Ann3x

Super Astute & Dyna Storm Parts

*Updated 5th June 2018 with Super Astute Gearbox

For a while now I've been restoring old RCs and kinda got sick of not being able to find certain parts. So, after a little prompting, I decided to learn 3D modeling and start creating my own versions of  some hard to find parts.

For now, Ive been focusing on Super Astute and Dyna Storm parts but I'll probably cover other models as/when I restore them. Check out my shapeways store "VRC" here. I've test printed and iterated all of these parts (few in pipeline still) and they all fit properly and actually "work". They aren't identical to the original parts but they fit and work fine.

Where another part is available (eg the ORBracing DS parts) I'm not going to bother re-making unless I can significantly improve them. For anything else, I'm up for it :).

Obviously many of the Super Astute parts are also cross compatible with the Astute, King Cab, Hilux Monster Racer, Mad Cap, Saint Dragon etc.

Here are my current offerings:

Dyna Storm Parts:

Gear Case Cover & Plug:

VRC Dyna Storm - E3 - Gear Case Cover 3d printed

Super Astute Parts:

Gear Box Cover: (replaces the dust leaking lexan version)

39558107034_119ca063d4_k.jpg

39558107634_1913a078ab_z.jpg

26396985518_1d45d2edca_k.jpg

Gear Box Plug (note, fits original lexan case currently, alternative version for VRC case coming shortly)

25398690057_c64c2b2255_k.jpg

25398689507_e26558cb23_h.jpg

Gear Box Base:

25398671757_cb9dba2f73_k.jpg

40224969602_8cf604643d_k.jpg

Front Battery Holder (stick pack):

39558237434_e923df500c_k.jpg

40269131201_2a61497f80_k.jpg

Front Battery Holder (Lipo pack - note needs low profile servo):

39725688445_48625f3f76_c.jpg

39725687495_352ca2ea60_c.jpg

Rear Battery Holder:

39558107254_c69d1658dd_z.jpg

Battery Strap:

26396985268_b378884242_z.jpg

Battery Pin (also fits DynaStorm):

26396985008_bd4f7202bf_z.jpg

Gearbox (see thread here):

27728418757_2f1d0beaed_c.jpg

• Like 3

I'm still working on a few parts including:

• A hardcase Lipo Super Astute front battery holder (will fit cuboid lipos but needs low-profile servo)
  • A new Gearbox plug for the VRC SA Case (currently original plug fits fine but 3d version is too loose on the hard case)
  • Dyna Storm slipper hub (replaces the heavy metal part)

Who knows, I have some other more out there plans too! :)

Will post here as/when they come out of prototype.

• Like 1

These look great. Given the models reputation for weak transmission, what about a transmission housing that will fit a modern tamiya differential?

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

These look great. Given the models reputation for weak transmission, what about a transmission housing that will fit a modern tamiya differential?

A sealed gear diff is on my list to attempt - the issue is the gears themselves.

1. I'm not sure if 3d printed ones will hold up.
  2. If not, then ill have to work out a way to use an existing diff (eg TA-06) with either
    1. the either right pitch & tooth count or
    2. substitutes for all internal gears and a modded housing to enclose (either way).

Either option is complicated but potentially doable.

Any ideas, please do suggest.

8 hours ago, Ann3x said:

A sealed gear diff is on my list to attempt - the issue is the gears themselves.

1. I'm not sure if 3d printed ones will hold up.
  2. If not, then ill have to work out a way to use an existing diff (eg TA-06) with either
    1. the either right pitch & tooth count or
    2. substitutes for all internal gears and a modded housing to enclose (either way).

Either option is complicated but potentially doable.

Any ideas, please do suggest.

I wasn't thinking of modifying the diff itself. I was thinking modified outer transmission casing A parts which would move the shafts to allow the installation of a modern diff complete.  No 3d printed gears at all. Totally do away with the Astute diff. 

Super Astute gears seem to be 0.5 mod so i have no idea what modern drivetrain uses this, but the Astute diff is 0.8 mod. The DT03 diff is also 0.8 mod and has a ball diff option. No idea how the size compares to the astute diff though.

Yeah, that's roughly #2.2 that I listed in my post....

