Sign in to follow this  
Grastens

Lancia 037 Alternative Decals

With the new Lancia 037 coming out, I am eager to get my hands on one. Given the relative ubiquity of Martini Racing 037s, I was hoping to secure an alternative decal sheet to depict a different car, i.e. one of the Lancia junior team's Totip racers, or a Würth-sponsored car, or some sort of regional/privateer entry.

However, outside of a rare set of 1:10 scale decals that have been untraceable afterwards, I have never seen an alternative decal sheet that would fit an 037 in this scale.

Is there something I have missed, then? I see that The Rally Legends had several 037 body sets depicting different liveries from the 1983 season, but cannot find the individual body sets for sale, let alone decal sheets. I cannot justify taking on an extra shell just for the decals yet, but for the right livery, I could. I say this, seeing an alternative Martini set with a body online, though I would not even be using the entire sheet in that instance; hence, my reluctance.

Otherwise, I will either be designing my own from an existing scale model decal sheet, or scavenging decals from other 1:10 sheets to replicate an alternative livery. These seem the more likely options, though I wanted to check here in the hopes that somebody knows something I do not. Hopefully, this topic can also help somebody with a similar intention for their re-re-release Lancia.

Thanks in advance!

I was saying something similar in the 934 thread a few minutes ago.  If Tamiya wouldn't limit body kits so much, people would make more effort to create new liveries for the popular race cars.  Seems like they make one spare body set for every 200 models they sell.  They become scarce collectibles that get hoarded rather then an accessory people would buy more of.   Who's going to go through the trouble trying to make decal sets when a $150 car gets discontinued and a spare body set starts to cost $175 on fleabay.  No to mention that many of them could fit other kits/chassis and people would buy them if they would just make more of the **** things.  Should be available as a 'hop up' option as a full set with all plastics.  They used to do this quite a bit years ago, but no so much today. 

Funny thing is re re's of 'older' models like the Sand Scorcher or Rough Rider have full, complete ABS body sets available, just like the old days.  My LHS in the 80's had a full section of just full body kit sets from Tamiya, I must of bought at least 10 Countach CS shells back in the day.  In cases like the rough rider, you can't even get the kit itself any more, but the full true abs body sets are out there and reasonable.  The Porsche GT2, not so much, it takes 4 different orders from 3 different countries to put one together, and they're still on the shelves-and it nearly costs the same as the kit for a *******in lexan body set.  Go figure.  So who's going to bother to make another set of decals for one? 

If they made more body kits for hot sellers, maybe people would make stuff like this

Tiger+Sebring1249328271.jpg

Or this

NincoLancia037_121_01.jpg

(which also ran with full night lighting kit)

lancia037rotanes85.png

You can buy a complete body kit for the Sand Scorcher with all ABS, chrome, clear parts and decals for $38 and it comes in a nice box.  There isn't much of a market for 'authentic' livery sets.  A lexan GT2 porsche body with a couple small plastic sprues you have to source separately  is nearly unobtanium and about $100 to cobble together. Let alone the 934 bubble lexan shell.  Strange how they do choose to do that.  If they offer a bunch of full body kits for the lancia like the SS, I'm sure somebody will step up and make decals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found a source for the Rally Legends 037 Totip car; that can be seen here:

EZRL2435TT_037_B2B.jpeg

... I would almost rather not, looking at the quality, but then again those stripes can be managed with some masking and/or a brush. I hope it is only poor presentation that deters me, even if at the price after shipping for decals only, I might as well take a bodyshell.

I seem to remember a vendor with 1:10 decals for the car that ran in the 1983 Rallye Deutschland...

Seeing the 1985 Costa Brava car again reminds me of this wonderful custom work from a TC member. It seems he scanned and resized his decals from a 1:24 scale kit, which was how I figured I would end up with a custom finish.

