howaboutme

Hotshot Suspension Upgrade Options

Hi all,

In anticipation of receiving the new MIP ball diffs, I am planning to mod my hotshot re-re. After the drivetrain upgrade will be the suspension. Therefore, I'm in a quest to find a way to upgrade the suspensions to independent shocks. I was counting on the radshape hopups but it looks like they are going out of business and it is not clear they have both front and back in stock. See this thread I started separately: 

Other than radshape, what are my alternatives? I'm not completely fluent in all things Tamiya so I'm sure I'm not aware of what's out there. So far, I know we have Supershot parts, Bigwig/Boomerang parts or finding the HP upgrade. All not completely ideal. Any turnkey solutions? If I have to source parts separately, what do I need? My research so far doesn't yield much as most people just recommend the radshape parts. A lot of images but very few descriptions of what they actually did.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

RCChannel used to do something with independent shocks, although I can't see it on their site now. They do some nice metal suspension arms http://www.rcchannel.com.tw/index.php?cPath=27 although it does add quite a bit of weight.

You could try Grahoo's solution http://www.rcchannel.com.tw/index.php?cPath=27.

My Boomerang with the RC Channel arms,

Alitalia Boomerang 1.JPG

Boomerang.jpg

@Finman Yeah, thanks! I know about RC Channel but they don't seem to have the products they had in the past. Too bad. I'm not specifically looking for the arms, just the independent shock upgrades. They do look great though!

The nice thing about the Hot Shot series is its all plug and play/ Lego approach. The suspension was adapted over the life of the chassis while the drive train stayed the same.

The H.P. suspension option is basically Supershot/Super Hot Shot parts. You'll need 2 CVA "long" shocks for the rear and 2 "short" CVAs for the front. The stock Hot Shot suspension arms can all be kept. You'll need BB27 and BB28 front damper stays (left and right front shock towers), and BB17/BB18 front under stays (lower front shock mounts) to mount up the front shocks. At the rear, you'll need BD10 rear damper stay and BD11 stay mount (rear shock tower assembly) as well as 2 BB25 rear under stays (rear lower shock mounts) to mount up the rear shocks. Screw bag B would be helpful as it includes some useful hardware and (according to the manual) has the BB27/BB28/BB25s/BB17/BB18 in it as well. All these parts can be seen assembled and in diagram form in the Tamiya Super Hot Shot manual available for free download on the Tamiya USA website.

The other option for the front (which yields a bit more suspension travel) is to use the Big Wig setup. The Bigwig mounts the shocks (CVA "short" again) ahead of the front arms which requires replacement of the front arms. You'll need BigWig "F-parts" tree to get the front arms and the "C-parts" tree to get the front shock towers. 

At the rear, you're kinda stuck with the Super Hot Shot setup. You could technically mimic the Hot Shot 2 setup, but only the rear arms are currently produced (through the Big Wig and Boomerang). The actual rear Hot Shot 2 shock tower is discontinued.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

The nice thing about the Hot Shot series is its all plug and play/ Lego approach. The suspension was adapted over the life of the chassis while the drive train stayed the same.

The H.P. suspension option is basically Supershot/Super Hot Shot parts. You'll need 2 CVA "long" shocks for the rear and 2 "short" CVAs for the front. The stock Hot Shot suspension arms can all be kept. You'll need BB27 and BB28 front damper stays (left and right front shock towers), and BB17/BB18 front under stays (lower front shock mounts) to mount up the front shocks. At the rear, you'll need BD10 rear damper stay and BD11 stay mount (rear shock tower assembly) as well as 2 BB25 rear under stays (rear lower shock mounts) to mount up the rear shocks. Screw bag B would be helpful as it includes some useful hardware and (according to the manual) has the BB27/BB28/BB25s/BB17/BB18 in it as well. All these parts can be seen assembled and in diagram form in the Tamiya Super Hot Shot manual available for free download on the Tamiya USA website.

The other option for the front (which yields a bit more suspension travel) is to use the Big Wig setup. The Bigwig mounts the shocks (CVA "short" again) ahead of the front arms which requires replacement of the front arms. You'll need BigWig "F-parts" tree to get the front arms and the "C-parts" tree to get the front shock towers. 

At the rear, you're kinda stuck with the Super Hot Shot setup. You could technically mimic the Hot Shot 2 setup, but only the rear arms are currently produced (through the Big Wig and Boomerang). The actual rear Hot Shot 2 shock tower is discontinued.

Wow! Thank you!

I think I just found all of those parts from a combination of sources, rcmart and JR-RC. Anyone order from JR-RC? I'll try to see if I can find these on ebay as well. One thing is for sure, this is going to cost a pretty penny...

Edit..I see a thread on TC about Jason RC...may have to source remainder elsewhere...

Edited by howaboutme
  • Like 1

Ok..I went ahead and ordered the parts sans hardware from rcmart. Figured I can't go wrong there....I'll try to source the hardware from spares I have from my HS build, etc...Thanks!

image.png.6196316fe6eb9cc99f4f54496e5acbb0.png

• Like 3

They are here! Thank you all for your help! Need to figure out the shocks now...can't find the long shocks easily but since I'm not worried about staying w/ Tamiya, looking at various other possibilities now. Will probably start a new thread for that!

odMBDVu.jpg

9 hours ago, howaboutme said:

They are here! Thank you all for your help! Need to figure out the shocks now...can't find the long shocks easily but since I'm not worried about staying w/ Tamiya, looking at various other possibilities now. Will probably start a new thread for that!

odMBDVu.jpg

I would double check with Supershot owners on shock length. I have a Thunder Dragon which had the option for the old Long Shocks as an upgrade, but when i put modern Tamiya CVA Short Shocks on it (50520) in the longest 94mm eye to eye length option, they fit the Long Shock position on the towers perfectly. 