What we'd need to find would be:

• A modern transmission (likely to stay in production a while with good spares availability)
  • 3 Gear gearbox configuration (so rotation is right direction)
  • Slipper (most of them)
  • Sealed gear diff (most of the higher end ones)
  • Outdrives similar length (~ 55mm) to King Cab (& Astute) that will fit Tamiya bogbones

If we can find the above then making a Gearbox housing compatible with all of the Astute lineage should be doable.

• Like 1

If you're talking the whole transmission (which is probably wise) something other than tamiya might be the place to look. I looked at sourcing TRF201 internals and they aren't that common and pretty expensive. I have no idea about other brands or race cars with slippers and the like but in the UK Schumacher parts seem to be easy enough to come by.

Yeah, other option is TA-06/M-06 gears. Ill have a think. As i said, its already on my list to look at but is likely a long term project.

It would be great to have a gearbox that looks similar from the outside, but actually houses modern gears that are easy to find and also a modern slipper with readily available spurgears. Anything from a Associated B6, Yokomo YZ2 or maybe even old RC10 stuff would work well.

Great work so far! Another good step towards getting more Dynastorms out on track.

• Like 1

Was just looking at this again at lunchtime (as I missed out on a cheap Madcap last night I've been thinking about these cars again!). The TRF201/211 drivetrain is still relatively cheaply available and is 48dp which is commonly used. It seems it shares quite a lot of parts with the TA06 which you mentioned (diff gear and idler gear). The parts seem fairly readily available and not bad price, so a revised transmission case 3D printed to mount the TRF201 gearset and use the 201 aluminium motor mount would be cool.

I've actually ordered a Schumacher cougar kr to scavenge parts from, nice kit but 2013 vintage so not sure on longevity and part by part it's quite expensive (cheaper to buy the kit and sell extra parts in fact). 

Will have a play and see. 

• Like 1

Very nice parts man! Do you plan to construct anything for the TR-15T? Always interestet in aftermarket parts on this model ;)

9 hours ago, Collin said:

Very nice parts man! Do you plan to construct anything for the TR-15T? Always interestet in aftermarket parts on this model ;)

Anything specific? Many of the orb racing parts are compatible.... 

Its true, ORB covers a lot and I have all their parts as an upgrade. What I really looking for is a rear bumper. There was a 3rd party hop-up but it seems to be really rare thing. Maybe both front and rear arms?

Aaaah battery trays and the rear gear cover....... you're a genius !

The more 3D parts I see, the more I want to build another Astute Hybrid.  Resistance is useless !

8 hours ago, Boomerang_kid said:

Following this, I am keen on some Super Astute front and rear arms! :D

I have added to "Ze list". Not sure if I have SA arms to copy from tho.... I definitely have Madcap and Astute, will check.

I am sitting on a mint Super Astute, it has a broken front arm and I refuse to fit the madcap arms I have, do you want to copy Super Astute arms to be printed? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

I am sitting on a mint Super Astute, it has a broken front arm and I refuse to fit the madcap arms I have, do you want to copy Super Astute arms to be printed? 

That might be very useful. Let me check my own spares pile 1st but if I don't have, could be ideal. 

It might mean you don't have the arms for a while btw (can take a few print's to get things right). 

Anyway 1st things 1st, I'll check my spares. 

Time isn't an issue, let me know if you need them.

Ive added today a lipo version of the super astute front tray. It's a few mm longer so that it can accept new style lipo packs (you need to use a low profile servo tho too):

39725687495_352ca2ea60_c.jpg

39725688445_48625f3f76_c.jpg

• Like 1

I have my Super Astute arms I can lend you. Seeing as I'm in the UK, it would cheaper for me to send these to you. I'm not in a hurry for you to do your R&D. :)

Quality takes time, and if it benefits the wider Super/astute/madcap/king cab/monster racer community, I'm all for it.

PM me. 

2 hours ago, Boomerang_kid said:

I have my Super Astute arms I can lend you. Seeing as I'm in the UK, it would cheaper for me to send these to you. I'm not in a hurry for you to do your R&D. :)

Quality takes time, and if it benefits the wider Super/astute/madcap/king cab/monster racer community, I'm all for it.

PM me. 

Thanks for the offers (both of you). I will do arms for sure but will get the gearbox completed 1st. Will work out whose arms I'm borrowing once it gets to top of the queue :).

FYI - The Super Astute Gearbox Plug (A5) is now cross compatible with my replacement hard gearbox cover AND the original/TBG Lexan cover.

• Like 2