Sign in to follow this  
thunderboltkid77

Holiday buggy painting and weathering post spray job

HI All

I purchased a Holiday buggy from my local model shop which was part completed...well sprayed olive green already and I have just finished it off.  It has a non-stock more powerful 540 motor, full race bearings and upgraded front suspension.  Whilst the olive green paint is great looking and I have used some of the supplied decals and my own, the guy who had it before me did not do the greatest spraying job.  He didn't use a primer (I know some don't like this as it gives a 'mottled' effect - personally I like it) and after a run in the street (and a bash or two) the paint is flaking off.  Can anyone help me with ideas for painting/weathering as I have never even attempted this before.  It would be nice to patch it up and at the same time make it look great...all help gratefully recieved.  Please see pic

P1010534.JPG

If it were me I'd try to sand off and remove as much of the primer as I could.  Ideally you'd want to strip it all off and get it back to the base plastic.  Then I would clean it really well, spray a silver coat, let it dry, spray a really light coat of rust color flat paint over the silver, and then top coat it with whatever color you'd like it to be.  After everything is cured, you can take some fine sandpaper and lightly sand through the top coat in spots you think would wear in real life, exposing the rust colored paint, and silver so it looks like bare metal.  If you were really feeling adventurous you could use the salt method to get a chipping effect before you spray your top coat.  It's a scale modelers trick that works very well for realistic looking paint chips.  There's lots of good Youtube videos on this method.  Then you can use some darker color washes to simulate grime. 

These are the methods I used to weather my Unimog body.

39089350395_60e3603063_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

I'd probably start over.  I'm not sure if a product like ELO would damage that type of plastic, but it's generally safe for most plastics.