• Like 1

Hey guys..

I'm not married to Tamiya shocks. In fact, I may prefer others but haven't decided yet. I found on this site (can't seem to find it now) that the short cvs is 82mm and the long is 103mm (based on 50305 and 50304). If anyone can confirm, thank you.

I did see in rcmarts description of 50520 that it can go to 94 mm....So why the difference between "short" and "long" if the "short" can go "long"?

I assume that if the long is 93mm on the rear that it can easily take 90mm shocks?

Thanks!

Tamiya's naming is a little confusing because it comes from so far back. The old Long Shock (not made anymore) could be built up to 105mm. The Short Shock was so called because it was shorter than the Long Shock. The modern Short Shock (50520) can be configured from 80mm-94mm depending on eyelet and internal spacers. Shorter than this is the Mini Shock (50519) which can be build anywhere from 55mm (for some touring and rally cars) through 64mm to 70mm which covers off the front suspension on a lot of 2WD and 4WD buggies (although not the Hot Shot I believe). The complete set is the Super Mini Shock (50746) which is 50mm stroke for touring cars.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Tamiya's naming is a little confusing because it comes from so far back. The old Long Shock (not made anymore) could be built up to 105mm. The Short Shock was so called because it was shorter than the Long Shock. The modern Short Shock (50520) can be configured from 80mm-94mm depending on eyelet and internal spacers. Shorter than this is the Mini Shock (50519) which can be build anywhere from 55mm (for some touring and rally cars) through 64mm to 70mm which covers off the front suspension on a lot of 2WD and 4WD buggies (although not the Hot Shot I believe). The complete set is the Super Mini Shock (50746) which is 50mm stroke for touring cars.

Ok. So it sounds like all I need is 1 set of 50520 and 1 set of 50519 for the complete shock set? That would be easier then determining which of the hundreds of other brands will fit. Thank you!

they will be a different colour though as Hotshot/Hotshot (and Super Sabre) were only cars to use red. Most others are CVA yellow like the Boomerang, Supershot and Bigwig.

1 hour ago, Baddon said:

they will be a different colour though as Hotshot/Hotshot (and Super Sabre) were only cars to use red. Most others are CVA yellow like the Boomerang, Supershot and Bigwig.

Yeah, I have seen the yellow of the period parts but these below are all black, unless picture is incorrect?

http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-50519-55mm64mm67mm70mm-mini-shock-unit-p-16274.html

http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-50520-80mm87mm94mm-short-shock-unit-p-8386.html?cPath=389_390

Black would work for me....

2 hours ago, howaboutme said:

Ok. So it sounds like all I need is 1 set of 50520 and 1 set of 50519 for the complete shock set? That would be easier then determining which of the hundreds of other brands will fit. Thank you!

I think you need to ask about this with someone who has a Super Hotshot (not me!), but I am fairly sure you need 2 x sets of 50520 built in slightly difference configurations front to rear.

41 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I think you need to ask about this with someone who has a Super Hotshot (not me!), but I am fairly sure you need 2 x sets of 50520 built in slightly difference configurations front to rear.

Yes, was planning to start a new thread once I get organized. However, if anyone that has a Supershot wants to chime in, please do! Thank you.

I found someone who measured his supershot shock lengths from eye to eye. They are 75mm front and 98 mm back. So I'm getting a few different numbers...

3 hours ago, howaboutme said:

I found someone who measured his supershot shock lengths from eye to eye. They are 75mm front and 98 mm back. So I'm getting a few different numbers...

That isn't going to work with modern tamiya cva shocks then. Gmade diaphragm shocks are alloy but seem similar otherwise and have 75mm and 103mm length options. Pop a 5mm spacer inside the long shock and you are sorted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

That isn't going to work with modern tamiya cva shocks then. Gmade diaphragm shocks are alloy but seem similar otherwise and have 75mm and 103mm length options. Pop a 5mm spacer inside the long shock and you are sorted.

Yes, looking at gmade as well as some other options. Thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks! Yes, I found that build thread prior but it's a victim of the photobucket debacle! It's this?

Also found the thread that talked about the length of the front and rear shocks, based on 50305 and 50304 at 82 and 103mm respectively. (I've corrected my previous post above.) This thread gives a bit more insight on the shocks (in this case, subject is Boomerang).

Based on this thread:

The Radshape mod is 70 and 90. It sounds like I may need to just build the shocks towers and then measure for myself and then test since I've chosen to go via the supershot route.

3 hours ago, howaboutme said:

Thanks! Yes, I found that build thread prior but it's a victim of the photobucket debacle! It's this?

Also found the thread that talked about the length of the front and rear shocks, based on 50305 and 50304 at 82 and 103mm respectively. (I've corrected my previous post above.) This thread gives a bit more insight on the shocks (in this case, subject is Boomerang).

Based on this thread:

The Radshape mod is 70 and 90. It sounds like I may need to just build the shocks towers and then measure for myself and then test since I've chosen to go via the supershot route.

Best bet for sure. Actual measurements for the win every time.

I recently picked up a FactoryWorks chassis Boomerang chassis for my Hotshot.  It comes with an FRP version of the boomerang rear shock tower.  I installed standard Super Hotshot front shock towers.  I just happened to have a set of HPI Blitz dampers that fit fairly well.  It's just mocked up for now; waiting for the MIP ball differentials before I do final assembly. 

IMG_0915.JPG

• Like 1

@manny Looks great! I also looked into the factory works chassis. Any chance you can post product #'s for your shocks? HPI's are a pretty penny but they look nice! Thanks!

Try these HPI part numbers :  103395 .  103410 . . They are pricey but my set were leftover from an old Blitz ESE kit.   If you look on Ebay, you can find the plastic versions as well. 

• Like 1