Starting something a little different. LWB WR02 w/ a pretty rare ABC M-chassis Cooper truck. Extending the chassis by 45mm. It will be a basher. I bought the body used and it ended up rougher than expected. Still cool tho.

20180209_093250.jpg

20180215_122059.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Making the template out of clear poly made it easy to transfer to aluminum. The only other things i needed to make was 8, 4mm spacers. No cutting of the original chassis was involved.

20180217_202230.jpg

• Like 3

There's a set on eBay right now, but i'm not willing to pay $60 for it. I may make a carbon fiber version of my own soon.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, 808da6 said:

There's a set on eBay right now, but i'm not willing to pay $60 for it.

Agreed with you there! When I stretched a WR-02, I thought the same thing, but I was not so advanced as to use aluminum, let alone carbon fibre :P The carbon set, even if it was in stock, was ambiguous at times about the extent of its extension, and ultimately did not provide the correct dimensions for my work.

It is great that these chassis can be extended, as it gives a durable, easily-serviced platform for projects.

I like it!

And I can't help but think this would be a much better option [for Tamiya to do] than the CW-01 chassis for the Pumpkin and Lunchbox too?

Jx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JennyMo said:

I like it!

And I can't help but think this would be a much better option [for Tamiya to do] than the CW-01 chassis for the Pumpkin and Lunchbox too?

Jx

Noo do not say that. I have a spare chassis and shell and feel the need to try it now.

arrggg I feel another unfinished project coming on

• Like 2

Well a WR02 can be stretched to fit a Montero or even a Wrangler shell, so a Lunchbox or Pumpkin should be a doddle ;) 

DSCF3397

DSCF3399

DSCF7869

DSCF7825b

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, IBIFTKH said:

Well a WR02 can be stretched to fit a Montero or even a Wrangler shell, so a Lunchbox or Pumpkin should be a doddle ;) 

I'd like to add that flipping the suspension arms is enough for using some bodies on the WR-02

Marui Super Wheelie Jeep and Landcruiser: Flip front suspension arms (as WR-02C Honda City)

Tamiya Pajero/Montero Wheelie: Flip front suspension arms (as WR-02C Honda City)

Lunchbox: Flip both front and rear suspension arms and use TA02 front / TA03 dogbones. Lengthen the wheelie bar with screws and bushings like WR-02G (the tractors)

Pumpkin: Though both the Lunchbox and Pumpkin fit on the CW-01 Chassis, flipping the suspension arms doesn't result in a wheelbase long enough for the Pumpkin. I have used the the Square WR-02 Long Wheelbase Conversion kit, which gives a 210mm wheelbase, which is pretty much perfect for the Pumpkin shell. This can of course also be used for the Lunchbox shell, but in my opinion, flipping the suspension arms is good enough. Actual wheelbase of the Lunchbox shell is about 203mm and for the Pumpkin shell about 210mm, and this explains why flipping suspension arms is enough for the Lunchbox, but not the Pumpkin. As the TL01 suspension arms are a twopiece design, spacers can be put between the two halves to adjust wheelbase somewhat. I experimented with this with the hope that this would be enough for the Pumpkin to not have to buy the relatively expensive Square LWB-set, but it wasn't feasible in a way I considered goodlooking and practical.

Marui Big Bear: Square LWB-set and flipping the front suspension arms.

• Like 3