7 hours ago, kevinb120 said:

I was saying something similar in the 934 thread a few minutes ago.  If Tamiya wouldn't limit body kits so much, people would make more effort to create new liveries for the popular race cars.  Seems like they make one spare body set for every 200 models they sell.  They become scarce collectibles that get hoarded rather then an accessory people would buy more of.   Who's going to go through the trouble trying to make decal sets when a $150 car gets discontinued and a spare body set starts to cost $175 on fleabay.  No to mention that many of them could fit other kits/chassis and people would buy them if they would just make more of the **** things.  Should be available as a 'hop up' option as a full set with all plastics.  They used to do this quite a bit years ago, but no so much today. 

Funny thing is re re's of 'older' models like the Sand Scorcher or Rough Rider have full, complete ABS body sets available, just like the old days.  My LHS in the 80's had a full section of just full body kit sets from Tamiya, I must of bought at least 10 Countach CS shells back in the day.  In cases like the rough rider, you can't even get the kit itself any more, but the full true abs body sets are out there and reasonable.  The Porsche GT2, not so much, it takes 4 different orders from 3 different countries to put one together, and they're still on the shelves-and it nearly costs the same as the kit for a *******in lexan body set.  Go figure.  So who's going to bother to make another set of decals for one? 

If they made more body kits for hot sellers, maybe people would make stuff like this

Tiger+Sebring1249328271.jpg

Or this

NincoLancia037_121_01.jpg

(which also ran with full night lighting kit)

lancia037rotanes85.png

You can buy a complete body kit for the Sand Scorcher with all ABS, chrome, clear parts and decals for $38 and it comes in a nice box.  There isn't much of a market for 'authentic' livery sets.  A lexan GT2 porsche body with a couple small plastic sprues you have to source separately  is nearly unobtanium and about $100 to cobble together. Let alone the 934 bubble lexan shell.  Strange how they do choose to do that.  If they offer a bunch of full body kits for the lancia like the SS, I'm sure somebody will step up and make decals.

Fully agree regarding Tamiya just either being stupid or ignorant to the market on certain bodies. Surely they know they could sell loads more if they didn't limit them so much, meaning more income and happier customers, no? . Lexan ones for me that stand put, Lancer Evo V WRC, Corolla WRC, 206 WRC , I am sure I have left out loads, but there if they ever come up for sale, go for crazy money. 

James.

The M-chassis S2000 

Rarer than rocking horse pooh, sadly. HPI and now Pandora both make absolute abominations which are supposed to look like an S2000...

ABS isn't left out though, with the uprising of "crawling" and the cash cow that must be; why can't we have that Honda CRV back??! Instead we get the Isuzu Mu that nobody in their right mind asked for!

• Like 1

There are loads of rather interesting liveries for the cars that were used after the 1983 era...

Lancia 037 "Bastos" Rally Van Haspengouw 1985

zav-vy10.jpg

124_Lancia_037_Bastos_3_Rally_Van_Haspen

7 hours ago, EddScott said:

I had this shell custom painted. Been waiting for the re-re to use some of the decals.

65_F6_D316-7_E81-40_CB-_B31_D-29523_F3582_F0.jpg

Now that's a proper Jolly Club/Totip shell! Looking forward to seeing it completed :)

I was informed by resident expert Mokei Kagaku that the Rallye Deutschland livery I was thinking about was in fact a one-off project from Fineline Art. Apparently, there are signs the creator has since left the business, but with some persuading, perhaps she could do a run? The original listing was here, though the photos are long gone.

@njmlondon I have seen those liveries and love them - except, for some reason, the Eminence one... The Italian Rally one is new to me, though! Thanks for the continued inspiration :)

So, it seems outside of the one-off Fineline Art entry and some questionable Rally Legends decals, the choices are all custom, whether paint or decals. It will work for me! I might pick up some Studio 27 decals, scan them, and resize for 1:10...

Edit: PM sent to you, firefoxussr ;)

I have an 85% done Totip livery drawn up. Haven't worked on it in a couple months. Just needs stripes.

It's all done in Adobe Illustrator, so very high quality and easily manipulated. If you want a copy of the digital file, PM me.

dGYk8ek.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1