4AD.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks good - I shall steal your plan. How have you joined the 2 mounts together to ensure strength? 

At the moment they’re superglued and then wrapped with some very strong black tape. I’m not anticipating any problems as it won’t be doing anything too harsh tbh.

Well that took me longer than anticipated to get it painted :lol:

Finished the shell over the last couple of days - metallic blue backed with silver really pops in the sunshine.

E6ECE75F-FB69-4D4D-80BE-49A8DE4CD4C1.jpeg

F6C664EB-80B6-4B1A-8B01-0431235BD0D2.jpeg

B4E5F613-8980-44B6-849F-9B724A1BF27E.jpeg

8A3F8ECD-FDC3-4748-A982-74C91078F4EC.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks great :)

ive just painted mine today - slightly different approach but I may put it on my totally trashed beetle ;)

uUYNLxA.jpg

21O2nPe.jpg

JJ

• Like 2